• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 elite precision

HMRamateur

Will work for powder
Minuteman
Feb 9, 2019

Anyone seen these? Curious about what a blueprinted, nitrided savage action would feel like. My hunting rifle is a savage 116, and it's an accurate workhorse, but holy shit is the bolt lift and close stiff as hell. That's a big reason why I want to upgrade to something higher quality. Just another savage 110 stealth with a different chassis?

I'm a little curious about this rifle as well. I'm looking to get into precision shooting and want to know if I'll get some decent bang for the buck with this.

Reactions: jnr88 and Thecelt
I recently got hands on with two of them. They're not bad.

DSC_7362sml.jpg

DSC_7360sml.jpg

Nice looking rifle.

I have a Savage Model 12 and it shoots well. Group size for the factory barrel was around 0.25” to 0.4”. Did not keep track of the aggregate (average group size), but probably around 0.35”. Shocked and surprised a few guys who showed up at the range with $5K custom rifles. Allowed them to shoot a group at 200 yards, and they got 3 shot groups around 0.3 MOA.

Does not always extract the spent round properly, but usually adequate. Bolt lift is pretty hard, and tends to disturb sight picture.

Curious what group size you got? And what caliber?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jknox1030
Nice looking rifle.

I have a Savage Model 12 and it shoots well. Group size for the factory barrel was around 0.25” to 0.4”. Did not keep track of the aggregate (average group size), but probbaly around 0.35”. Shocked and surprised a few guys who showed up at the range with $5K custom rifles. Allowed them to shoot a group at 200 yards, and they got 3 shot groups around 0.3 MOA.

Does not always extract the spent round properly, but usually adequate. Bolt lift is pretty hard.

Bolt lift is what I was most curious about. My 116 is actually pretty smooth, and it's just a normal factory savage action. The bolt lift is very heavy though when it cocks back the firing pin

The other thing that I haven’t heard people talk about related to the heavy bolt lift is the cocking mechanism. This is the biggest issue I see with the bolt lift. Metal on metal up the entire “cocking ramp”. 100% cock on open with a ton of metal on metal is a disaster.

Reactions: LOF
The other thing that I haven’t heard people talk about related to the heavy bolt lift is the cocking mechanism. This is the biggest issue I see with the bolt lift. Metal on metal up the entire “cocking ramp”. 100% cock on open with a ton of metal on metal is a disaster.
Same issue I've found. I tried cutting the spring down, didn't make a difference. I'm not going to go as far as taking a Dremel to the cocking ramp like I've read others doing, I even replaced the spring after I didn't notice a difference. It's just too reliable the way it is to mess with it. It's a clunker, but it fills freezers

Reactions: 260S and Jknox1030

It belonged to Pat Kelley who shoots for Savage, and I didn't spend enough time with it that I can really give you an informed assessment. It was shooting .5-.75 groups from what I saw (I didn't shoot any groups with it myself). As far as bolt lift and the smoothness of the action, I'm not going to say it felt as smooth as a Defiance, Impact, etc., but it wasn't bad.

Reactions: Defiance Machine
I have a SS action with a long bolt knob that's pretty smooth for a savage. I think I just got lucky. SS does help a bit though.

Much sexxyness. Love Savage, like MDT....for me these where love at first sight. Now to just figure out what caliber i want mine in. Not sure why so many people talk about bolt lift......you know in the Ferrari F40 the way you open the door is to pull on a cable. Not one F40 owner complains cause driving is what it was built for, not opening the door with glitter and rainbows.

Reactions: Der_SID
It certainly is a pretty rifle and a lovely chassis.

Is hard bolt lift really a problem? Guess it depends on “philosophy of use”. My scratched up old Savage 12 is still used for shooting single feed hand loads (Bergers loaded very long, just off the lands) at steel targets at 600 off a bench. The ammo does not need to fit in the mag, and rapidly cycling the bolt does not actually matter. In this use case, everybody that shoots the gun just love the accuracy they get! They are blown away that a $900 factory rifle can shoot the occasional 2” or 3” group at 600, it is kinda eye opening to many people. I guess optimized hand loads and positive compensation contribute to the result. In this type of use, the hard bolt lift and extraction issues do not interfere at all. It seems Savage put their money where it improved accuracy (a blueprinted action, floating bolt head, and a light adjustable and fairly crisp trigger, and a heavy fluted 26” bull barrel).

