• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FCP-K w/ New XLR Evolution Stock!

BigDKC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
KCMO
Hey guys, I am running real short on time here as I am just about to walk out the door to head out of town for the weekend!

BUT before I do I wanted to post up some pics of my new stock! This is the XLR Industries Evolution stock. Kyle @ XLR just built this one for me, and I gotta tell you, this guy and his firm are seriously going places! It won't be long and the will have a huge waiting list to get a stock made like everyone else!!

This thing is simply fantastic!!! I absolutely love it, and Kyle has to be the best person I have ever done business with. I had a host of little details that were required and he whipped all of them without breaking a sweat! Top notch businessman, top notch product, and top notch customer care. This is what it is all about!

Here is the build out:

Action: Savage 10FCP-K (accustock model with 4.4" spacing and bottom bolt release)
Chassis: XLR Evolution
Color: "Redstone" (but I asked him to try to get as dark and as brown as possible, he did perfect!!)
Buttstock: Premier Adjustable
Options: AICS mag inletting, AICS 10rd .308 mag, ACE folding stock kit, 14" forearm

And some pics. Most of these represent the color ok, but a couple don't for some reason. It's really more of a bronze/brown then the pinkish it can look.

Let me know what you think! I will have a range report when I get back from the weekend!!

sav1.jpg

sav2.jpg

sav3.jpg

sav4.jpg

sav5.jpg

Re: Savage 10FCP-K w/ New XLR Evolution Stock!

sav6.jpg

sav7.jpg

sav8.jpg

sav9.jpg

That's it for now, I'm headed out the door! Ill answer questions etc when I get back!!

THANKS AGAIN TO KYLE @ XLR!!!

You rock brother!

Man that is an awesome stock. Does the stock attach using only to the action with the 2 bolts? It looks like it might clamp the barrel where the Savage barrel nut is.

Very nice. I'm hoping to get one for one of my rifles in the future.

JMC

Sir you have one fantastic rifle, It is awesome looking. A look at things to come. Many thanks. MM

Color me jealous! I have my $$$ tied up in a SSS laminate stock that ill probably be waiting for for a while. Its going to be a nice stock, I know, but I have been leaning toward the modular stocks more lately and xlr is where it is at as far as I'm concerned. Not sure the fcp-k setup will do the stock justice but its a start - my fcp-k is no longer an fcp-k. Took the muzzle brake off, removed the accutrigger and replaced it with an SSS trigger and tossed the accustock, LOL! Savages are accurate but they're not sub MOA guaranteed...hopefully the xlr is a big help - definitely improved its looks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Color me jealous! I have my $$$ tied up in a SSS laminate stock that ill probably be waiting for for a while. Its going to be a nice stock, I know, but I have been leaning toward the modular stocks more lately and xlr is where it is at as far as I'm concerned. Not sure the fcp-k setup will do the stock justice but its a start - my fcp-k is no longer an fcp-k. Took the muzzle brake off, removed the accutrigger and replaced it with an SSS trigger and tossed the accustock, LOL! Savages are accurate but they're not sub MOA guaranteed...hopefully the xlr is a big help - definitely improved its looks! </div></div>

Did you even shoot it first?

Of course! Brand new out of the box it shot very well, sub MOA pretty consistently. As soon as I removed the stock to adjust the trigger and reinstalled it(according to the instructions) it never shot consistently again - the torque on the wedge would never hold and different torque would cause the groups to go haywire. Ditched the wedge in favor of a traditional bedding job and accuracy improved, better than new. But the stock is too light and not suited for me for prone shooting, so off it went in favor of a three-pound-heavier choate custom tactical. And the accutrigger had a hard time holding the sear back and would cause it to jam against the accublade. I know about the trigger pull weight causing this but 2.5 pounds is not a light trigger, IMO, and while the accutriggers are probably the best factory triggers out there they don't hold a candle to the SSS trigger I have on there now, which breaks like glass at 15 ounces and has yet to cause a missed fire.
And I loved the muzzle brake but they aren't legal for NRA competition. I'm not going to any national events or anything but they are still frowned upon at the local matches I attend so it had to go...

