• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FP Full Renovation

ebnash

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2018
Los Gatos, CA
I purchased a Savage 10FP in .308 20ish years ago. I‘ve shot 1000’s of rounds through this gun and it has been in multiple stocks and worn multiple scopes over the years. Currently, it’s in an HS Precision Stock and accuracy has been falling apart on this rifle the last few times, it’s been to the range.

I’m kind of attached to this rifle, and don’t want to start over with something else. I’m here looking for suggestions/reference for a smith/company you recommend who could re barrel and chamber for 6.5 CM, true the action, and build this rifle to new life as a range tack driver in a proper stock or chassis system. My local range only reaches out to 200 yards, but I‘d like this to be competent out to a 1000 for when I have the chance to travel.

Open to any suggestions, but regardless, I’m stick with this action and want this caliber.

Thanks

I built a "22 trainer" out of a stock Savage 11 rifle throwing it into a chassis and upgrading the recoil lug to something wire EDM cut and a barrel from a company known for great barrels. I built it up myself without a gunsmith and I gotta say, it's hammer time when I take this guy out to the range. It's got me questioning just how much really does it matter about the action being trued/blueprinted. I'd say if you have the capability to do the barrel swap yourself to just give that a try with a new recoil lug to boot before going to the cost of having a gunsmith work on the action.

Reactions: sgtsmmiii
I built a "22 trainer" out of a stock Savage 11 rifle throwing it into a chassis and upgrading the recoil lug to something wire EDM cut and a barrel from a company known for great barrels. I built it up myself without a gunsmith and I gotta say, it's hammer time when I take this guy out to the range. It's got me questioning just how much really does it matter about the action being trued/blueprinted. I'd say if you have the capability to do the barrel swap yourself to just give that a try with a new recoil lug to boot before going to the cost of having a gunsmith work on the action.
Any write up on barrel and lug swap for early (pre accutrigger) 10 actions?

I’m still kind of leaning towards working with an experienced gunsmith, but curious to read up on this. Other than basic bolt strip/build and mounting/lapping rings, I have zero gunsmithing experience.

Any write up on barrel and lug swap for early (pre accutrigger) 10 actions?

I’m still kind of leaning towards working with an experienced gunsmith, but curious to read up on this. Other than basic bolt strip/build and mounting/lapping rings, I have zero gunsmithing experience.
As far as I am aware, the barrel and recoil lug swap should be exactly the same for any Savage with a barrel nut.

Later recoil lugs are thicker but not much, get a prefit of your choice if your in the states, buy a wheeler set of spanners and a go gauge and your off to the races

I have built multiple 223 trainers on Savage short action. I would buy a 6.5 Creedmoor prefit and DIY

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Thanks. Just watched a YT video on fitting prefit barrel and it looks super simple. Then I’m pretty sure the bolt face for .308 and 6.5 CM are the same.

Thanks

There are numerous YT videos on swapping out barrels, lapping the lugs, trigger work, etc., etc., for Savage actions. You do need a barrel vise in addition to the wrench for the barrel nut, and go/no go gages. It's a bit scary thinking about it, but it's not difficult, just find a YT'r that you can follow/understand. A couple have done a "series" of videos on what you want to do.

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
Northland Shooters Supply (NSS) was my go to years ago with savage. I’ve used several criterion prefits in 260 and 308 and the nss recoil lug/barrel nut combos. They have been very accurate

When looking for a chassis the older savages were 4.25” spacing on the action screws. These were mainly the internal box/stagger feed actions. The newer ones and most common are 4.4” spacing. These are center feed mags. Some detachable some internal.

Just fyi because of the age of your gun you’ll want to check

Reactions: Lightning8
If you are looking for a chassis the KRG Bravo chassis is coming out in a Savage offering.