• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 in 6arc… anyone have hands on?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    Looking at grabagun today and saw a savage 110 18” 6arc bolt gun. Has anyone had experience with it? Only savage I ever had was a 12 LRP. Shot amazing but hated the bolt throw.

Yep. But I have the 110 Switchback that comes from Sportsman’s Warehouse with a 22” barrel. It’s been a good rifle to me. Didn’t shoot the factory ammo as well as I personally wanted, around .75 at the very best and typically 1-ish”, but with hand loads, it’ll shoot everything good from the 87 vmax all the way to a 109 Berger. Was going to throw it in a better stock, but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze considering it’ll shoot 3’s and 4’s. But, there of course is some kind of drawback when you are shooting a rifle that barely cost more than $500. Number 1 is ejection. It seems that almost every newer Savage I’ve messed with lately needs something fiddled with for ejection to become 95+%. Almost all just need a little bevel put on the ejector itself. About 10 seconds with a Dremel. Second, again it’s kind of to be expected at this price point, they are not a smooth bolt to run overall. They’re big and clunky. Those 2 things aside, I’d buy one again and again if I could pull this accuracy out of them. They just flat out shoot. If you have specific questions, just ask.

Reactions: Digetydog
    Yep. But I have the 110 Switchback that comes from Sportsman’s Warehouse with a 22” barrel. It’s been a good rifle to me. Didn’t shoot the factory ammo as well as I personally wanted, around .75 at the very best and typically 1-ish”, but with hand loads, it’ll shoot everything good from the 87 vmax all the way to a 109 Berger. Was going to throw it in a better stock, but not sure the juice is worth the squeeze considering it’ll shoot 3’s and 4’s. But, there of course is some kind of drawback when you are shooting a rifle that barely cost more than $500. Number 1 is ejection. It seems that almost every newer Savage I’ve messed with lately needs something fiddled with for ejection to become 95+%. Almost all just need a little bevel put on the ejector itself. About 10 seconds with a Dremel. Second, again it’s kind of to be expected at this price point, they are not a smooth bolt to run overall. They’re big and clunky. Those 2 things aside, I’d buy one again and again if I could pull this accuracy out of them. They just flat out shoot. If you have specific questions, just ask.
    My savage lrp had ejection issues also, but it did feed smooth, but it wasn’t $500.
    I’ve got a Ruger ranch 6.5 Grendel and just not crazy about it. Getting into a bolt gun will be cheaper than building an AR… that’s why I was eyeing the savage with the 18”

Rebarrelling the Ruger could also be an option.

I have a Switchback in 6ARC. I planned from the start to put it in a chassis. I love mine. I don't think the cartridge needs the long barrel mine came with. The 18 would be perfect suppressed.

I have a Switchback in 6ARC. I planned from the start to put it in a chassis. I love mine. I don't think the cartridge needs the long barrel mine came with. The 18 would be perfect suppressed.
    All the wonderful numbers hornady talks about were through a 24" barrel

Not a 110, but I do have an Axis II that I put in an Oryx chassis. It has a 22" barrel and uses ACIS magazines. It is chambered in 6 ARC and also shoots 3's and 4's.
    ResizerImage604X453.jpg

All the wonderful numbers hornady talks about were through a 24" barrel

I have gotten very good accuracy out of my 20" gas gun and my 24" Savage. Accuracy is better than I am.

In terms of velocities, I have gotten the promised "gas gun" numbers that Hornady promised. With the Savage, I get the promised numbers using their bolt gun numbers as well; however, I usually reload at gas gun levels so I don't have to worry about having to make and track a special load for each gun.

Ultimately, the 6ARC was designed to get as much performance as possible out of an AR-15. In that respect, it has met my expectations.

In the bolt gun, the 6ARC cannot compete with the velocity of "308" cartridges like the 243 and 6mm CM because it lacks the powder capacity of the bigger cartridges. Of course, the 6CM is a barrel burner and the 243 cannot shoot the heaviest 6mm bullets.

I have all three, but I shoot the 6ARC the most. It is just easy.

I have gotten very good accuracy out of my 20" gas gun and my 24" Savage. Accuracy is better than I am.

In terms of velocities, I have gotten the promised "gas gun" numbers that Hornady promised. With the Savage, I get the promised numbers using their bolt gun numbers as well; however, I usually reload at gas gun levels so I don't have to worry about having to make and track a special load for each gun.

Ultimately, the 6ARC was designed to get as much performance as possible out of an AR-15. In that respect, it has met my expectations.

In the bolt gun, the 6ARC cannot compete with the velocity of "308" cartridges like the 243 and 6mm CM because it lacks the powder capacity of the bigger cartridges. Of course, the 6CM is a barrel burner and the 243 cannot shoot the heaviest 6mm bullets.

I have all three, but I shoot the 6ARC the most. It is just easy.
    That is why I prefer the grendel but most stuff. I LOVE 6CM.. and want another, but for range time, burning up 42+ gr of powder, vs 27-29 with the grendel, or similar cases.. just doesnt make sense in our climate right now. I had a ruger precision 6cm, that was on sale for 800-900... I was pushing 108 eld's right at 3100 fps and that thing was the most accurate rifle Ive ever had. 5 shot groups literally looked like I shot the paper once.

BUT.. I like the grendel, it's lack of speed is what gets me everytime I chrono rounds... I think about going to 100ELD to shoot, but then I might as well get a 6arc if Im going to do that.

That is why I prefer the grendel but most stuff. I LOVE 6CM.. and want another, but for range time, burning up 42+ gr of powder, vs 27-29 with the grendel, or similar cases.. just doesnt make sense in our climate right now. I had a ruger precision 6cm, that was on sale for 800-900... I was pushing 108 eld's right at 3100 fps and that thing was the most accurate rifle Ive ever had. 5 shot groups literally looked like I shot the paper once.

BUT.. I like the grendel, it's lack of speed is what gets me everytime I chrono rounds... I think about going to 100ELD to shoot, but then I might as well get a 6arc if Im going to do that.

During the pandemic, I found 6.5mm bullets harder to find than 6mm bullets. Plus, 6mm bullets are often much cheaper to purchase than larger bullets.

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    During the pandemic, I found 6.5mm bullets harder to find than 6mm bullets. Plus, 6mm bullets are often much cheaper to purchase than larger bullets.
    I agree. Im going to try and find a used magpul stock for my ruger, I ordered a 6arc mdt aics mag to go with it.. if I cant get happy with it, Ill just order a 6arc prefit. I wish 6BR was more common, i knew someone years ago with one and that thing was super impressive.

6BR and 6BRA are literally easy buttons to load and shoot.
    I know.. I watched the guy do load dev. and almost everything he chambered was shooting .25-.5"

I was saying, I wish it had caught on and became a production caliber. It'd be sweet to have a bunch of rifles chambered in it from companies.

I know.. I watched the guy do load dev. and almost everything he chambered was shooting .25-.5"

I was saying, I wish it had caught on and became a production caliber. It'd be sweet to have a bunch of rifles chambered in it from companies.

Both are common in prefit barrels.

Both are common in prefit barrels.
    You're correct.
    For my ruger american grendel though, I think swapping to the arc would be the easy way to go, no?

I just ordered a magpul hunter, and mdt 6arc aics mag, if I end up rebarreling this budget project gun, Ill probably sell the XTR3 thats ontop of it (weighs as much as the gun) and get a 3-18 MK5 for it.