Amazing a savage can turn into that! Very cool.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course! Brand new out of the box it shot very well, sub MOA pretty consistently. As soon as I removed the stock to adjust the trigger and reinstalled it(according to the instructions) it never shot consistently again - the torque on the wedge would never hold and different torque would cause the groups to go haywire. Ditched the wedge in favor of a traditional bedding job and accuracy improved, better than new. But the stock is too light and not suited for me for prone shooting, so off it went in favor of a three-pound-heavier choate custom tactical. And the accutrigger had a hard time holding the sear back and would cause it to jam against the accublade. I know about the trigger pull weight causing this but 2.5 pounds is not a light trigger, IMO, and while the accutriggers are probably the best factory triggers out there they don't hold a candle to the SSS trigger I have on there now, which breaks like glass at 15 ounces and has yet to cause a missed fire.
And I loved the muzzle brake but they aren't legal for NRA competition. I'm not going to any national events or anything but they are still frowned upon at the local matches I attend so it had to go...
</div></div>

Ah. Yeah, the wedge thing is a little weird. I had to fight with mine the first day I had it (couldn't resist taking it apart). Luckily I did not screw up the accuracy.

Since you are using it for a match with those rules, I can see where you are coming from. I just hate to hear about people that don't even give the factory configuration a chance first. haha.

Oh, I shot it plenty while it was stock. Its one of the best bang for the buck rifles out there. I just like tinkering and changing shit, LOL!

BigDKC...very nice stock set up!

bodywerks & CavScout1983, Ive had my 10 FLCP-K action in and out of the AccuStock several times and it still bug holes out to 300 yards. I do not go by the user's manual but by the sequence for precision shooting from Chris Bezzina of Savage who was the major designer of the AccuStock. Those instructions are here on the forum.
Here is the page;
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...675#Post1609675

you're talking about working front to rear, starting at 10in/lbs, then 20, then 30, and so on right? Did that. Didn't help. Bottom line is it's too finicky and not worth it, when a good bedding job will do just as good or better and all you do is tighten both bolts to 55-65in/lbs and you're done.
I have a 110BA in 338 lapua that will probably never see the range until the accuwedge is ditched and the stock bedded.

bodywerks,
Man it's your weapon, go any direction you want. I don't find anything "finicky" about it, it's straight forward and very easy. Two other men on my former team have the 10 FCP-K also and they have not had any trouble either. I know one thing this is my first Savage and I'd been through many "issued" rifles over the past 30 years and this Savage shoots all the others lights out!
Happy Trails

i dont really like that type/style of stock, but thats a sweet ass rifle. i really like the clean look of it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MSG Janoski</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BigDKC...very nice stock set up!

bodywerks & CavScout1983, Ive had my 10 FLCP-K action in and out of the AccuStock several times and it still bug holes out to 300 yards. I do not go by the user's manual but by the sequence for precision shooting from Chris Bezzina of Savage who was the major designer of the AccuStock. Those instructions are here on the forum.
Here is the page;
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...675#Post1609675</div></div>

MSG- Thank you. I do not have that rifle anymore but if I buy another factory Savage (as opposed to piecing one together off a Savage action), I will definitely use this as a guide.

When I took it apart initially, I wasn't aware of what made an accu-stock an "accu-stock" and scratched my head like a monkey looking at a math problem until I figured it out. Once I got it back together, I never took it apart again as I had no need to. I never suffered any accuracy loss that I know of. If I did, it didn't lead to over MOA groups. Thing still shot better than I did.

Msg, could very well be the rifle, or heave forbid its the shooter
laugh.gif

But setting the accuwedge still takes more technique than just bolting the action to a nicely bedded stock. I'm not the only one that feels the accuwedge can cause more problems than it can fix. Even Fred at sharp shooter supply feels that way. Not everybody feels this way though and I'm glad your rifle is working for you.
still, when my 110 BA arrives the accuwedge is getting tossed and the stock bedded before a single shot is fired.

I love my Accustock (the trigger is a different story) but that XLR is cool as hell. Since you mentioned it was custom, can you tell me ...

How much does it weigh?
How much does it cost?
How long did it take?

+1. I'm about too see if someone wants my place in line for the SSS stock I have on order so I can get one of these instead...

bodywerks-

I'm sure you are aware of savage shooters forum. If you need to find someone to take your place in line at SSS, that would likely be the place to put it out for grabs.

Yes I am. I think I will keep it for now though, at least until after I shoot my 110ba to see how I like this style of stock for shooting.

Thanks for all the compliments guys!

