• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 Long Action for a budget long range magnum build

eugevita

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
Have an opportunity to buy a mint savage 110 300 win mag hunting rifle for pretty damn cheap (great shape, almost new but pencil hunting barrel).

Plan would be to eventually turn it into a budget 1000+ shooter/occasional LR hunting rig (I already have a 6.5, 308). Is the Savage 110 a good action for re barreling and for this sort of build? Curious as to folks suggestions on this project before I commit to buying the rifle.

Could I turn it into a 300 PRC or would mags be an issue? My understanding is a lot of companies make pre fits for savage 110 and I could drop it into something like an oryx chassis.

Never owned a savage or a long action so appreciate any advice!

I'm far from an expert, but I'll relay my experience. I have a Model 10, was a factory 308. It was a great shooter, added a XLR chassis. I decided I wanted to rebarrel to a 6 Creedmoor. I found out I have a Large Shank barrel, which isn't a big deal, but there are fewer prefits available. I had Hawk Hill make me a barrel, and it's a hammer, but it's still on that Savage action. It's just not as smooth as my friends with Defiance or Bighorn actions.
I too would like a 1 mile gun, but I'm going to piece it together slowly, buy an action, find a trigger, etc.

Reactions: eugevita
Don't see much downside to the purchase if it's a great deal. Savage actions can be slicked up a fair bit. BTW, MDT makes a mag specifically for 300 prc. You might also look at a Savage 110 HS Precision rifle in 300 prc. They are around $1K and come with an HS Precision stock and an MDT mag.

This one started out as a pre Accutrigger package rifle in 30.06 given to me.
Swap bolt heads/firing pin for 300WM, Timney trigger Shilen Select match No.7 barrel. XLR chassis with mercury recoil reducer, Witt clamp on break. It will cost you a small fortune.

Attachments

• 20200903_160439.jpg
    20200903_160439.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 135
The problem with savages is they quickly become money pits. I think it could be effective for what you want to do, but may end up costing more than you think. Savage inletted stocks are more difficult to find, especially in the long action variety. Also, savages have a common issue of heavy bolt lift and weak extraction/ejection. The accutrigger is good, but if you want an aftermarket one, it’ll cost more than a comparable r700 trigger. IMO, you’d probably be better off with a bergara hmr in 300wm or pro. Building the savage will put you at a similar price point

The problem with savages is they quickly become money pits. I think it could be effective for what you want to do, but may end up costing more than you think. Savage inletted stocks are more difficult to find, especially in the long action variety. Also, savages have a common issue of heavy bolt lift and weak extraction/ejection. The accutrigger is good, but if you want an aftermarket one, it’ll cost more than a comparable r700 trigger. IMO, you’d probably be better off with a bergara hmr in 300wm or pro. Building the savage will put you at a similar price point

Spot on! But it was free, at least at first.🤪

I do run a bolt lift kit and extended bolt handle. The mag well on the reciever needed opened up to take full advantage of the Accurate Mag length.
I've had the rifle for over 12years, it's been in more than one stock. Its had both a factory 300wm (free again) as well as the current Shilen (not so free and chambered and threaded with a shoulder instead of the barrel nut.)
I felt bad with it sitting in the case for so long in the old laminate stock and no scope that I went with the chassis which also got me a detachable mag vs the old blind mag feed. To save a bit I bought a FFP V3i Leupold in the PX.
A factory rifle would have probably been cheaper, but what's the fun in that.

Spot on! But it was free, at least at first.🤪

I do run a bolt lift kit and extended bolt handle. The mag well on the reciever needed opened up to take full advantage of the Accurate Mag length.
I've had the rifle for over 12years, it's been in more than one stock. Its had both a factory 300wm (free again) as well as the current Shilen (not so free and chambered and threaded with a shoulder instead of the barrel nut.)
I felt bad with it sitting in the case for so long in the old laminate stock and no scope that I went with the chassis which also got me a detachable mag vs the old blind mag feed. To save a bit I bought a FFP V3i Leupold in the PX.
A factory rifle would have probably been cheaper, but what's the fun in that.
I definitely get it if you like tinkering with things haha

thank you for the info, definitely some stuff to ponder, perhaps it is indeed a more expensive project than I initially envisioned

Agree with most of the above. Take a Savage, add an exctractor kit and maybe a trigger, a barrel, and you are still less than most customs for just an action. Building your own is expensive regardless of where you start. You can pick up a new Bergara in the chambering and be ready to shoot for same money and be close.

The barrel is 95% of the accuracy. If its for a bench or belly shooter, Savage is fine. In the end, there are other better options if you are going to work on it.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
By the time you put the money into it you could have been ahead just getting a Ruger rpr imo. I own a bunch of savages. They multiply like rabbits in my safe. They are just so easy to throw parts on, and before you know it your cheap savage starts having barrel babies and you’ll end up with a pile of go gauges to match them. They certainly are fun to tinker on and they shoot good groups. I’ve experienced Action feeding issues and sloppy firing pins making for some headaches. Guys also have ejection issues although I have not. Far as a belly gun they are awesome but they just seem to leave something to be desired imo.

I actually went and shot a couple of a buddies custom Savages (both .22 Creeds) today. Nice rifles.

Then I got out my bighorn........

I get it. Savages are serviceable and inexpensive, just don’t shoot it beside antything else.

The good news is (correct me if I’m wrong), Bighorn Origins and Savage Small Shanks have the same thread, so you can run a barrel nut setup, and if you hate it, trip the action and stock and keep the barrel.

