• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 bolt design

Rob.308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2012
I hear a good bit about the Savage 110 bolt design. I have seen it in person and I just don't seem to get what all the hype is about. I am certainly not a gunsmith and was wondering if anyone can explain what the design advantage is.

Thanks,
Rob

Re: Savage 110 bolt design

most bolts IE: rem 700, Ruger, Winchester so on. Need to to have the bolt lugs lapped so the locking shoulder and the the bolt lugs are flush(lapped to achieve 100% Contact.
Savage bolt head floats cants left and right and a small amount up and down, so it seats flush against the locking shoulder when closed on a shell, no need for lapping.

Thank you for the explanation. Often others lack the ability to say something so clearly. Do you have a 110? How do you like it?

I enjoy exploring the benefits of each design. It does appear from what I read that the 110 design may have an advantage.

Thanks again,
Rob

for general use and long range its a fine rifle, only downside is high torque can snap the pin holdong the bolt head but if you need to torque it that hard there is a problem in the first place

I own 3 of them.
they shoot great