• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FCP 5R HS

Jdaniel343

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Casper,WY 82601
I just received my Savage 10FCP 5R HS this past Friday.
I spent the weekend bedding the picattiny scope base, lapping the lugs, opening up the stock slightly as it was touching the action and then skim bedding the action.
I made 2 trip to local gun store to return scope rings. I tried Burris med. tactical, low tactical and finally settled on 30mm low quick detachable rings.
I mounted a Vortex 6x24 50mm PST MOA to the rifle. I think the picattiny base was somewhat high. I am using a Savage EGW Heavy Duty Low Mount 20moa by the way.
I just received reloading dies and will begin loading for a ladder this week. Hopefully I will have the load figured out within a week or 2 depending on weather.
I plan on shooting 168 SMK to start with. I am thinking of trying 185gr Berger match hybrid target for 1000 yd shots.
I need a good bipod without breaking the bank ( I think its already broke). I have 3 Harris bipods, 2 BR models. None swivel and none have the notched legs. I am thinking of just getting another Harris BR that swivels.
I notice there are some bipods that swivel and cant, I would think this is a good feature.
Any input will be appreciated.

whats your twist rate? 1/10 and whatcal? I have found that my loads of,
43 grains RE15
CCI BR2 primers
175 Sierra MK seated @ mag length
Mixed brass
are sub moa and awsome loads. I'm also shooting a Savage 10fcpHS and its a realy sweet gun man. I've done two matches with it so far and it realy worth the money I've invested in it. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

Mine is a 1-10" twist and has the 5R barrel.
I am using Alliant 2000MR, was able to get 5 lbs all with same lot number.
I am happy with this powder as it meters very well and I seem to have gained some velocity.
I am using Lapua brass, CCI 200 primers and am still checking out bullets, 168 SMK, Berger 185 VLD Hunting, 185 OTM Tactical, Lapua 155 Scenar.

Just swap a Harris BR off one of your other rifles. Takes like 5 seconds. Then work up your load, build funds for a much superior Atlas and go on with your life. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a 5r rifling mean it has a11.25 twist rate? I've heard that other savage 5r rifles don't have this twist rate

Night eagle

I have a Savage 110 FCPK 308. I hand load for mine and use 168gr BTHP Sierra Match King bullets over 44gr of IMR 4895, Winchester brass and a .030 head space. This rifle really likes this load and I am getting 1/2 inch 5 shot groupings at 200 yards. Only shot 50 rounds through her but for the money I am really pleased. What have you heard about the 110 BA? I'm thinking about trying one in 300 WIN MAG.

I will note that I am about 1/8" short of magazine length when seating 168 SMK's to the rifling.
I have loaded Berger 185gr VLD's lightly jammed in the rifling and they too are about 1/8" short of max. length for the magazine.