• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10fp vs Remington 700 police

Narwhal

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2010
Austin, TX
I realize this is a common question, and these are probably the two most common precision rifles on the market, but i figured I'd ask anyway. I've searched this and other forums looking for opinions, and it all seems to be split about 50/50.

Anyway,

I currently have an M1A and have gotten into reloading, but am looking for something that can show the true potential of my reloads a little better than that rifle. My M1A has the 18" barrel with 1 in 11" twist, which I'd say makes it good out to 600 yards or so considering it's about 2 MOA accurate. I'd like the bolt gun I get to cover my bases out to 1000 yards should I ever have the opportunity to shoot at that distance, and be capable of giving me good groups (at least 1 moa) from the bench.

So the obvious answers are the 10fp and the 700p. I'm not really looking to do a bunch of aftermarket modifications, I'd like an accurate rifle out of the box. Rest Assured that I'm also going to spend $700-800 on optics. My gut says go with the Savage, but the 700 seems to have a certain cache and universal quality which makes it hard to resist.

10fp pros:

More Affordable
Maybe more accurate out of the box
Probably better trigger
Shorter barrel is slightly handier and might have better harmonics.

700p pros:

Better stock
Longer barrel (ever so slightly more velocity at 26" vs 24" on the 10fp)
Smoother 700 action
Universally known and serviceable

Any opinions are appreciated. BTW, it will be in .308/7.62x51 if that wasn't obvious.

Re: Savage 10fp vs Remington 700 police

Quite frankly, that butt ugly barrel nut on the Savage rifles keeps me away......

Na, they are both fine rifles. One of the reasons folks will choose a Remington over a Savage is the desire to modify them, they are called the "chevy 350 of rifles". Out of the box, they are both capable of .5 MOA or under with great handloads. Remington has been known for their long throats, which isnt kind to some factory loads, not a issue for you although you may run out of mag length right when you find a sweet spot for seating depth.

I say you cant go wrong either way. Remember, the Savage will be cheaper initially, but Remington holds its value for resale, if you plan on keeping it and not modifying it too heavily, I'd say go with the Savage.

Kirk R

Savage.

.308 you say? what if you want to get a 243 for hunting...just buy a barrel and throw it on
smile.gif
cant just do that with a Remington.

Oh, what about a .260 for some nice LR shooting?...easy..throw a barrel on.

you can get savages in both McMillan A5 and HS Precision stocks from the factory. you can get factory DBM too. sharp shooter supply has 9 round mags for the savage. if you want a 10 mag you need different bottom metal and in that case find a savage that doesnt have the factory bottom metal its cheaper, but then its harder to get one in the nicer stocks then. there was a HS stocked 10fcp that sold for $700 just a bit ago. i think there is an unfired 10fcp in the for sale section now. and you thought you were confused before

Barrel length on a 308 is a non-issue. 20" is more than ample and many feel that it is about perfect for accuracy of the round, possibly due to harmonics.
The Savage trigger is nothing to write home about, IMO. It is a safer design, but does have a bit of creep, at least the ones that I have shot. Maybe the target trigger that the FP uses is better.
To me the Savage with its stock McMillian or HS stock is every bit as good as the Remington and the ease of upgrading without the need for a gunsmith is also a decided plus for barrel changes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRock459</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quite frankly, that butt ugly barrel nut on the Savage rifles keeps me away......

Kirk R </div></div>

That butt ugly barrel nut allows you to swap barrels yourself, which is a nice connivence...

savage.

seems slowly but surely they have been gaining the respect they deserve. Rewind this tread to 2 years ago and remingotn is all you would hear. "Dont go Salvage." It seems due to the company doing their market research and supplying the industry with qualities of a rifle that guys are upgrading to, has pushed them to the forefront. Sure their actions still feel the same, but they are accurate as heck out of the box and now offer everything else as well.

I went with the Remington 700P when I was making this decision last week. Came with an H&S Precision stock. $850 for rifle itself. I went the Remington route because of aftermarket availability.

I have shot a Savage LE rifle in .308 that would easily do .6 MOA. I have shot 4 Remington 700P .308 rifles, and, while the best of them would do .5 MOA, the other three were .75 and above, so while you can't go wrong with either one, if you don't plan to resell the rifle or modify it more than slightly, I would go with the Savage.

If you don't mind spending even more money, you might look at the HS Precision HTR. Most of them are extremely accurate, shooting significantly better than their advertised .5 MOA.

