• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 10t-sr false advertising?

travisurkul

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2017
I was looking at getting a Savage 10t-sr in .308 from Cabela's, and one of the things I liked about it was that it had 5r rifling. On YouTube I came across a video of a guy showing that his savage 10t-sr actually had 6 lands instead of 5. He also commented on another video of a guy showing his 10t-sr and that guy also said his had 6 lands. I talked to a guy who confirmed his was actually 5r, but his is 6.5cm. If certain calibers are 5r and some not that may affect my choice of calibers even though I know it probably won't make a huge difference. Anyone have any experience with this gun that can comment on this?

Link to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqsWGgV1q9E

On the bright side, land profile means absolutely nothing. Buy the cartridge you want, not the one that comes in 5r.

5R rifling huh? How did we ever get accurate rifles without it?

I know it probably matters very little, but I'm pretty torn between 6.5cm and .308 and that could be an, albeit small, factor. Also it's a little disconcerting if they are lying about the specs on the rifle.

I know it probably matters very little
It matters not AT ALL

I'm pretty torn between 6.5cm and .308 and that could be an, albeit small, factor.
It's a factor if you want to be one of those insufferable guys who yap about their rifle's "specs". If you just want to let the shooting do the talking, then it isn't a factor.

Also it's a little disconcerting if they are lying about the specs on the rifle.
That has yet to be established

It matters not AT ALL
Probably not nearly as much as how well the barrel was actually made, but from what I've heard theoretically it's better because it seals better and has longer barrel life.

​​​​​​
It's a factor if you want to be one of those insufferable guys who yap about their rifle's "specs".
Gotta win the pissing contest

Probably not nearly as much as how well the barrel was actually made, but from what I've heard theoretically it's better because it seals better and has longer barrel life.

What youve heard theoretically, is wrong, which is why nobody is supporting your concern. I cant tell you how many times this conversation has played out here on the hide. You’ve been swayed by the propaganda, and now youre having trouble with the truth. Using land profile as a decider between two significantly diffrent cartridges is ridiculous, there’s no other way to put it. The 6.5 smokes the .308 in drop and drift, and the .308 will last longer, and none of that is determined by land profile.

Who gives a shit if the 5r is worth it? The question is does it have it and is it advertised to? If Savage says it has 5r and its conventional then thats false advertising and would be all the reason i need not to buy it. You pay for features, even if they are worthless.

Who gives a shit if the 5r is worth it? The question is does it have it and is it advertised to? If Savage says it has 5r and its conventional then thats false advertising and would be all the reason i need not to buy it. You pay for features, even if they are worthless.

Clearly we’re more concerned with the practical aspect of his concern.

Are you really that offended by savage, if some have standard barrels? Hell, id feel fortunate to have the 6 groove. You keep standing up for your principles. By golly you payed for their marketing hype, and you want every penny of it! Lol

So have you checked for yourself? It's on the internet, it must be true. :)

Thanks, this was really more or less my actual concern.

I totally reject the 5r hype. Owned many, they shoot great, and I still fail to see any benefit. Ive shot and/or chambered barrels with 3 to 8 grooves, in several different profiles, and a barrels quality/uniformity is whats important.

Funny little tidbit. When I order barrels from either
of the top two cut rifled makers, I always chuckle a bit when they recommend their standard 4 groove barrel over the 5r, or any other land profile. One of these days i’ll pony up for a custom hook cutter and have them make me something totally wacky. Wonder if theyd do an 8 groove with alternating land profiles?

Last edited:
but from what I've heard theoretically it's better because it seals better and has longer barrel life.
Barrels die due to throat erosion from flame cutting. Don't believe me? Ask any competent barrel maker. Rifling type has fuck all to do with it.

As for the "seals better" bullshit, you better ask for data validating that claim.

You keep standing up for your principles. By golly you payed for their marketing hype, and you want every penny of it! Lol

Well put, Supersubes. Apparently, this guy really wants 5R rifling.

I wouldn't buy the rifle because it's a Savage, not because it has anything to do with 5R rifling. I'd recommend Travis just buy a Tikka instead, and let Savage wallow in the misery of losing a sale because they've so deeply offended his sense of justice in regard to rifling profiles.

Well, I just searched around to find this rifle to see what all the agita is all about, and it is a Cabala's exclusive rifle made for them to their specs and advertised by them only. You will not find it on Savage's site. So, if anyone is "guilty" of false advertising, it would be Cabela's and not Savage.

But, as already discussed ad-nauseam, it is more marketing hype than anything. More than one very well known barrel maker here has said as much. And these are the guys making them.

This^

Savage didn't say it was 5R rifling, Cabelas did. I find it quite humorous how ethically and morally straight you all make out to be over such an inconsequential thing.

"Well, I don't care if this thing is crap, They said it had it and by gum I want it or else somebody is going to get morally indignant and throw a fit on the internet. 'Cause that's how things are done!"

Just kidding with you guys, but I do find it funny. Thanks for the laugh. :cool::cool:;):cool::cool:

Oh, and so far nobody has even shown that the rifles being supplied as 10t-SR actually do NOT have 5R rifling. Lol!