• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10 vs Remington 700 SR

Grumulkin

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a Thunderbeast can coming sometime in the next few months once the BATFE gets through their extensive stamp issueing process. Both the Savage 10 and the Remington 700 SR can be obtained with threaded barrels. I would like a precision bolt action rifle and it doesn't have to be either of those; i.e., I would pay more if paying more actually got me a lot better performance.

Opinions pro and con regarding the aforementioned rifles would be appreciated as would suggestions regarding other choices. The use of the rifle would be mainly hunting where a shot at a small target at 300 to 400 yards like a groundhog or raccoon wouldn't be unusual. I don't mind a light rifle (I'm very recoil tolerant) and a 10 lb. rifle wouldn't bother me either.

If you can shoot & hit a 3" dot from 100-400 yards the gun wont matter the shooter matters.
All I own are Savage rigs, some stock, some I built to my personal specs. They all will do the job to 700 yards.
Many will say precision and stock guns don't mix also, to bad that's an untrue statement these days.
Caliber has a lot to do with your wants, will it be small bore or large bore & heavy recoil which has a factor in the shooting of said weapon.
My own Thunderbeast can will be used on my .223s to my 30-06 rigs and as stated I have no problem with my rigs to farther distances.
My rigs run from 7lbs to 12lbs as well.
Hopefully this don't turn into a this brand is better than that brand bashing post.

If you're planning on shooting subsonic I would go with the fastest Twist u can find. I have both a 700 and savage model 10. I like the savages because of the accustock, trigger and ease of caliber change. Your taking a chance on either weather or not its gonna be a good shooter. If you go savant its a whole lot cheaper to rebarrel it.

Ford v. Chevy, either will get you where you want to go.

Many folks go with a 700 AAC-SD and put it in an aftermarket stock; same can be said of the 11 Hog Hunter. Other Savage options are the 10P-SR (18"), 10PC (20"), 10FP-SR (22"), or 10TR (20 or 24"), all with somewhat different feature sets and price points.

Somewhat upmarket options are a 700 5R with threaded factory muzzle, or perhaps a 10FCP-McMillan and send it to be threaded. Also SERIOUSLY consider a Tikka T3 CTR, and a FN SPR A1.

I've had a number of rifles from Remington and Savage. Both companies have good reputations for making accurate rifles.

Remington has a better fit and finish and a more refined action, it's smoother and, to me, seems better. Savage is spartan but considerably less expensive if you shop around. Also, Savage rifles are easier to swap barrels in your home shop.

It really depends on what your priorities are.

Both offer a way to do what you are wanting. IMO, however, WHEN you go to re-sell the rifle, for some reason, Remington rifles seem to hold their value better. I've owned BOTH, and I've SOLD both, so I'm talking from experience. I know there are people on here who would "never by a Remy over a Savage", but those 9 people here in North America aren't who I'm referring to. If you aren't worried about that, then buy what feels the most comfortable for YOU when you shoot. Congrat's on getting the can - we folks here in IL can only dream of such things... :D

I had never thought about a Tikka. I guess there is the Tikka T3 Tactical and the Tikka T3 Tactical CTR. They both look very nice but I couldn't find the CTR version on gunbroker.com. It would appear that the CTR is about 0.5 lbs. lighter than the other and has a 10 round magazine capacity rather than 6. I have nothing against Remington or Savage but the Tikka is looking very attractive.

I had never thought about a Tikka. I guess there is the Tikka T3 Tactical and the Tikka T3 Tactical CTR. They both look very nice but I couldn't find the CTR version on gunbroker.com. It would appear that the CTR is about 0.5 lbs. lighter than the other and has a 10 round magazine capacity rather than 6. I have nothing against Remington or Savage but the Tikka is looking very attractive.

Give EuroOptic a call about the T3 CTR.