But i already know that it sucks as a hunting rifle climbing snow covered hillsides looking for mountain goats. Too damn heavy, too front heavy to shoot offhand, too bulky with that 26” barrel and a muzzle brake and a 3 shot mag that won’t always feed properly makes me nervous.

If i decide to compete in a prone 1000 yard match with this rifle, then mag feeding becomes a must while firing long strings under time pressure. I might get a little frustrated with my beloved Savage then, as i will likely lose the target in the scope every time i cycle the bolt, and will have to reacquire the target each shot, and that will cost you time. Extraction problems will really break your concentration too. That is when a Defiance with a 5R Bartlein in a nice chassis will really shine, but now you pay $5000 plus. Different use case, different tool, different price point.

I just put one on order at the only place that I could find. It says backorder but the pricing was better than what I was expecting vs their msrp. 1,750 for everything but 338 300WM which was 1,799.00. The chassis alone with a MDT 10 rounder is over 1,200 so you’re getting a blueprinted stainless nitrided action, titanium nitrided bolt, threaded barrel (I’ll swap trigger and probably swap out the barrel depending...) all for $1,750. That’s an absolute no brained for me! Aaron

Any idea when these are going to be shipping. Looking for either the 300prc or 300 Norma
Savage rep said they will start shipping in February allegedly! Also, calibers are 223, 6mm CM, 6.5CM, 338 Lapua, 300 Win Mag and 308 I believe.
I just put one on order at Impact guns, the only site online that is showing them backorderable. Cost is $1,750 for all models except the 300 WM and 338 Lapua which are $1,799.
Aaron

Reactions: Spblademaker
Im anxious to hear reports on how it groups and functions as im in the market for a new precision rifle.

I have a 12lrp in .260. Shoots way better than I can. <1/2” all day with factory Berger match loads.

(With my new glass)
8B56B9A5-9F92-4010-8686-8342AEB1031B.jpeg

10rds @100yrd, Berger 136 Scenar-L match ammo.
5F63E29B-FFC9-4EB4-8940-2968E953287D.jpeg

Rifle and glass/mounting for all day hits on 8” plate at 800yrd... $1500 all in.

That new tin bolted thing is sweet for a factory offering from savage. My 111 and 10 based rifles were not bad, but the “target” actions like my 12LRP made me more of a believer.

If the model 110 you are looking at is a small shank (looks to be), then it’s an easy conversion step into a Bighorn/Zwhatever origin or TL3 with what ever barrel you already have at the time. I have a Shilen select match stainless varmint in 6.5x55 just waiting for me to get that TL3 I’ve been putting off for when my 12LRP gets boring.

If you are considering ever growing out of a short action, you can get a bolt baffle for about $6 that will reduce bolt stroke for a SA length round.

I have built a few savage bases rifles and love the LEGO nature of the platform. They are not the same as a “custom” action, but for the money they are hard to beat.

Last edited:
hey fellows here is the link to my thread on using 250 savage case as with using new powders this cartridge came alive.
getting money together for a 1/8 twist barrel as you'll see i got Berger 115gr to 3050+ FPS and no problems with brass or primers.
also i did a big thread on how to make your savage easy to work the bolt. it will take you longer to take the bolt apart than to fix the problem

I ordered mine this morning (Savage product #57557 6.5CR) it's supposed to be here Friday and I will post again after I get it. Grab a gun sent me an alert that they had a few mid day today.

Reactions: Thecelt
There are several 300 WinMag versions of this rifle for sale on Gunbroker right now. Savage is shipping these rifles now but there's a high demand and I believe the WinMag 6.5 CR and .308 are the only calibers at the moment. There is also a 110 Precision as well as the Elite Precision. The elite version has 26 inch modified Palma barrels for short action and 30 inch modified Palma for the Magnums. Its my understanding the modified part is the threaded barrel and that a Palma barrel is .15 or so heavier profile than "heavy" profile with a longer initial breech end before beginning the very slight taper. An interesting side note Grabagun sells the 6.5 for $1579 but I bought mine from a different seller because I live in Tennessee and most big online stores charge sales tax which is 9.75% in Tennessee. The smaller sellers don't charge sales tax so I actually saved money.. I don't know why the big online retailers are charging sales tax for customers in states the retailer doesn't have a physical store in.