Well, it actually sounds like the Savage is the way to go based on the above comments.

What are the advantages of the fiberglass McMillan and HS Precision stocks over the regular Synthetic stock that comes on the standard 10FP? Is there a consequential accuracy increase by putting the rifle in those more expensive stocks, or are ergonomics and cheek-weld the primary advantages?

The HS Precision HTR does look nice as well, a bit out of my price range though.

if it is not an accustock it has a lack of support in the forend. if you plan on shooting off a bipod and loading the bipod you will feel flex and the stock/ barrel may make contact different changing poi. look at the b&c tactical stock as well.

Ahh, ok. I didn't realize the basic 10fp did not come with an accustock. Definitely food for thought.

i think that if you want an accustock, you want a rifle with the -k on the model. generally the 10fp is non bottom mag, just blind internal, 10fcp is center feed with botton detach mag. then the nicer stocks are added by the -HS and -not sure what McM's designation is. but if you pay for an accustock keep it in the accustock. if you want to restock it get the factory tupperware. or get one of the HS or McM stocks from the factory if you want. there are a few guys that just bought new rifles in choate tacticals new in the box too. first thing is to decide what stock you want. if its HS or McM your in luck. it gets a little tricky unless you have an idea where you want to go. then you can decide where to start. i didnt wantto mess with shopping for stocks, so i got the HS

Check out the Savage 10fcp-k model it has a 24"barrel,detach mag,accustock,accutriger, and threaded muzzle brake. I bought mine for 675 delivered to my ffl plus 25 for his cut. I don't think you'll find a better gun for that price.

If you go with the 10fp you definitely won't like the cheap stock. I really like my 10fp, but the stock is junk and finding a b&c medalist, hs, or stockade stock on the shelf is impossible. But on the other hand the stock on my rem 700ss ain't a whole lot better. The accutrigger is safe but not as nice as a rem 700 trigger (IMO). So there is another $97.00 for a SSS comp trigger.

Its a toss up,savages are great out of the box and affordable,but it seems if you want to go custom everybody uses remingtons.I think I would have to vote savage

I get the impression that the savage accustock stacks up well against the HS-precision and McMillan stocks. However, I'm not too wild about the muzzle brake and fluted barrels on the savage 10fcp-k model. For those reasons, I've been looking at the 11 FCNS hunter series. Obviously it doesn't have the heavy profile barrel of the LE models and is blued instead of parked but it does have the accustock and accutrigger for about $650. I'm tempted to start looking for one of those.

Love my new FCP-K. My Rem 700 was caught in a flood and rusted while out conus.

Im a bit partial so my bias is evident. i own a 700P (pss) and i really, really love it. it's my first long rifle, and i do not regret for a second my choice. she shoots awesome right out of the box, the trigger hasnt even been adjusted and seems to break right at 2 3/4lbs every time. so far this rifle has been a real winner. i love it.

i know that the other rifle you are looking at is also a very, very nice rifle, so i honestly think you should see each rifle up close and in person, and go with the one that fits you best, and you like best. if you do that, i really don't see how you can go wrong. i think either way you go, you'll end up with a rifle you like a whole lot, and a great platform to build off of in the future should you choose to upgrade or make changes.

Paulus

I really like my 10FCP in the McMillan stock. I have 3 savages and like them all very much. They seem to listen to the consumer, I like to do business with companies like this.

I'm in the same boat as the OP ... want a dedicated long range rifle to supplement what is essentially a scout rifle in .308, and I've looked closely at 700Ps, SPS=Vs, and the LTR and VTR and at three different Savage 10 models. I'll have to echo a couple of posts about Remington quality of late. After buying Remington for years I got burned pretty badly by Remington QA/QC and their recent lack of service after the sale. So it's hard for me to look seriously at a 700P or VTR tactical. I like to think the LE/Tactical series rifles are going to be better quality out the door than their hunting rifles and shotguns. But one never knows. So I've come down to a 10FP, 10FCP McMillan, a 111 Long Range Hunter in 300WSM or 7RM, and a Win Model 70 Coyote in 7RM or 300WSM. I want to trust Remington again, but I can't do it. YMMV though.

A 10FP McMillan is a great way to start. You can send the stock back to McMillan and they can add the Adj cheek piece and Adj LOP recoil pad if you like. Than bed it, crown it and you should be ready to go.

Didn't I see a post that the AICS might be inletting for Savages as well?

