• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp in .223 or .308?

galveston22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
Hello. New forum member here. I want to buy a Savage 10fp but cannot decide which caliber to get. I am selling my AK-47 on Gunbroker.com to get funds for the rifle. This will be a 100 yard paper puncher primarily, but I would like to get into some long range (400yds +) shooting. Can the .223 hang at 400, 500, 600 yards?

Re: Savage 10fp in .223 or .308?

Yes, and for cheaper than the .308.

I have a stock 10FLP in .308, and picked up a lightly used .223 barrel for @$130 plus a .223 bolt head/mag well for @$40. With the Savage you can swap barrels and re-headspace with Savages' barrel (Jam) nut. Now I have both rifles, for a few dollars more.

if you plan on shooting out to 600 yards and are on a budget, go with the 223, its a lot cheaper to shoot, and will perform very well for you at that distance

Steve

the .223 will be fine.

you can always switch out the necessary components as others have said.

Some its pretty much unanimous on the .223 for my purposes. Thanks for the great advice. I have new questions now. How do the two calibers compare for intrinsic accuracy. The rifling is 1:9", whats the best bullet weight for this twist rate? Do many people reload the .223 for better accuracy and lower cost per round or just stick with buying in bulk?

I just wanted to show off my AK. May be slightly out of place in a forum dedicated to surgical accuracy, but im sure at least one person will appreciate it. Everyone likes pictures right?

cimg3082.jpg

cimg3084.jpg

cimg3085.jpg

cimg3086.jpg

cimg3087.jpg

cimg3090.jpg

cimg3092.jpg

Nice looking AK. I'd do what was mentioned, get the 308 and a spare bolt head/mag follower and barrel for 223.

I'm doing a very similar thing with a 12FV in 204 Ruger that I'm making into a switch barrel with the 6-223.

For your purposes, definitely .223. Just make sure you get one of the newer 10fp's with the center-feed action. This will allow you to (much) more easily upgrade to a detachable box magazine setup further down the road.

As for range of .223, well NRA Highpower shooters shoot to 600 yds with .223 AR's using iron sights every week. And Palma guys go out to 1000yds with .223 and iron sights, so yes, it is plenty accurate to that range. Given that is for punching paper not harvesting game (2 or 4 legged), but the round is plenty accurate. To get out much past 600 yds, you would want a 1:7" - 1:8" twist bbl to utilize longer, heavier bullets, but 1:9 is a great compromise between the 1:7" military bbls and the 1:12"/1:14" varmint bbls. It allows you to use lightweight 40 some-odd gr. varmint bullets without over-stabilizing them (spinning too fast) as well as 55gr plinker ammo and 69gr match ammo.

.223 is going to cost approximately half as much as .308 to shoot when buying factory ammo. 55gr FMJ is great for plinking and 69gr match is great for accuracy. MANY MANY people reload .223 both for accuracy and for cost savings. With current ammo costs and availability, this is a great thing to look into (assuming you can find some friggin primers but that is another story).

In any case, 10FP's make wonderful starter guns to get into precision shooting. Check out Sharp Shooter Supply for some cool stocks you can think about adding later.

For scopes, there is a ton of info on this forum. To get you started check out the Millett TRS-1 4-16X50MM (~$300), and the Falcon Menace 4.5-14X42MM (~$400). For bases and rings, Millett makes quality stuff that'll cost you just under $100 for a quality picatinny rail and solid rings. They aren't going to be as good as the top notch stuff like Badger or Seekins you find on a lot of cool rigs on this forum, but they're way better than the average hunting fodder you find in most gunshops if you're on a budget.

Hope that helps
-Pete

Go with the .223 I shoot coyotes out to 500 yards with mine and chuckes have fallen out to 600. Those are the farthest so far. Thats because pretty much max distance for me where I live. And its a factory savage.