• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FP Rechamber or rebarrel? Help!

sierracharlie338

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 12, 2013
    Republic of Texas (Houston)
    So I currently have a 10FP (2007) chambered in 308 that I recently discovered has a short throat (scratching bullets seated to SAMMI specs).

Option 1 - send to savage and have them fix the issue.

Option 2 - rebarrel myself and turn rifle into a .260 Rem (this is my choice for a short action, not interested in suggestions otherwise due to the fact it took me so long to decide on it HAHA).

History on rifle: currently shoots very well for a stock rifle - under MOA - with 150gr interlock Hornady Custom factory loads. Current round count is less than 200. This is the only load ever shot through this rifle and wanting to load some other stuff but everything hits or goes into the lands unless seated very deep in case.

Curious what y'all's thoughts would be? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
    I bought a brand new savage short action and almost immediately put a aftermarket barrel(260 rem)on it.
    Shoots great and cleans up easy and less often.
    I'd send the factory barrel back and have them work it over though.

Get a gunsmith to run a standard reamer through it, and use one with a longer throat. He can do that without changing the headspace. You'll need to repeat your break-in after that. What big city is the closest to you?

The longer throat deal for sure would be the cheapest but changing a barrel on a Savage yourself is very easy.

Regards. Keith

Want to shoot heavier bullets but can't.

You haven't responded to the question.

Also, it's not clear that "heavier" bullets won't clear the lands. There is no guarantee they'll share the ogive shape of the bullets you're shooting.

If you haven't tested with the bullets you want to use, you don't know if they'll fit in the chamber or not.

Savage 10FP Rechamber or rebarrel? Help!

You haven't responded to the question.

Also, it's not clear that "heavier" bullets won't clear the lands. There is no guarantee they'll share the ogive shape of the bullets you're shooting.

If you haven't tested with the bullets you want to use, you don't know if they'll fit in the chamber or not.

Fair enough. I have tested the bullets and they do not seat at book list OAL without being jammed into the lands.

The heavier bullets have a different ogive and while they can be seated longer that the factory loads that barely touch the lands, they still will not seat to book listed specs without being able to not close the bolt.

And to respond to the question let me elaborate.

I want to shoot heavier bullets instead of the factory loads therefore I feel it's a waste to buy and shoot these factory loads just for the shit of it when I have two other 308s that need to be feed as well as a custom build that is about to be receiving a lot of attention.

Last edited:
    Rebarrel to 260 and sell the existing 308 tube on eBay, Gunbroker, 24hourcampfire, Long Range Hunting, or here to help subsidize the new barrel.

Easiest answer ever - take it to Pete Pieper in Hempstead. Precisionbarrelwork.com is his website, and he is at 1610 14th St in Hempstead. 979-826-2563. He'll fix it, and you'll be glad you let him.

Last edited:
    Its Obvious you want a .260 and already have enough .308's so set the barrel in safe for future use and get a pre fit barrel in .260. screw it on, headspace and enjoy...simple. Changing the barrel is easy and there are plenty of them out there on shelf for sale so you shouldn't have to wait long to get it. You won't regret it and you can change it back if you want to in just a few minutes :)

Its Obvious you want a .260 and already have enough .308's so set the barrel in safe for future use and get a pre fit barrel in .260. screw it on, headspace and enjoy...simple. Changing the barrel is easy and there are plenty of them out there on shelf for sale so you shouldn't have to wait long to get it. You won't regret it and you can change it back if you want to in just a few minutes :)

Am I that transparent [emoji15]?? Unless something profound happens in the near future that's what I will be doing.

I'm just curious, I have a 10fp in .223 are there .260 pre-fit barrels that I could install on mine? I'm sure the bolt head would have to be changed anything else need to be changed or, is it even possible to be done? This would be my first barrel change ever. Thanks!

Lots of options for pre fit. Got my last one(shilen in 260)from midway with a discount code.

Bolt head and mag would have to be swapped.

Last edited:
    I'm just curious, I have a 10fp in .223 are there .260 pre-fit barrels that I could install on mine? I'm sure the bolt head would have to be changed anything else need to be changed or, is it even possible to be done? This would be my first barrel change ever. Thanks!

Sure. Any small shank pre-fit will go right on. Change the bolt head, and mags to fit the class cartridge you're shooting. Apache, McGowan, Shilen, PacNor, lots of choices.

Should work fine, and yes you just need a different bolthead that you can get from PT&G in .308. You magazine will have to be changed also, but that is a relatively inexpensive deal also. I would suggest getting a go guage from PT&g also and you don't need the no go guage, I have seen guys use sized brass or cartridges but you can actually push the shoulder back while setting the headspace. Use the guage and you can't go wrong.

Actually the 260 uses same bolt head and mag as the 308.

***** UPDATE******

talked to Savage today and they quoted me a ballpark of up to 300 for the conversion (parts and labor included)

Worth going that route? I think so since a barrel from Shilen/Criterion run about 300-350 alone.

What say you?

I have a 6.5 at savage for the second time for the same thing.Do you really want to pay savage to do that work and worry about getting another short throated barrel?

Wow a second time? Something ain't right there!!
    No shit,its my son's gun so I bypassed CS and went straight to a manager on the second return.CS didn't even know what I was talking about referring to a short throat.Haven't got it back yet.

The guy I talked to was knowledgeable with basic gun I for like shooting heavier bullets with a faster twist. But he could give me any solid information til the gun was in their shop, then they would give me an exact quote