I absolutely love this stock! The ergonomics just fit perfectly for me!! The grip feels amazing! I just got back from shooting it this weekend and it performed flawlessly for me! Feeding from the AICS mag is BETTER then the stock metal/mag for me. I had binding issues with the factory setup, right out of the box.

As far as improving accuracy, I can't really give much more then my personal experience on that simply because I am a straight up newbie to shooting heavier centerfire rifles. And definitely a newbie to anything long range! I can only say that it is way more accurate then I am at this point! Due to shooting conditions I was only able to get load workup data, and play around. My weather unit showed a heat index above 120f at the shooting position! It was hot. Real damn hot. Add to that I am using a temporary scope that completely blows. In fact it has failed on me for the third time and will be getting replaced this week. I spent way to many rounds just trying to get it sighted in and zeroed out! After that I shot my load workups at 100yds and another group of them at 300yds in ladder tests. After that I returned to zero to shoot some groups, but the scope did not hold zero and I wasted even more rounds trying to get it back. By then I was so damn hot and pissed off it was pretty pointless to go much further! I only got off 70rds total. We shot some pistols for a few minutes and said the hell with it and left. None of these issues had anything at all to do with the stock however! This was simply the weather and the shitty scope. I do feel absolutely confident that this rifle in the hands of a compitant shooter will be on par or better then just about any other non custom built rig!

I'll try to answer some of the questions:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Parkincense</span>: Yes it only attaches via the two action screws. The clamp around the recoil lug is used for securing the forearm. The area inside that clamp, where the recoil lug is at is hollowed out allowing it to free float. This is true with the barrel itself, it is also free floated. Basically this is just like a traditional stock in that everything is free floated. It also requires no bedding as the bottom of the action block is perfectly matched to the bottom of the receiver!

<span style="font-weight: bold">Snakum</span>: I don't know how much it weighs just yet as I haven't had the time to take it all apart and weigh it. I literally got it Friday morning, checked that everything was tight and secure, mounted my optics, and left a couple of hours later. I had to send my barreled action to XLR so he could custom build the action block as he did not have one for this model with the bottom bolt release setup. So when it came back to me it was already put together, ready to go. I will try to take it apart in the next couple days to get an answer on that. As far as cost goes they start @ $695, which is a STEAL for what you get!! It goes up from their based on the options you choose. As shown on mine, with the folding option, DBM in-letting, and 10rd AICS mag it comes out to $909. (keep in mind that mag is $74 by itself!) Kyle did an amazing job for me and had it done in less then two weeks!! And that was with having to design and draw up the custom parts for the bottom side bolt release! Not to mention the three days in that time that it took for me shipping my parts to him to be able to start! I can't speak for Kyle on this but the short answer is VERY quick on the delivery!!

As far as I am concerned it would be very difficult to do any better on this style of stock. I agree it isn't for everyone, but if you like this style of stock then you would be pretty hard pressed to get a better stock from anyone else. Not to mention the customer service you will get from Kyle and XLR is second to none!!

Snakum, I just took it all down and got some weights for you:

The XLR Evolution stock by itself weighs: 4lbs 7.4oz:
weigh1.jpg

The factory Savage Accu-Stock weighs: 2lbs 12oz:
weigh2.jpg

The barreled action with EGW 20moa base weighs in at: 5lbs 8.8oz. (sorry no pic of that)

Grand totals are:
Factory stock configuration (w/ EGW Base): 8lbs 4.8oz
XLR Evolution configuration (w/ EGW Base): 10lbs 0.2oz

Pretty damn good in my opinion!!

Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

Hey man. Does the folding stock mechanism lock in the folded position? Im probably gonna order my ACE adaptor shortly and just thought about that. Also is it hard to manipulate the fold?

It doesn't actually lock in the folded position but it does have spring tension on it that keeps it folded so it doesn't flop about. And no it's not hard to make it fold but the spring is fairly stiff!

I agree lol, however with myself behind the trigger I doubt it will be impressive!

Unfortunately I did not make it that far on the last range trip. With a heat index of 112f, taking way too many rounds on getting a good zero, then doing load work up, and finally my temp scope taking a dump on me for the 3rd time I called it quits! I still have two courses of load workup rounds sitting in the ammo box!

I will post some up after the next outing, but again I imagine it will be more of a display of my poor rifleman skills then of how well the stock and this rifle as a whole perform!

I can post up my load workup ladder test targets later when I get home. lol That's the only evidence I have at this point.

looks great. I should have mine this week.