• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 in oryx chassis

Fourtyfive

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2019
Anyone have any experience with using the Oryx chassis on a Savage LA? Does it matter which mag type you have, center or stagger feed. Never used a chassis system before, but read a review on optics planet that said they had to modify the frame to get the magazine to lock in for a stagger feed. Can't seem to find anything about that on any other site.

Same question here. Especially since savage has so many different long action designs.

Reached out to Oryx and just heard back from them.

"If you have an older stagger feed action your receiver will cover part of the magazine well so you will have to install the action in the chassis, scribe the rear area of the mag well and then remove that material at the back of the mag well opening of the receiver so a magazine can seat and feed.

If you do not modify the action then there is no way for an AICS sized magazine to insert and seat into it."

Reactions: kzdurango
The stagger feed magazine box was attached to the action. The loading port is squared off and smaller. So, yes, you can dremel it out, lol.

The centerfeed action uses magazines so the loading port is cut longer.

Necromancing this thread 🧙

Recently picked up an Oryx for a Savage (yeah, I know🙄🤫) long action, only to discover that my old stagger feed action is not readily compatible and will need to be milled to fit.

Has anyone done this and were the results worth the effort??
Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: OperatorD
Necromancing this thread 🧙

Recently picked up an Oryx for a Savage (yeah, I know🙄🤫) long action, only to discover that my old stagger feed action is not readily compatible and will need to be milled to fit.

Has anyone done this and were the results worth the effort??
Any information or tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Pretty sure all you need to do is modify the mags. I have an old 110 in an Oryx and it took a few passes with a file to get the Magpul mags to seat.

Pretty sure all you need to do is modify the mags. I have an old 110 in an Oryx and it took a few passes with a file to get the Magpul mags to seat.

Hmmm, the little information I was able to find said the mag modifications were not working that well🤷‍♂️ Suppose it depends on the cartridge?

Sent a PM to MDT as well.

Hmmm, the little information I was able to find said the mag modifications were not working that well🤷‍♂️ Suppose it depends on the cartridge?

Sent a PM to MDT as well.
Mine locks in perfect. I just knocked a little bit off until it locked in place.

DDB70798-A17A-439C-8479-657A2CA94877.jpeg

Looks like mine needs .320” removed!

Last edited:
397CFF94-C5B3-47B3-B116-76FBFC365FCA.jpeg

The line is back of the mag well on the chassis. That metal covers up that much of the AICS Mag and would not allow proper feeding even if it would somehow seat.

Last edited:
For future reference, I milled out my old Savage 116 stagger feed action to fit the 3.715" AICS mags used in the Oryx long action chassis. In the photo above, I scribed a line on the bottom of the action where it met the mag well opening. Having zero information other than "that material needs to be removed", I milled it out. This allowed the mag to fit perfectly; almost! Applying pressure to the bottom of the mag allowed it rise up and would prevent forward movement of the bolt once retracted. 🤔 🤔

Modern problems require modern solutions!

A magazine stop was needed. The old adage "measure twice, cut once" was not applicable here as I had nothing to reference and a mag that was longer than the cutout in the action. Fortunately, I own a welder :oops:, and since this a Savage action, what did I have to lose:ROFLMAO:? So, I loaded 1 round in the mag, inserted it and pushed the bolt partially forward, then retracted it and scribed a line with a dental pick along the back edge of the AICS mag / action interface. My measurement (with Mitutoyo digital calipers) showed .065" from the bottom of the action should stop the upward travel of the magazine, but material needed to be added. A couple of zaps with the welder (with 308L stainless wire, in this case)
and the protrusion was formed. A few light passes with the mill down .065", a little light cleaning and polishing, and Viola, a mag stop is born! [See pic below]

Feeds and functions great, or a good as a retro-fitted Savage can!

So, to anyone attempting this, be sure to leave a little (.100"+) forward of your scribed line, mill down .050" along your scribed line and do the final fitting from there.

Wrote this out because there was no other decent information (that I could find) about converting the Savage110 / 116 long action, stagger feed, flat back actions to fit the Oryx.

A wiser choice would be to not buy a Savage...........:whistle:

74035FFF-D328-45DB-89CF-D92ED3A3EB13.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: kzdurango
For future reference, I milled out my old Savage 116 stagger feed action to fit the 3.715" AICS mags used in the Oryx long action chassis. In the photo above, I scribed a line on the bottom of the action where it met the mag well opening. Having zero information other than "that material needs to be removed", I milled it out. This allowed the mag to fit perfectly; almost! Applying pressure to the bottom of the mag allowed it rise up and would prevent forward movement of the bolt once retracted. 🤔 🤔

Modern problems require modern solutions!

A magazine stop was needed. The old adage "measure twice, cut once" was not applicable here as I had nothing to reference and a mag that was longer than the cutout in the action. Fortunately, I own a welder :oops:, and since this a Savage action, what did I have to lose:ROFLMAO:? So, I loaded 1 round in the mag, inserted it and pushed the bolt partially forward, then retracted it and scribed a line with a dental pick along the back edge of the AICS mag / action interface. My measurement (with Mitutoyo digital calipers) showed .065" from the bottom of the action should stop the upward travel of the magazine, but material needed to be added. A couple of zaps with the welder (with 308L stainless wire, in this case)
and the protrusion was formed. A few light passes with the mill down .065", a little light cleaning and polishing, and Viola, a mag stop is born! [See pic below]

Feeds and functions great, or a good as a retro-fitted Savage can!

So, to anyone attempting this, be sure to leave a little (.100"+) forward of your scribed line, mill down .050" along your scribed line and do the final fitting from there.

Wrote this out because there was no other decent information (that I could find) about converting the Savage110 / 116 long action, stagger feed, flat back actions to fit the Oryx.

A wiser choice would be to not buy a Savage...........:whistle:

View attachment 7885403
What tool did you use? Drexel? I'm in the same spot your in.

And what magazine did you recommend? Thanks for the help.
I was using an MDT mag as it came with the chassis, but any of them should be just fine.

Yes, had a .308 barrel on it at the time, was using a 30-06 mag. No longer have any of it.

Reactions: OperatorD