They are more then capable rifles and for a budget build it will treat you well. They do take some finessing to make them feel nice and fix the quirks. I went down a rabbit hole with mine and I’m at the point that the only savage parts remaining are the action, front and rear baffles and the back action screw but it’s been a fun road making it what it is.

It totally has potential but be careful dumping a lot of $$$ into it.
I’d never recoup the money I have into mine but it has served me well and burned out a few barrels.
A target trigger spring and a good prefit barrel and it will hammer.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
What is all this money people are dumping into them? While I agree, building anything is a lot more than buying factory. But a build is a build. The issues Savages seem to have are typically cheap fixes. What am I missing?

It's still a Savage when you are done.
Sounds like a win win to me. :unsure: Yes, I'm a Jesus loving, domestic liquor drinking, humble (not by choice), non-Gray Poupon eating, public school educated piece of white trash (ie one of those people who enjoys shooting a Savage). I'll go be a poor somewhere else as your wisdom is wasted on me.

What is all this money people are dumping into them? While I agree, building anything is a lot more than buying factory. But a build is a build. The issues Savages seem to have are typically cheap fixes. What am I missing?
The little things that need correcting on a savage are cheap fixes, it’s when you start to change every part out that it gets you to the prices that you could build a cheaper custom for. If you’re gonna go all out you may be better suited with just starting with a custom action, I say that as a savage fan. If you are going to just make the essential fixes and shoot it’s a great way to get to the range, plus more money for ammo that way which is more important then having the fanciest rifle out there. Trigger time will make you a far better shooter then equipment.

I should add that I'm not saying a cheaper custom will necessarily shoot any better but some people really care about resale and that will be the downfall of investing heavily in the platform, If you buy it, build it and keep it for good then I don't think you are giving anything up with a savage build.

Last edited:
Reactions: shootmo
Sounds like a win win to me. :unsure: Yes, I'm a Jesus loving, domestic liquor drinking, humble (not by choice), non-Gray Poupon eating, public school educated piece of white trash (ie one of those people who enjoys shooting a Savage). I'll go be a poor somewhere else as your wisdom is wasted on me.

We can be friends.

Savage has been many a shooters first "precision rifle", it was mine and now I have 3. I will admit as will most on here that most of the Savage bashing has more to do with the "in crowd". They aren't silky smooth and the aren't full custom.
The now passed gunsmith I first went to years ago told me buy a Remington and then bring it too him and several hundred dollars later I would gave what I wanted, or go buy a "Mickey Mouse Savage" and start shooting.

Reactions: Jayhawkhuntclub
thank you for all the advice, i have decided to pass on the savage!

Pros of the Savage:
-low cost
-easy and inexpensive to rebarrel
-accutrigger is fine (if it's the heavier pull hunting one you can just change the spring and you'll have the varmint one that goes down to 1.5lbs.)
-I think (but not 100%) the long actions are one of the few factory actions that can accommodate the 3.85" mags for the 300PRC

Cons:
-you may have to fix some stuff that really shouldn't need fixing on a new rifle. Primary extraction and ejection are fairly common problems but cheap to fix
-bolt lift is heavy and the actions aren't terribly smooth. I have a short action with a few thousand rounds through it and it smoothed out nicely but still has a heavy bolt lift.
-not as much aftermarket support as 700s and clones.

The lack of smoothness and heavier bolt lift make them not the best choice for a competition rifle against a clock. But they can be great low-ish cost precision rifles and they're easy to work on at home.

Good luck with the choice you made but honestly the savage is not a bad choice at all to get into the long range game. Looking forward to seeing what you put together instead of the savage.

Pros of the Savage:
-low cost
-easy and inexpensive to rebarrel
-accutrigger is fine (if it's the heavier pull hunting one you can just change the spring and you'll have the varmint one that goes down to 1.5lbs.)
-I think (but not 100%) the long actions are one of the few factory actions that can accommodate the 3.85" mags for the 300PRC

Cons:
-you may have to fix some stuff that really shouldn't need fixing on a new rifle. Primary extraction and ejection are fairly common problems but cheap to fix
-bolt lift is heavy and the actions aren't terribly smooth. I have a short action with a few thousand rounds through it and it smoothed out nicely but still has a heavy bolt lift.
-not as much aftermarket support as 700s and clones.

The lack of smoothness and heavier bolt lift make them not the best choice for a competition rifle against a clock. But they can be great low-ish cost precision rifles and they're easy to work on at home.
I’d be happy to help you out with the heavy bolt lift issues on a savage. I’ve spent quite a bit of time learning what to polish and smooth out to make the bolt lift smooth. It took some work but I have a 35lb firing pin spring in mine and it feels lighter then my Bergara HMR pro now. The bolt can be made nice with alittle work on the action with some sand paper.

fat fingered the keyboard, 25lb spring not 35.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliper
Blah, Blah, Blah! 🤣

The one on the right is an old flat top that I've been hunting with for years.
6.5-284 norma. New barrel coming for it hopefully in May. Same caliber
I put it in a XLR chassis about two years ago.

The one the middle I've been shooting in matches since 2012. It came out of savage's coustom shop, the way I wanted it.
260 rem. target action, with the red blade. Accurate Mag bottom metal and mags. Left hand bolt right hand port.
26" barrel threaded for a break.
Bolt runs smooth . No failure to eject!!!
Put it in a MDT chassis about 2 years ago. Its the nicest bolt gun i own!

And just today, the one on the left, I picked up this afternoon.
Their 110 Timberline left hand in
300 WM.
It may turn out to be my go to hunting rifle?

I'm such a sucker! 😱😉

And when your done with them you can only give them away!

Attachments

• 20210402_232637.jpg
    20210402_232637.jpg
    527 KB · Views: 211