• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp... Detachable box mag?

916dude!

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2009
Sacramento,CA
I'm planning on buying a 10fp from a guy on the hide here and it has a 4round internal box mag and I was wondering if it could be converted to a detachable box mag?

Re: Savage 10fp... Detachable box mag?

yeah look at "is a savage worth custumizing" thread next page for a reference to such a beast.

Vbull Precision, company out of Canada, guy named Ed Begg, makes the best really only DBM for Savage, takes AI mags, few of us have them, they're extremely well made. John Wall, JW Precision on here, carries them. Another name you need to know if you're getting a Savage is Kevin Rayhill, Stockade Gunstocks.

Thanks for the input guys! I checked out that Vbul and it looks like a pretty sweet set up! I think I'm just gonna have to get one on order! Thanks foe the help!

Does inleting the stock for the vbull effect the integrity of the stock? The rifle I'm buying is in a B&c metalist stalk.

I sell a detach mag kit that uses all Savage OEM parts. It converts your current setup to the factory Savage setup. It's not as cool as the VBull, but it is another option.

How much is it? I went on that hi tech tactical link that as on your post but I didn't see it. Does it work as good as that vbull set up?

Does that savage setup come with an inlet diagram or do I just have to get a new stock for that one? And I know I could probably find out on savage's website, but do they have 10rd mags for their setup?

It looks like it just comes with the standard OEM Savage parts. SharpShooterSupply can inlet just about any stock to take the DBM parts. The cut out is the same for the DBM as the Drop Floor style bottom metal. The other thing you need to be aware of is that there is a difference in the action screw spacing between the older staggard feed internal box magazine design and the newer center feed style (which includes an internal magazine design, the DBM and the Drop Floor style. The newer screw spacing is 4.4" while the older staggard-feed design is 4.25". If you take a pic of your action out of the stock, we can tell you exactly what you have. Take a look on SavageShooters too for more info on the different desings of Savages. It used to be simple, just short and long action but now with the new screw spacing too, it's gotten to be complicated.

On the mags, the stock savage holds 4 x 308 size rounds. SharpShooterSupply was carrying a kit to make it a 9 round magazine but have dropped the kit and now just sell a 9 round magazine complete to fit the OEM savage floor plate.

There are some kits that make the older Savages DBM capable. Vbull is the only one that comes to mind but there are probably others. If you aren't confused yet, then you haven't been paying attention.

Mike

That Vbull kit is too damn spendy IMHO....

A little birdie has told me that AI is looking to design a chassis for the Savage SA soon.

Now that would be tits.... A couple hundred more bucks would get you a AICS instead of just a bottom metal kit...

Serious JRose, that would be way nice to be able to get an AI chassis for the savage.

That's what someone in the know has told me... I'm holding out for that...

My 10FP is a flat out shootin' sumbitch.... I just need a DBM in order to get more use out of it.

Thanks for the input! What you told me makes sence... Believe it or not! LOL... I'll check those sites and hopefully learn more! I'm a totall newby and I'm eager to learn so any info about anything is greatly appreciated!

but the question is, will the aics be for the stagger or center feed model? the vbull works on the staggered actions.

DBM...
I bought a VBULL for my wife's savage, cost with 10 round AICS mag...347 delivered...
Cost for Rem 700 Badger M5 w/AICS 5 round mag.....340 plus shipping ....

Both from board sponsors....

I have 2 DBM for remington sysyems...both around the 300 mark delivered with mags. From Board Sponsor....
NONE of it is cheap. ALL of it works very well.

If you have a Savage, the VBULL IS THE option for AICS mags today.
It works great and is a very nice piece of work.
What is the comment on high end optics....? Buy once, cry once...?!!

+1 for the V-Bull. They are pricey, but no more so than the Badger system, and quality is just as good, IMHO. John at JW Precision is GTG. Great customer service. Had mine in less than a week after ordering.

i hope the make one for the long action. will be kinda tricky for savage short action i think. they have had at leat 3 different lengths of short action over the years.

And Savage has redesigned their actions again for their Accu-Stock. And a little birdy told me that AI might not design an AICS for the Savage because of Savage changing thing all of the time.

Damn,
If Jeff at CDI makes a Savage DBM...old style S/A 4.25 receiver, I will have to buy yet another setup....

I tried to send Jeff at CDi an IM about this a short while back and never heard anything. I'd like to see one in long action that uses AICS mags.

-X

I went with the VBull system on my 10FP. I wish I had done a VBull on my GAP build as well. VBull is outstanding quality with some very cool features.

savc.jpg

By tman300wm, shot with Canon PowerShot SD900 at 2009-04-08

savdbm2.jpg

sav10fpdbm5.jpg

Where can i get a link to this "Vbull"?

I have a 10FP I'm interested in converting.

TIA.

ETA: Found it. Sorry.

yahoo or google it, but try Jeff at CDI. he makes a similar system now thats sweet and is a site sponsor

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

hey also, way to dig man, that was a dead topic. look at CDIs stuff it by far the best price for this conversion

That is digging deep. My next build is going to be this setup in a 260 rem. I like the SSS DBM but prefer Jeff's setup better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yahoo or google it, but try Jeff at CDI. he makes a similar system now thats sweet and is a site sponsor

http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/

hey also, way to dig man, that was a dead topic. look at CDIs stuff it by far the best price for this conversion </div></div>

Listen to Axe, I have the CDI and really like it. I had Jeff at CDI do the inlet (only $60) on my Choate and he had it done and back in the mail to me in less than 24 hours.

if you have an FP, its aftermarket you go. if you have an FCP with factory DBM, buy some 9 round mags from sharp shooter.