Good luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision

Here is my two

IMG_4050.jpg

This chuck was shot (Factory .308 10fp) at 945 yards
uvs090211-002.jpg

grin.gif
I just read ur post and i am very pleased with my savage build im parcel to wood so i went with a richards microfit this savage i have is shooting one ragged hole at 125 meters in 338-06 AI plus i have 8 other cals of the same stock and action no smith needed !!! Ive had remmingtons rugers sakos and a host of others but a all around gun thats a shooter out of the box its a savage plus there as good if not better than some of the so called custom jobs u see ur pick!!! enjoy and go shoot !!!!!!
1266199554.jpg
image001a.jpg

I've been following this thread....been thinking about picking up a Savage.

Is the trigger easy to swap out in the Savage??

How do the FN rifles (heavy barreled versions) stack up against the ones being discussed in this thread as far as accuracy, quality, resale, etc.

So far I am finding these prices:

Savage 10FP Bolt 308 Win 24" Matte McMillan Stock Right Hand Heavy Barrel 3Rd AccuTrigger

Details

SKU: SV18142
Quantity: 4 item(s) available - ships in 3-5 business days
Weight: 20.00 lbs
Price: $ 1,002.

Remington 700 Special Purpose Synthetic Bolt 308 Win 20" Matte Black Synthetic Right Hand Heavy Barrel 4Rd

Details

SKU: REM84207
Quantity: 1 item(s) available - ships in 3-5 business days
Weight: 15.00 lbs
Price: $ 544.34

HS Precision HTR 308 Tactical Rifle ProSeries 2000 $2000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the trigger easy to swap out in the Savage??</div></div>

Yes. There are a few very nice offerings to cover. I personally love the Accutrigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do the FN rifles stack up against the ones being discussed in this thread as far as accuracy, quality, resale, etc.</div></div>

I have owned Remington, FN, Howa, Savage, Winchester, Marlin... Savage all the away on the accuracy. I had less money in my entire Savage rig as I did in just my FN-SPR rifle alone. Resale is a tough market, and Remington does well. However, when I sold my 10FPLE, it netted me a very nice profit.

DK

$28-$34 call savage for about the best price. also there are 9 round aftermarket mags available.

accutrigger is fine at 1.5 lbs. but if you want lighter, i believe you can change springs to the "target" accutrigger for a 6oz pull

if i had a free cupon for a rifle, id still get a savage over the remmy. if i had to choose one and pay for it myself, id still go savage.

The standard detachables can be had for around $25 when you can find them. Sharp Shooter Supply has the 9 round detachables for $79 (sorry... $74.95), but it is tough to get them on the phone. Good luck finding one for sale that is used... most absolutely love them!!

You can place an order by fax, or mail though.

DK

My 700's that have had their actions trued and top of the line aftermarket barrels installed shoot pretty much as good as my stock Savages did.

I went R700 because the aftermarket support was much better. If I were doing it over, the choice wouldn't be as clear.

Narwhal, another opinion I put on another forum yesterday if it helps;

Last November I was afforded the opportunity to shoot several of the new Savages. 10's with McMillan, HPS and AccuStock and also the BAS and BAT models. These were all new, right out of the boxes. Up to that time all my experience had been with issued Remington's and Parker Hale's. What a shock I had! The Savages were outstanding, at 100, 300 and 600 meters the AccuStock models were all shooting around 1/2 moa and less and that was with 18 individuals firing. The 10 FCP-K easily out performed the McMillan and HPS. If someone really wanted to change from an AccuStock model AI is just releasing their new stock for the new Savages and Fred Choate is about to release his Tactical stock for them. I received a 10 FLCP-K and couldn't be more happy with it.
http://www.savagearms.com/accuracy/accustock/
does a good job of explaining the AccuStock.

I have and shoot both. My out of the box Savage just plain shoots lights out but for some reason my eye just likes the lines on a Rem. better. I know, I know. Looks aren't everything. I must be shallow!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the accutrigger, my standard model 12 adjusted down to 2 lbs. An LE type (10 FP or PC) will go down to about 1.5 lbs, crisp with nary a bit of overtravel. MUCH superior to the new X-Mark (I have both).

The 10PC is their version of a LTR, very nice, compact rifle with good trigger and they shoot very well indeed. The DBM is a nice add, but it only holds 4 rounds. The stock is very decent, but does require a cheek piece even with low rings.

My Model 12 is easily a 1/2 minute gun (.243), as is the 10PC.
My SPS tactical is a 1/2 minute gun, or better with loads it likes, less than stellar with loads it doesn't (.223).