• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp LE1 opinions?

sims5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Central Ohio
Any thoughts or negatives on this Savage model 10fp LE1, .308 with a 20" barrel. Found a slightly used one and just curious if there is any opinions out there.

Re: Savage 10fp LE1 opinions?

Awesome gun i have the same one only down fall is the stock.It shoot the hell out of 168 bthp and 175 bthp both sierra with winchester brass and 42.8 grains of varget.I would definitely buy one again can't beat the price for the quality!!!!!

Buy it!! You won't be disappointed!! They're kinda like a Glock, they ain't pretty but they damn sure shoot!

Have a pair on 'em, .308/10 & .223/9, both shoot extremely well once they got Rifle Basix triggers and were stuffed into B&C stocks
grin.gif
. Still need to install the Badger bolt knobs I've had sitting for the past, OMG
eek.gif
...year. Both are scoped w/ SS 10X in PMI rings over Farrell 20MOA bases. Run FGMM 168, only been out to 300M and FGMM 69 only @ 100M.

Good basic rifles as is, better w/ assorted goodies though
grin.gif

Yeah I should have added that if is in the factory plastic stock, you'll need to replace that! They're a giant piece of shit! Put it in a decent stock and it'll shoot lights out!!

buy it, look on sniper central, jb weapons has a sweet stockdale for that very model for sale, very nice stock.

sweet rig. had to get rid of one awhile back but hope to replace it. best out of the box factory thing going, at least thats affordable.

I have one of the early 10fp's with the Mc Millon stock and the 26" pipe. I love it. For a stock gun I don't know that you could beat it. Mine loves Black Hills Match 168/175 BTHP. I've worked with it out to 600 yards and it never disappoints me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sims5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did a google and couldn't find a jb weapons </div></div>

sorry, its JB Weaponry

i bought my shillen from him. he is gtg and does smithing as well

My pard got one and its a shooter for sure. His really likes the Winchester Supreme 168 silvertips.

If you reload ammo specifically for your 10FP, you will be astonished by its "factory" accuracy. I regularly shoot sub half inch 5 shot groups with mine. Ditch the factory stock for a good aftermarket one (B&C, Manners, Stockade, McRee, etc.) Shoots a variety of bullets well from 110gr to 185gr.

Yea saw it, but I'm looking for a varmint style the same way he is.
I have a friend that has s 11fp 20" with some type of Choate stock, can't remember exactly the style but I'm hoping I'll end up with it shortly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sims5</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you suggesting the Hornady .308 WIN 155Gr TAP FPD ? </div></div>

Definately.

i have not heard of an 11fp, just the 10 fp. all 10fp's are blind mags i believe. perfect candidate for CDI bottom metal. the 10fcp is the factory DBM. cant say what they call that option in other series, sorry, my knowlege is limited to the 10 series. but savages site will tell you all you need to know

Sorry it is a 10fp 20" that I believe will be mine soon.
Thanks for the info on the blind mag.

the fp is a perfect candidate for CDI bottom metal, plus there is a really nice stock over on sniper central...in the kit forum

jdgray, that is a very nice looking rifle. The one I'm looking at has a choate varmint stock.

The choate stocks are very solid! Had 2 different models before the B&C, and thanks for the compliment
smile.gif

Parkincense, what you have found to be the best COAL for your 10FP? Sorry to hijack the thread.

Thanks! I've been running 2.795 so maybe I need to come out just a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KSP446</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Parkincense, what you have found to be the best COAL for your 10FP? Sorry to hijack the thread. </div></div>

Depends on what bullet is used. I have loaded 110gr Sierra JHP, 125gr Berger FB, 185gr Berger Long Range HPBT, Sierra 168's and 175's

155 grain sierra palma mk and 42.5 gr of varget is the ticket, despite being a 1:10 twist my three savages all have shot in the 2's and 3's when I do my part at 100. At 300 they have shot (again when I do my part) .5-.6 moa. For a factory button cut mass produced barrel, it is hard to justify tossing it, and trying another from one of the many fine companies that are found on the top BR shooters today.

Got my scope mounted today and the paint is dry so here are a few pics for ya. Thanks to all for the help and info.

Savage 10fp .308 20"
Choate Ultimate Varmint Stock (painted by me)
Mueller APT 4.5-14x40 with Burris XTR Med Rings.

I'll get some better pictures outside but couldn't wait to get these here.

Savage_10fp11.JPG

Savage_10fp3.JPG

Savage_10fp2.JPG

Savage_10fp4.JPG

Savage_10fp5.JPG

looks good. i have been looking at the mueller for another rifle, post your thoughts. i need to check that guys review too.

i should have mentioned my COAL 2.82 was for 168g smks.

I owned the Savage in .308 for many years. It had the old style trigger but it shot great! I did not like the plastic magazine follower but it never failed me. I sold it to a friend and he is still squeezing great scores out of it. It's a great rifle for the money!

Flash