Reactions: blues2o
There are several 300 WinMag versions of this rifle for sale on Gunbroker right now. Savage is shipping these rifles now but there's a high demand and I believe the WinMag 6.5 CR and .308 are the only calibers at the moment. There is also a 110 Precision as well as the Elite Precision. The elite version has 26 inch modified Palma barrels for short action and 30 inch modified Palma for the Magnums. Its my understanding the modified part is the threaded barrel and that a Palma barrel is .15 or so heavier profile than "heavy" profile with a longer initial breech end before beginning the very slight taper. An interesting side note Grabagun sells the 6.5 for $1579 but I bought mine from a different seller because I live in Tennessee and most big online stores charge sales tax which is 9.75% in Tennessee. The smaller sellers don't charge sales tax so I actually saved money.. I don't know why the big online retailers are charging sales tax for customers in states the retailer doesn't have a physical store in.

See: South Dakota v. Wayfair

Reactions: 7fingers
I've heard that some sellers are being proactive in the hopes of preventing Congress taking up the issue. I have to admit it really isn't fair to local retailers when online stores can sell without sales tax. Especially in high sales tax states like mine.

I should have mine in 338 Lapua in 2-6 weeks according to Savage. It will be making the trip to Indiana for the 2020 NRA/ELR National Match. I’m hoping to again do very well with this rifle, it would be super sweet to set another ELR Central World Record. All of my competition guns are Savage and in my opinion they are the best bang for the buck on the market.

I should have mine in 338 Lapua in 2-6 weeks according to Savage. It will be making the trip to Indiana for the 2020 NRA/ELR National Match. I’m hoping to again do very well with this rifle, it would be super sweet to set another ELR Central World Record. All of my competition guns are Savage and in my opinion they are the best bang for the buck on the market.
I thought about getting a WinMag but the simple fact of the matter is here in Tennessee there isn't anywhere to shoot that the 6.5 can't reach. With the Palma barrel I should be able to load pretty hot if there's a need. I've always thought it would be a lot of fun to play with some of the bigger magnums out west where finding places to shoot at a mile and further is possible.

In have something similar now the 12lrp resides in an MDT ACC.

Was looking at the elite precision as a, “I see what you did there” then noticed it came in 6.5PRC. That got me in the rabbit hole, and I discovered the 110 High country in .280ai.

Now I’m trying to justify buying that long action Bighorn after all.

I paid for one of these last week on gunbroker for what I thought was a fantastic price... I paid for it but the seller is being unresponsive to me and my local FFL. I’m not sure if they’re actually going to ship it or not but Im not sure what do do. I was pretty stoked to get it but who knows??

I paid for one of these last week on gunbroker for what I thought was a fantastic price... I paid for it but the seller is being unresponsive to me and my local FFL. I’m not sure if they’re actually going to ship it or not but Im not sure what do do. I was pretty stoked to get it but who knows??
That sucks! I almost bought one that was a preorder without realizing it. Gunbroker is like eBay. The sellers rating is important and affects how they can do business on Gunbroker. I would get Gunbroker support involved. I bought mine a 6 am this morning and it's already in transit. Some sellers sell drop shipments from a distributor. The seller never has possession on the gun and just advertises and acts as a middleman. Grab a Gun does this and I like Grab a Gun but I assume and expect shipment in 24 hours of payment. It makes me mad when they have some mysterious "processing" that takes 3 or 4 days!

I decided against the 33XC and the 37XC after talking to David Tubb and finding out that the expected barrel life is extremely short, between 700 and 800 rounds with the 33XC and 1000 to 1200 with the 37XC. They are however very accurate.

Reactions: Brutalwarpig
Thanks. I’ve already contacted Gunbroker and got this canned response which doesn’t do anything in my mind. I’ll attach their response.

I have one on preorder as well w Impact guns bit for a bit more than I thought I’d bought on G Broker. I love that ACC chassis... hope it’s a misunderstanding though I’ve bought several guns their and never had this happen.

