• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 10fp vs Savage 10fp

wolfenstien

Private
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
Limington, Maine, USA
I can't find anything to say they are different, but I was wondering if anyone knew for sure whether the Savage 10FP with Choate stock from Cabela's for $700 is different in any way then the one from say the local gun shop for closer to $850?

I know that some manufacturers make discounted lines for particular retailers is this what is happening here, or is Cabelas just running the best price on this rifle? Thought it might make a good first LR rifle. Let me know what you think guys. Thanks again.

Re: Savage 10fp vs Savage 10fp

As long as the stocks are the same and the barrels are identical (aka bull / varmet / sporter) in this case both should be bull. Then they are the same. Alot of local shops will try to take you to the cleaners.

Good Luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

I second what the above poster said. Really look over the stock as that is usually where they differ.

A particular Savage model # will be the same regardless of who sells it. Cabelas sale prices are often good buys.

Sounds pricey to me, I didn't realize Savage was priced that high these days...and I am not a big fan of the Choate stock, however...you might look around for some opinions on that aspect, some folks seem to like them.

TC

which choate? tactical a-5 copy? varmint i dont really like, but the tac looks nice. el gordo bought one. look him up in the members list and see what he gave for his. thats priced about right based on a base fp being about $570 and the choate going for $200ish. snag one

cabela's hope is that the rifle will get you in the door and then they will bend you over for a scope, case, sling, ammo, scope covers, nut sack warmer and whatever else they can load you up on. plus they usually only have a few in stock. jump on it

It is the Choate tactical. From the reviews, it seems that it is a lot better than the stock "stock". Save a little in a combo. Everyone else is a bit more so far as I have seen.

Oh, another question. I don't think that this stock has an adjustable cheek piece. What is the recommendation on how my cheek ought to rest and how I ought to get it there? Use pad and raise that section of the stock? I have a 22 setup that is a tack driver, but my scope is way above the stock and my new gets tired after 30 min.

From what i've heard, your cheek ought to rest comfortably enough to take a nap haha. basically you do not want your neck muscles to have to work at all to keep your head up in line with the scope. this will cause you to shoot poorly after awhile when your neck is fatigued and will also make your neck hurt. as a general rule, the more relaxed you are the better you shoot.

as far as ways to increase cheek weld, there are many. the method you described of using pad will work. its really however you want to do it. i used an Eagle cheek pad with an old wash cloth folded up under it. that might not look as good with your Choate stock though, maybe adding some pad is the way to go for you. best of luck,

- Wrighty

Go to wally world, around the paint or hardware section, buy a set of cheap foam knee pads (about 5 bucks) and gorilla tape one to your stock.
I have an sps tactical that i put the new choate tactical stock on, it is an excellent stock. I used an eagle stock pack, but due to the design of the stock, it required quite a bit of screwing with. The knee pad and tape works very well (an old mouse pad works too).
You can also buy the cheek piece for the ultimate varmint stock and use that (it fits perfectly). Most likely the low will suffice.

Correct the first thing for Marine Corps Marksmanship they teach you is bone support, muscle relaxation, steady point of aim. But we get to cheat and use rests, bean bags, and bipods. But yes your cheek weld will also assist in muscle relaxation in your neck which will assist your shooting.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wrighty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From what i've heard, your cheek ought to rest comfortably enough to take a nap haha.

- Wrighty

</div></div>

That exactly what I was thinking when I was shooting. Oh man would be nice if I could get comfortable so I could almost lazily look down the tube and not worry if I take 5 min to actually squeeze off a shot. 5 min of looking down the sight and am ready to put the gun down for a bit.

