• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage 10fp problems with part....

Blk04SR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
SoCal
Well I have a savage 10 fp .308 and bought a B & C stock plus the CDI bottom metal DBM kit and I started to put it together and it just doesn't impress me much at all. I've just had problem after problem with this rifle I must be a lemon or something. The Bach screw behind the trigger doesn't stay in and the very front screw hits the bolt so now I have to either grind it down or find small enough lock washers. This damn rifle has been a headache. I don't really know what to do about the back screw behind the trigger due the stock being having a inlet for the DBM kit so I can't complain about product. Maybe I should just throw this pos rifle in the trash and get something that has parts that will fit right...

Re: Savage 10fp problems with part....

There is nothing in your thread that would indicate the rifle or any of the parts are a POS. You are dealing with several different manufacturers and their own individual aspects of quality control. Due to the fact that there are so many different variables to deal with, this is the reason for gunsmiths.

It just sounds to me that you are a bit frustrated. I see that you really have 2 options. There needs to be some (either by you or a professional) gunsmithing done. Or, you can just sell it all and start over with a different rifle.

Me personally, I would do the gunsmithing...

DK

i would bet that if get all the parts fitting correctly . you will be a very happy camper.all of my experience with savage fp,fcp has been top notch accuracy,however i have never messed with aftermarket parts for them.

The length of the screws depends on the stock and bottom metal.
If you mix parts, you need to tune screws lengths based on the components you chose.

It is very upsetting when you wait 4 months and spend hundreds upon hundreds of dollars and you try to put it together and have to take to a gunsmith and spend hundreds more. Right that's not an option this was a budget build taking to a smith is not really an option due to the economy. Who is going to buy a messed up bc stock with an inlet on the bottom, I'm going to take a loss on everything even though it brand new your never ever going to get your money back. This rifle is just a big headache.... On top of that it seems I am the only one having these fitment issues that I have been seeing, it just my luck.

You should have done your homework before buying these components.
Especially when you decided to assemble the rifle by yourself.
Who did mess up your stock?
For you you're saying, you just need to have the screws to be tuned to proper length.

For you infomation I did my homework on the parts having the savage poses disadvantages when finding a stock and not a lot of companies make then.the bell and carlson was the choice I went with due to it have great reviews from many different people and different forums. The screws that go into the reciver needs to be tuned not that big of a deal I'll be doing it with a file by hand. I am more upset with the quality of the stock. The screw behind the trigger against the butt is the problem it's supposed to screw into the stock and self tap itself like a wood screw or drywall screw. Well it self tapped itself in there but the material in the stock just fell apart like it was never mention for a screw like that. It almost seems like I was screwing it into foam. I can't get a warrenty on the stock due the inlet which was a good job. So I'm stuck on how to fix this stock issue.

to fix the rear screw hole drill it out a bit bigger get some propoxy mix it up and pack it into the hole make sure to get it into just the hole no overflow when it starts to set up after a couple min. put the trigger gaurd in place and hand tighen the back screw in and then back it out. let it dry and you have a threaded hole. I did this on an old BC stock and it worked fine I realy dont think that the rear screw on a savage does much more than hold the trigger gaurd on just torq the two action screws and you will be fine. as far as tuning screws welcome to savage land

You could drill the stock and epoxy a threaded sleeve, and use a new screw that goes in there.

The screw behind the trigger needs to be predrilled with a pilot hole to reduce the pressure and allow room for the displaced material of the self tapping screw.

Yes i did a pilot hole didn't work it was like fom fell apart. There is not enough there.

If you decide to do this (Maybe I should just throw this pos rifle in the trash and get something that has parts that will fit right...) Let me know and I will put my trash can in front of your house and pick it up before the garbage truck gets there.

Let me guess you installed the rear trigger guards screw with a drill. This should have been hand tightened, but as said, drill out the hole fill it with epoxy and start over.

If you would like some help, I will be glad to offer up some of my gunsmithing services to you. I have been working on rifles for over 20+ years, and I am a HUGE Savage fan. As I said, there is nothing that you stated in your thread that would lead me to believe there was anything to really worry about with your rifle.

If you are seriously dead set on getting rid of it, I will even buy the rifle from you. Shoot me a PM and we can go over the details there.

DK

OK, you have a chance to have the problem corrected... why the silence?? The problem not as bad as first seemed or what??

DK