• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FP build: barrel profile?

emfour

Private
Minuteman
Guys,

I have my 10FP at Kevin Rayhill's waiting on a .308 WIN Benchmark barrel. I have never spec'd a "tactical" rifle before and I want to double check my decisions with y'all. I'm having him turn the barrel to a Sendero profile, 24" long and 0.95" diameter at the muzzle. Is this too heavy? I don't plan on dragging it through the mountains for days on end (well...then again you never know), but I don't plan on it being a range queen either. I'm not huge, about 5'9", 150lbs. As for the rest of the build, I have one of his varmint/tactical stocks, bolt handle and the Sharpshooter trigger. Also upgrading the magazine to center feed. He is also doing the normal truing, bedding, etc.

Any further suggestions? I have time before the barrel arrives to make adjustments... (he's probably sick of me calling!). Even though this work should be under $1K, this is a lot of $$ for me to be spending right now.

Thanks,

emfour

Re: Savage 10FP build: barrel profile?

What twist barrel? I think something in the 1:11 or 1:10 is best. Also, what stock are you considering? Also, I tend to like long barrels and would lean toward 26". It's kind of like free extra feet per second for the life of the gun, but that is just me as I like shooting out to 1000 yards.

I would have the bolt face cleaned up a bit as the factory bolt faces have a tendency to be a bit dished and I would have the action timed to assure it is up to it's very best. Probably not needed, but nice to have done when in the build.

I think you have a great plan and will ve very pleased. I would look to shoot Sierra MatchKing 175 grain bullets with 43.3 grains of VARGET seated to magazine length. This load is not one that will punish you or your gun and you should be able to shoot out to 1000 yards with it.

George

My 10FP/Ghost Dancer .260 uses a Lothar-Walther 28" 1:8" Stainless BR grade barrel with an L-W #5171 Savage Varmint profile, which properly duplicates the factory contour to fit a barrel channel designed for the factory barrel. My McM A-3 Tactical stock was inletted and factory pillar bedded with the factory barrel, and the L-W replacement/upgrade barrel fits perfectly.

The best advice I can give you is to let the professional builder make such choices. If the builder's worth their salt they know what works best and goes together with the least grief. You tell 'em what you want it to do, and they build it accordingly.

If somebody kept calling me up to tell me how to do my job, their next project would have an estimated lead time of approximately 27 years.

Greg

Thanks for the replys.

I'm not telling him how to do his job, just trying to make sure I'm having him do the right thing. I've actually only called him about three times in the last couple of weeks.

I don't think there was a problem with the barrel fitting the channel. The stock is Kevin's "Woodchuck". The barrel will be stainless (not sure the number) and 1:10 twist. I plan on shooting 175SMK with Varget. The factory barrel liked 43.7gr of Varget. My biggest concern at this point is that I'm not having him turn the barrel TOO heavy.

emfour

EDIT: Kevin is also truing and timing the action, squaring the bolt head surfaces - the works.