• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FCP McMillan or Remington 700 5R?

zepheris.hk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2008
Houston, TX
I am debating between these two rifles in .308 and absolutely cannot make a decision. I have been doing a lot of research on both and I know I can't go wrong with either, but I would love to hear what others think on the matter. I tired using the search, but there were way too many hits for me to go through them, plus I do not think there were a direct comparison between these two.

Similarities:
-Cost (Only a difference in a few bucks)
-24" barrel
-Accuracy & reliability (Way more capable than I am)
-Great stocks/triggers

Savage 10FCP McMillan advantages over 5R:
-Factory McMillan A5 stock
-Detachable box magazine

Remmy 5R advantages over 10FCP:
-5R barrel configuration
-Has AL pillars in HS Precision stock

Also, does anyone know where I can find the Savage 10FCP McMillan in stock for a good price? How do I know it's the A5 version and not the A3 like they came with before (besides looking at a pic)?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Savage 10FCP McMillan or Remington 700 5R?

I don't have any expierence with the 5R but I do have a 700sps and I just bought a FCP 10 in the A5 McMilian and I have never been more pleased with any rifle as much as I have with the out of box accuracy of my FCP.

I have had both i like my mcmillan savage chaimber and throat over the remingtons 5R i also like the longer box mag in the savages as well.

at 2.840 i am .007 in the lands with a 155 scenar and mag feed.cant do that with a remington 5R.

The only thing i do not like about the savage is the bolt wants to bind if i ripe it hard. love the accutriger and safty location.

My savage shoots with any of my remingtons and better than some customs i have owned.

I havent found a load yet that will not shoot in the savage .and the savage has a 10 twist for heavys and subsonic loads !

I will report as i go,but at the moment i vote savage/mcmillan or savage/HS.

It is hard to beat the Savage 10FCP for what it offers a lot for the money. Also DIY barrel change when it comes time to replace the barrel. Like the HS stock model.

GC

Buy yourself a sps tact instead.Save a few hundred.Heck it shots a 100 yard group sane as my trg-22

Be carefull if you order the Savage somewhere.
On the savage website at http://www.savagearms.com/10fpmcmillan.htm, the 10FP McMillan is listed, not a 10FCP McMillan.

The 10FCP for 2009 has their new accustock (Not the McMillan), accutrigger, detachable box magazine, and muzzle break at http://www.savagearms.com/10fcp.htm The detachable box magazine bottom sits almost flush within the stock.

However, their downloadable 2009 catalog does show what your are asking for. I mention this warning to have caution because I ran to my local Wal-Mart to pick up the Savage 93BVSS 17HMR at an incredible price only to find that it did not have the Accutrigger. The Wal-Mart catalog and Savage website both indicated the accutrigger has always been there for the 2008 year, and Wal-Mart told me they just received that 1 month ago (12/2008). I figure it must have been a 2007 model they were advertising incorrectly.

I own the Savage 10FP .308 2008 model. 100% factory rifle and it shoots .5 MOA with handloads ( RL-15 44gr, Hornady 168gr A-MAX, WLR primter). It might do better, as I am still working the load up, and learning to shoot well myself still.

This is beating a dead horse. They both will shoot great and Savage and Remington owners will piss back and forth about how well each will shoot. In the end you need to buy the one that fits you best. Get your hands on each and see which one fits you best.

My .02cents

Nutt

Able's usually carries the newest models, but all their pictures of Savage McMillan do not show the A-5 stock.
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/advanced...mp;inc_subcat=1

I wonder if the A-5 was the wrong picture shown in the Savage catalog by mistake, as that stock is $498 by itself directly from the McMillan website. Good Luck and I hope you find it, as that would be a sweet deal.

I just ordered a Savage 10FCP with the A5 stock from Mel at Sniper Central for $1001.00 (members price) + $25.00 shipping to Florida. Give him a call and he'll hook you up. Also he reviewed this same rifle on his website. He said it'll take a week for him to receive the rifle and maybe 3-5 days for it to arrive to my FFL.

Hope this helps,

Joseph

The 10FCP McMillan has the A5 stock.

10fcp1.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">From The Sniper Central Review:</span>

It is a McMillan A5 stock with the standard McMillan black paint applied and the typical 3 swivel stud arrangement, 2 in the front, 1 in the back. The A5 is the most popular McMillan stock and for good reason, it is a fantastic design. It is very comfortable to shoot and it really helps line up everything well for the shooter. There really isn't much to be said about the stock design, it speaks for itself. But, I will mention a few things about the stock on this rifle and the execution. The stock on these FCP McMillan rifles are not glass bedded and there are no pillars as you can see in the picture below:

10fcp3.jpg

It is the same slightly rough finish that McMillan provides with their inletting. It is perfectly setup for glass bedding, but there is no glass bedding. Yes, these are factory rifles and not custom rifles and I actually did not expect for them to be bedded though that is the first thing I would do if I were purchasing one of these rifles, just go ahead and schedule the job with your gunsmith of choice as I think there is some easy accuracy to be gained. The stocks are not "sniper fill" either from McMillan, which is a denser fill to add weight and strength to the stock, and without pillars you will want to be careful not to torque the stocks down to the 65 inch-lbs that is so common. You'll probably want to be around 40 or 45 or risk crushing some of the stock.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This is beating a dead horse. They both will shoot great and Savage and Remington owners will piss back and forth about how well each will shoot. In the end you need to buy the one that fits you best. Get your hands on each and see which one fits you best.

My .02cents

Nutt</div></div>

i agree. i am a savage owner and i have shot a few remington 700's as well. the are both excellent rifles but in my opinion the only thing a factory remy has over a factory savage is more avalible aftermarket parts and more people willing to work on them

Thank you for all the feedback, I was leaning towards the Savage with the McMillan. Thanks for the heads up on places to order from as well.

Try the Sporting Arms Company of Lewisville website. Great prices and they have the Savage 10FCP in McMillan and H.S. stock.

The 10FCP with the McMillian runs about $175.00 more than the HS in most places, is there that much difference in the stocks of is it just a personal preference. I realized that stocks will fit people differently.

Remmy 5R or Savage???
Ask yourself this question? how long am I going to keep it ?? reason is search the internet for sale boards and see how many stock savages vs Remmy 5R's on the chopping block? also check to see which has the highest resale value.. Just a point to ponder... Resale should be considered... You may want to sell it later for a custom-Build
George of the Jungle

i went through the same thing you are going through now when i bought my 5r. i went back and forth for weeks trying to decide. i have no regrets with my rem. 1/2 groups @100 yds sometimes better. i basicly went with the rem because its a rem. i do agree with an earlier post though, look at both(if possible i couldn't find that particular savage anywhere in-stock to look at)then get what fits you best.

I myself went with the 10FCP with McMillan because of the awesome price. The McMillan stock alone is about $600. So that is like your getting the action and barrel complete shipped with FFL fee's for $500.

I talked to someone at Savage and they told me that bedding might not be needed with the McMillan stock. The barrel is free floated and the McMillan stocks are pretty heavy duty so pillars are not really needed. Regardless I think I still want it bedded as it's not that hard and guarantees a tight and custom fit.

I am going to shoot it first, and if it is about .5 MOA right out of the box then I am going to hold off on bedding. I have not shot mine yet as I am still waiting for my Vortex Viper PST. Which is backordered til early June is what i was told.

I own both Remington and Savage. Something to consider, buy Savage, if you want to tinker and customize and do the work yourself. That said... I recently bought a Savage 10FLCP-K that is just crazy accurate.