• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10FPSR + Shilen 6.5CM bbl + AICS = nice!

vmpglenn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2004
Fitchburg, WI
We finally got a break in the weather up here in WI so I decided to sneak out and zero my new rifle.

I started with a stock Savage 10FP-SR. To this, I added a Shilen 24" 1:8 twist stainless 6.5 Creedmoor barrel from Jim at NSS. I had the barrel Gunkoted flat black. Then I dropped the barreled action into one of the new AICS 2.0 for Savage short actions and mounted a Warne Tactical 20MOA scope base. I topped the rifle with an IOR 4-16x50 FFP with the illuminated MRAD X1 reticle/10mil per turn elevation turret. The rings are from TPS at 1.225" height.

To mount the Atlas V8 bipod, I added one of Accu-Shot's AFAR rail kits that slides into the AICS handstop groove. It works perfectly and is very light and unobtrusive.

I have shot so many rifles with two stage triggers that the AccuTrigger felt fine right away. I had no problem with feeding from my Accurate Mag AICS 10 rounders, and no extraction/ejection issues. Bolt lift was also fine.

More importantly, in the short time I spent at the range the rifle seemed to be a consistent 3/4 MOA (at 100 yds) shooter. It may be better than that, but I did not shoot specifically for groups.

The rifle weighs just a tad under 14lbs with the scope and an empty mag.

I like this setup. It is easy to shoot and not nearly as heavy as some of the long range rifles I've owned in the past. And honestly, it is very nice to be able to swap barrels at home with a couple of hand tools and headspace gauges.

I don't know much about how Savages stand up over time, but I plan to find out!

10fpsr_65cm_grass.jpg

10fpsr_65cm_grass2.jpg

Re: Savage 10FPSR + Shilen 6.5CM bbl + AICS = nice!

great looking rifle ... please let us know how it shoots.

Have you done anything with the action to smooth it out and ease bolt lift? Lots of diy stuff that will vastly improve how smooth it cycles. Hope its a shooter for you!

I have an identical setup, except mine has a 5-20 ss and sss trigger. Excellent setup, just the other day shot a fairly quick 5 shot group at 100 with it, prone off a bipod and rear bag, group was .348" inside of 10 seconds. Did u custom order ur barrel at 24", mine is 26"? The only negative i have on my barrel is that for varmint contour it is lighter then expected, about .800" @ muzzle and the crown is more akin to lever action/hunting rifle. Is urs like that also ? Nice rifle by the way.

Nice Setup! But I cant help but notice how high the scope is sitting off of the barrel. I would get some lower rings for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bodywerks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you done anything with the action to smooth it out and ease bolt lift? Lots of diy stuff that will vastly improve how smooth it cycles. Hope its a shooter for you! </div></div>

I've been reading about many of the bolt mods that are common for easing bolt lift on Savages, but I think I'll just shoot the rifle as-is for now. I may try one or more mods later -- I have been known to tinker with things now and then.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6brshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an identical setup, except mine has a 5-20 ss and sss trigger. Excellent setup, just the other day shot a fairly quick 5 shot group at 100 with it, prone off a bipod and rear bag, group was .348" inside of 10 seconds. Did u custom order ur barrel at 24", mine is 26"? The only negative i have on my barrel is that for varmint contour it is lighter then expected, about .800" @ muzzle and the crown is more akin to lever action/hunting rifle. Is urs like that also ? Nice rifle by the way. </div></div>

I bought the barrel as an in-stock item from NSS. It is a lighter profile than I normally use, tapering to about 0.720" at the muzzle, but I like how light it is. The crown is a nice recessed target crown. I guess I'll just shoot it and see what happens!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rmitch223</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice Setup! But I cant help but notice how high the scope is sitting off of the barrel. I would get some lower rings for sure. </div></div>

I've played with scope height across three AICS setups now and the 1.225" rings you see fit my face perfectly. The straight comb and cheek riser on the AICS dictate ring height, so the scope does end up much higher than if I were using a drop comb stock.

That lighter contour makes sense now with the total wt of less then 14 lbs. Mine is 15 and a couple onces

Have a build very much like this in the works. If I bought a Shilen barrel and the best it would shoot was 3/4", I would not be very happy about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRJammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have a build very much like this in the works. If I bought a Shilen barrel and the best it would shoot was 3/4", I would not be very happy about it. </div></div>

I honestly think it can do better; I was not shooting for groups in the brief time I had at the range, yet was still able to put a few shots within 3/4" of each other.

That having been said, most of my shooting is not geared around making bugholes... Next stop is the dot drill, then onto the 900 yard silhouette range!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SavageMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking at the shilen .260 barrel for my remington. Is it the same as this
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/763249/...stainless-steel

Is it going to have the same .72 muzzle? </div></div>

I don't think so; my barrel was one of a batch Jim at NSS ordered from Shilen for that specific length and profile because he wanted to offer a lighter barrel for hunting, etc. I don't believe it is a standard Shilen profile.

The barrels from midway are shilen match, NSS carries shilen select match. The select match barrels are held to a tighter, more uniform bore and lapped smoother. My understanding is that the are buttoned and lapped once, then air gaged. If the air gaging is real uniform they are then lapped again and become select match. The others that aren't as uniform are just match. Might also look at the criterion pre fits from NSS, i have two and they are fast and accurate. I just got a 6 br 1-8 26" and it is sending 105 hybrids at 2915 into the .2s.

Man, this is a beautiful rifle and almost the EXACT same setup I am currently building (except mine will be 308). I picked up a Savage 10 FCP-SR over Christmas and I've started putting rounds down the tube. I'm hoping to pick up the AICS 2.0 and Atlas Bipod here soon (currently running a Harris S-BRM). My only complaint so far is that the factory Savage DBM is so sloppy, it's laughable.

I'm sure your groups will tighten up. I was able to shoot several .5moa 100 yard groups last weekend with hand loaded 175 SMKs over IMR 4064 and Lapua brass. And I'm still a novice shooter, so I'm sure the groups could be tighter. The gun is definitely far more accurate than I am.

That is a beautiful rifle, the rugged look of the AICS stock seems to match the Savage action. Update us on how that thing shoots.