• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 110 LA what caliber

07yzryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
So i shot the barrel out on my 243 and now i have a savage 110 long action action with a 308 bolt face sitting naked on my desk. I want this to be a longer range rifle, something to reach out at least 1200 yards with reasonable accuracy. Was tossing the idea of the 6.5CM or the 6.5x47 lapua around any other ideas on calibers i should look into? I hand load so availability of factory ammo is not a concern but components are.

I have been looking at the 280 Rem, Berger makes a pretty good bullet that might work real well. I have a 260 Rem that I really like. 1100 in stout wind was little trouble.

I have been looking at the 280 Rem, Berger makes a pretty good bullet that might work real well. I have a 260 Rem that I really like. 1100 in stout wind was little trouble.

yea im new to competition shooting and listened to my smith who said theres no point in a longer barrel. young and dumb.... so my 19 inch 308 MAY get the job done but i know there's better calibers out there. The other option is a switch barrel since i do have the tools to work on my 700 and it has been trued printed yadda yadda and it would save me from buying additional optics...

noticed your in Vegas as well, so guess you know the conditions we can get.

284Win or 6.5-284.

the 6.5-284 sounds like its a 6.5 on steroids after reading up on it a bit...

looking at it, i might do a 6.5x284 on the LA long term while doing a switchbarrel on the SA so i can get a better caliber up and running sooner.