Attachments

• 44D2E65A-2BE5-423F-85ED-CF94E077B9ED.png
    44D2E65A-2BE5-423F-85ED-CF94E077B9ED.png
    876 KB · Views: 148
So did you buy yours directly from savage?
or you just getting the ELR hook up, I’m waiting for one to be available in 338 as well!

Thanks. I’ve already contacted Gunbroker and got this canned response which doesn’t do anything in my mind. I’ll attach their response.

I have one on preorder as well w Impact guns bit for a bit more than I thought I’d bought on G Broker. I love that ACC chassis... hope it’s a misunderstanding though I’ve bought several guns their and never had this happen.
You may be able to reverse the transaction by going through your credit card company as a fraud claim. A fraudulent seller is still fraud. I've had to do this once. Not on Gunbroker but same idea. I got my money back. I bet this seller sold you a preorder and is putting you off until Savage ships it to them.

I decided against the 33XC and the 37XC after talking to David Tubb and finding out that the expected barrel life is extremely short, between 700 and 800 rounds with the 33XC and 1000 to 1200 with the 37XC. They are however very accurate.
I would love to give ELR a try but it's 3 to 5 times the cost of other long range disciplines to be able to compete. Not to mention I live nowhere near a range of that distance. I have a ton of respect for David Tubb and others who've mastered ELR but it's not for me.

or you just getting the ELR hook up, I’m waiting for one to be available in 338 as well!
I asked Savage if I could buy directly from them and they said no. Of course I'm not a well known long range shooter.

Mine is coming from Savage to use in the upcoming ELR season, they said 2-6 weeks. I’m hoping for 2 weeks but planning on 6 due to the huge interest in them.

I’m ok with 1100-1200 for the performance you get without a cheytac or 50bmg bolt face.
Last year I developed 3 spots where I can set steel at 2400 to 3000+ Yards

I would love to give ELR a try but it's 3 to 5 times the cost of other long range disciplines to be able to compete. Not to mention I live nowhere near a range of that distance. I have a ton of respect for David Tubb and others who've mastered ELR but it's not for me.

I would disagree with that, the total cost of my ELR rifle as fired was $4100. The rifle was bought used from a friend for $1500 with the chassis, bipod $400, Ivey Mount $700 and Vortex Golden Eagle scope was a little over $1400.

Last edited:
For anyone wanting this is 6.5 sportsman’s just got it in stock.

Attachments

• 79923D16-7530-4FCC-BC9A-8692C8F83D42.png
    79923D16-7530-4FCC-BC9A-8692C8F83D42.png
    671.2 KB · Views: 233
I would disagree with that, the total cost of my ELR rifle as fired was $4100. The rifle was bought used from a friend for $1500 with the chassis, bipod $400, Ivey Mount $700 and Vortex Golden Eagle scope was a little over $1400.
I compete in local prs, F-class and high power
For anyone wanting this is 6.5 sportsman’s just got it in stock.
Yeah Grabagun, Smokin Guns and Davidson's have all sent me stock alerts for the Savage 57557 (110 elite 6.5 creedmoor) as in stock. Mine is arriving today and I hope it was money well spent. $1700 is a lot of money for a Savage but their quality has been excellent in recent years so I expect an excellent firearm.

I compete in local prs, F-class and high power

Yeah Grabagun, Smokin Guns and Davidson's have all sent me stock alerts for the Savage 57557 (110 elite 6.5 creedmoor) as in stock. Mine is arriving today and I hope it was money well spent. $1700 is a lot of money for a Savage but their quality has been excellent in recent years so I expect an excellent firearm.
Meh not a lot of money for what you are getting with the simple fact you are getting a mdt chasis, and a rifle for that price. Its like $400 more than just the chassis.
I am still waiting for my 338 to get in stock

Wow that's a lot more reasonable than I would of thought.
Meh not a lot of money for what you are getting with the simple fact you are getting a mdt chasis, and a rifle for that price. Its like $400 more than just the chassis.
I am still waiting for my 338 to get in stock
Have you considered the 338 Norma? I had the opportunity to take a couple of shots with a custom 700 action/shilen rifle chambered in 338 Norma. It was only 1000 yards but it was an incredibly flat & powerful round. The guy who owned the rifle said it started out as the Lapua and he had the chamber cut to Norma specs. I've never shot a 338 Lapua but that Norma was impressive.

Reactions: 7fingers