Anyone use an eye patch to decrease fatigue on your eyes. Aka keep both eyes open, but get the focus of a single eye?

dont tape anything to your stock until you consider a Karsten or a stock oack from triad. its an easy way to go, but not the best looking or best choice when you can just buy a good adjustable karsten.

http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

and if you feel your face, you have a cheek bone. i rest the stock under that. it helps me find the same spot again and again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dont tape anything to your stock until you consider a Karsten or a stock oack from triad. its an easy way to go, but not the best looking or best choice when you can just buy a good adjustable karsten.

http://www.imageseek.com/karsten/gallery/forsale

and if you feel your face, you have a cheek bone. i rest the stock under that. it helps me find the same spot again and again </div></div>

Bingo. That looks like just the ticket. I actually have since seen a tac choate with an adjustable cheek piece, not sure if it is the one I am looking at though. Could be. I hope so. I am running into town to pick up some supplies, so I will stop at the local Cabelas and see if they have it in stock. Hopefully I can fondle it for a bit.

Went and held one yesterday morning. It was nice. Really like the accu-trigger. Stock was nice barrel was really nice. Might be little bit before I get it, but then again that means it can go on sale.

So were is a good place to buy decent ammo? I was thinking 500 rounds of black hills .308 175 grain match. Ought to be enough for a newbie to shoot and get set up for a reload.

The stock was not adjustable, it did have two whatchmacallit knobs like you would attach a bipod on the sides of the shoulder of the stock. I am assuming that this if for an adjustable attachment.

they had that stock in catalogs for a while and then it changed and the side sling swivel studs were deleted. the cabelas in KC had them on special, but when i called to hold one til i drove there, i was introduced to the term limited availability. its a mcmillan A5 isnt it? possibly a new choate a5 copy also. good deal, you should buy it. try midway, ammoman, ammodepot. you could find 500 rounds of match ammo here in the for sale area. there could be some there now. really, go back a few dozen pages, youll find a few cases

It is the Choate a5 copy. I like it and will own one here pretty quick. Was kicking myself. 7 days ago there was one that went up for sale for $450 used with 60 downrange. It was gone in a day and I missed it.

New question. I have a savage 111. So it is the long action. Why is the short action so much better? I know it is stiffer, but should I just buy a good barrel for my long action or am I going to be wishing I just bought a model 10 with what I want on it?

One more. After I get my model 10 where can I buy a barrel in .223 or if I get it in .223 where can buy the .308 barrel so I have both?

Thanks guys

If you are thinking of getting that rifle you better do it quick. I bought one at Cabela's tonight. The guy at Cabela's said they are being discontinued. The one I got was the last one in the Ft.Worth Cabela's.

Jim

jim at northland, look on the savage shooters forum. new, take offs and match barrels shillen and mcgowan

The Savage OEM stock is pure garbage. Soft at the forearm where it has to be rock solid; mine would bend from the stress of the barrel's weight when bipoded on a bench. No way to get a free-float with the OEM. Choate's a step up, but that's not saying much. Choate's the minimum ya wanna start with for a stock you'd keep. I'd hammer Gunbroker for a bull-barreled 10FP with the bare minimums and spend what you save on a McMillan or a stock from the aftermarket Savage site. Can't remember the name... somebody he'p me out here?

Should be the same. The way large retail stores price them is due to high volume sales so they get them for cheaper from the factory. Therefore they can charge less per gun and make the same profit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Breathe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went and held one yesterday morning. It was nice. Really like the accu-trigger. Stock was nice barrel was really nice. Might be little bit before I get it, but then again that means it can go on sale.

So were is a good place to buy decent ammo? I was thinking 500 rounds of black hills .308 175 grain match. Ought to be enough for a newbie to shoot and get set up for a reload.

The stock was not adjustable, it did have two whatchmacallit knobs like you would attach a bipod on the sides of the shoulder of the stock. I am assuming that this if for an adjustable attachment. </div></div>

look in the for sale area for some cases of match ammo. plenty there if you cant find it local or cheaper elsewhere. the side studs are so the rifle lays on its side against your back and the bipod wont dig in that way. and if you can layaway that rifle, it may be a good idea. also apply for a cabela's credit card, you may qualify.