• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 best barrel replacement shop/website

savageeaglenavy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2012
I have a 110 long action 30-06 and instead of trying to get all fancy I just want to replace the barrel and stock to get the best I can with what I have. My thoughts are to keep it simple. Ideas are welcome of a different approach. I just wanted to see if anyone has experience with a place that I can get a replacement barrel that will maximize what I have in 30-06. I know that there are different calibers (suggestions) but to keep price down I thought I should stick with the -06. As for the stock I well am stuck on that one. I know I get what I pay for so suggestions please. Are there any suggestions for a stock with mag for the long action that you have had good experience with? I have gone down this road before but the gunsmith wanted to use a 280AI and it got to be so much that I should just buy a GAP and be done but I done have the 2500 he wanted. So that's why I want to keep it simple so maybe I should keep the stock I have but that is where I need your experience to determine the best path forward as I know that this hobby is not cheap but it is one we all love and our wives for the most part hate.

Savage rifles are great because you can easily replace the barrel yourself. Just need a:
1) Prefit Barrel
2) Barrel Nut Wrench
3) Action wrench or Barrel vise
4) Appropriate Go/NoGo gauges

You can get quality prefit barrels from:
1) CBI (Jim at NSS)
2) McGowen
3) Shilen
4) and some others

These barrels run +/- $300.

Stocks are more dependent upon your particular action, whether it is a staggerfeed or centerfeed. Not sure about long-action stocks with dbms. Best source for Savage rifle info is over at savageshooters.com.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Just my experience here, but my last two Savage rifles (older 110, and a 12) I had Savage put factory barrels on, both heavy barrels. It cost me $189 each plus cost of shipping. I also put on Choate US and Varmiter stocks on. They were about $150 each. I don't have the money that others here do, so I have to go with what I can afford, and this was it. The 110 is a 30-06 that now has over 2K rounds through the replacement barrel and still shoots as good as when I first got it back. Just contact Savage and they'll give you an order # to include with your barreled action when you send it in.

For just a bit more, the Criterion (CBI) barrels from NSS are miles ahead of the Savage factory barrels. There aren't as many good low price stocks for Savages as there are for Remingtons, but look at Choate and B&C.

If you are dead set on turning your existing rifle into something, I'd start with Jim Briggs at Northland Shooter Supply:

Phone - 763/682-4296 - Best way to contact
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Northland Shooters Supply

I don't believe HS Precision makes a L/A inletted stock for Savage, but I know Manners does. I wouldn't waste my money on Savage factory barrels either. Spend the extra $100-$150 and get a Shilen, Criterion, ect.

Here's the thing about your current rifle situation, unless you absolutely want to shoot a L/A caliber why not look at a Savage 12 LRP in .260Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor? The S/A model 12's have stocks made by several manufacturers and have an outstanding DBM system. Just spend $120 on a 10 round magazine and an extended release from Dan at Dark Eagle customs and you are good to go. It's a pretty nice off the rack rig for the money ~$900. I have one and love it!

There may not be as many stocks to choose from as Remingtons but there should be plenty of really nice stocks in just about all the brand names I can think of to choose from.

I would agree with the others here about getting an aftermarket barrel for your Savage. I do however have a Savage in .223 improved in a McMillan A3 stock with a Final Finished factory barrel that shoots very tight. It works so I'm not going to fix it anytime soon.

There is a recent thread on Final Finish somewhere in the bolt actions rifles section.

I know you specifically requested info about a stock but XLR will make you a chassis that accepts AI mags. I think it weighs 4.5 lbs. and the new carbon chassis weighs a little bit less than that so depending on how heavy of a stock you're looking at maybe 1-2.5 lbs. heavier.

Last edited:
+eleventy for Jim Briggs.

GunShack and McGowenOutlet are other barrel sources.

Since you have a long action, your "budget" stock option begins and ends with Choate unless you come across a Duramaxx on the interwebs. The Choate tactical is not a bad stock, just heavy and kinda ugly IMO. Perhaps one day Bell & Carlson will pull their head out of their ass and make the M40 Medalist for long and short action Savages...but I ain't holding my breath.

For just a bit more, the Criterion (CBI) barrels from NSS are miles ahead of the Savage factory barrels. There aren't as many good low price stocks for Savages as there are for Remingtons, but look at Choate and B&C.

Not that I think you're wrong, but is there any proof of this? I only ask cuz of the fact that my factory barrel is shooting just as tight after 2K+ rounds as the day I got it, and am wondering how another barrel would be above that? Now, mind you I have a 12 BVSS with a McGowen barrel and love it, but to be honest other than looks, I don't notice a whole lot of difference performance wise.

I've only had problems with Savage stock barrels...In fact, my most recent small shank from them was s loose in the action, I could change the direction of the barrel entirely from one side to the other with a slight twist -- Talk about wobble.

More and more guys are replacing the Savage nuts with Northland nuts or, others because their barrels are doing the same thing.

If you own a Savage -- I 100% recommend going aftermarket IMMEDIATELY.

I have a McGowen in my gun now that's dead on -- By far one of the best barrels I've ever shot.

8747652032_98c67dbd66_b.jpg

Bought a 30" pre-fit bull from McGowen outlet -- Cut it down to 21 1/4 -- Never been happier.

Not that I think you're wrong, but is there any proof of this? I only ask cuz of the fact that my factory barrel is shooting just as tight after 2K+ rounds as the day I got it, and am wondering how another barrel would be above that? Now, mind you I have a 12 BVSS with a McGowen barrel and love it, but to be honest other than looks, I don't notice a whole lot of difference performance wise.

No proof, so you got me there. Just personal experience. I've found that factory barrels are hit and miss, and the Savage barrels I've shot tend to group between .75MOA and 1MOA with handloads (with an average of many 5 shot groups, not your best 3 shot group). Some are better, quite a few are worse. When you buy factory barrels, you just have to hope you got a good barrel. Match barrels are far more consistent in terms of performance. I would say most match barrels with good handloads are capable of .5MOA or better. I've also found match barrels to clean easier and require less cleaning before accuracy degrades. I will say, however, that many shooters are not consistent enough to recognize the difference between a .5MOA match barrel and a .75-1 MOA factory barrel.

If you're already running a factory barrel that shoots well, I don't see any reason to switch to a match barrel. If you are upgrading however, the extra 40% is well worth the price, if only for being able to know you'll have a great shooting barrel (unless you get a lemon, in which case, most match barrel companies will make it right).

No proof, so you got me there. Just personal experience. I've found that factory barrels are hit and miss, and the Savage barrels I've shot tend to group between .75MOA and 1MOA with handloads (with an average of many 5 shot groups, not your best 3 shot group). Some are better, quite a few are worse. When you buy factory barrels, you just have to hope you got a good barrel. Match barrels are far more consistent in terms of performance. I would say most match barrels with good handloads are capable of .5MOA or better. I've also found match barrels to clean easier and require less cleaning before accuracy degrades. I will say, however, that many shooters are not consistent enough to recognize the difference between a .5MOA match barrel and a .75-1 MOA factory barrel.

If you're already running a factory barrel that shoots well, I don't see any reason to switch to a match barrel. If you are upgrading however, the extra 40% is well worth the price, if only for being able to know you'll have a great shooting barrel (unless you get a lemon, in which case, most match barrel companies will make it right).

I appreciate the answer, thank you, and it makes complete sense.