• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 tactical. Talk me into or out of

Theblakester03

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2019
Howdy, typical gun guy here. Most of my shooting is with rifles at 50-250 yds. I hunt hogs/yotes and other critters with night vision and thermal scopes.
Decided to begin testing the waters with medium-long range shooting (300-700 yds). Looking for a .308 with a 20” barrel. I don’t reload. I originally wanted something in the AR10 platform, but now leaning towards a bolt gun. I’m open to any and all suggestions, but my research keeps pointing me towards the savage 110 tactical for the price and what you get out the box as a starter precision long-ish range shooter. Also, I will be running this rifle suppressed.

Primary uses will be punching paper while learning more about basic long range shooting and possible hunting scenarios.

Will worry more about the right optic later, but thinking something like the vortex razor HDII 3-18x50.
Thanks in advance!

I’m a savage fan so I may be a bit biased, but I have a model 12 LRP and it shoots like a dream. I’ve never shot the 110 tactical but have eyed them and I like that it comes with the AICS mag well. If they’re like most savages they probably shoot really well for the money.

Don't buy a savage. In the end you'll end up putting a chassis on it, then swapping barrels, triggers, etc etc. I'd start off with a remington clone action that offers pre-fit compatability if that is the appeal of you going savage. I've got a bunch of savages. I wish I could get my money back out of them, but they don't sell well, aren't worth much, and once you dump a bunch of money into them; well they are still a savage. It's kinda like banging a fat girl. It's fun for a little bit but then you realize youdon't want to be seen in public with her.

Check out the Ashbury precision ordnance snipershide edition thread. Lowlight got them to make it up as a go to starting rifle. Probably more than you want to spend but it's good.

Reactions: Theblakester03
I’ve got 4 Savages left in my cabinet. 3 I built from actions up and my 110 30-06 that I have $170 into. I Have a majority of others (RR/GAP/Stiller/Armalite/DD, etc). In my opinion if you want a cheap hunting rifle, as in a beat around don’t care rifle, Savage is a good one in my opinion. But buy used if you can. As stated above the resale value isn’t great but if you grab used at a decent deal then you can recoop most of that cost vs new.

I started off dabbling in building my own rifles off savage actions years ago. Prefit barrels, assemble at home etc etc. They really shoot for what they are.

If it was me I’d build off a savage action and build what I want starting with an aftermarket barrel. Then select the stock/chassis I wanted.

The 2 below are mine that I built for long range (260/300). Other is my wife’s 308

709344CC-4A8C-4031-A74F-5BA2A2724460.jpeg
A4EDE065-F940-488C-A694-686C9C876E7D.jpeg
DD5E1C68-7EDF-49FE-A1BD-D9E3350D178C.jpeg

63F23126-9F4E-4436-98FF-004547992507.jpeg
35014397-96F4-4471-9E3B-5207E9157E98.jpeg
BAA86082-E07F-4148-ACF1-91AB9CE69156.jpeg

The 260 (black/stainless) rifle is my first real Savage build I did. Few groups out of the CBI barrel. 100/300/600 (5shots under bic) yards.

Savage fans (which I do appreciate a good savage) will like savage. Those who don’t never will. It’s like Glock generally speaking. You love em or you hate em

Picked up a stupid good deal on a Savage in an McMillian stock. Thought it would be a great beater gun. Cheap and accurate drew me in. Now I wish I never bought it. Money was spent to make it take aics mags, cheek riser, muzzle break, bolt lift fix and lastly paint cause it was damn ugly. Now I’ve got way to much money in a “beater” rifle. Shoots little holes and is handy in the field. Action fills like crap even after bolt lift mod and further action polishing.
I wish I would have just bought a $5-600 Remington and upgraded it over time.
Seriously, working the action on a Savage is like nails on a chalk board compared to every other rifle made in the history of man. If the groups weren’t so small, I would dump it. Hope this helps.

I have had a couple Rem 700’s as well. Both in 300 WM. SPS and a XCR. SPS came with about a 10 lbs trigger. Lowered that to about 3 lbs and the gun Averaged about 3/4 MOA. The XCR was a nicer rifle but shit for accuracy. One load out of 34 managed to hold under 1 MOA. Sold that for my first Savage 10 FCP HS Precison that shot 1/2 MOA without much load development. So I stuck with the savage since. Would like to try a Tikka eventually but find myself pulling more towards custom stuff but at a higher $$.

It’s not that savages are bad, it’s that there really are better rifles available for the same money.

I agree with this. Back when I bought my first savage (FCP HS Precision 308) there wasn’t a lot to choose from compared to what there is now. Savage had the adjustable lightweight triggers, floating bolt heads that helped make them accurate even tho the barrels looked like drain pipes and at a price that not many could compete with. Also factor in the few tools needed to swap out barrels and you had a semi customizable platform for a very reasonable price. As Savage became more popular so did the aftermarket stocks/chassis etc

Now you have almost every manufacturer with adjustable triggers, prefit barrels and about any stock/chassis configuration you could ask for. Not to mention Remington clone actions that cost less than having R700 actions trued/blueprinted by your gunsmith.

If I were the OP I would just set money aside and shop the classifieds on this site. Lots of precision rifles that get sold for way less money than what the owner had into them. I’d shop here for a decent deal. A great starter would be a Tikka Tac or something along those lines. But that is just my opinion

FYI- I’ve been an active member on the SavageShooters forum since 2012. It has gone from lots of members buying/selling/trading info etc, very similar to we do here, down to maybe 1 page a day of active posts. I’m finding a lot of members who started out in with Savages have moved on to other platforms. The popularity and love for them just doesn’t seem to be there like it used to

Last edited:
Reactions: demolitionman
For what you described you want to do with the rifle I see nothing wrong with the savage. You don’t need a custom action to go shoot steel at a range or field. A lot of these guys compete and shoot a lot, and many think if it doesn’t cost two grand it is junk. I have a savage 12 lrp and love it and have no complaints. That said a Tikka CTR would be a wise platform to go with also.

Savages can often shoot well..

Bud damn their bolt/chamber combos have cased more reloaders extraction issues than any other system out there. All works great with factory and medium loads. But the extraction window is a crap shoot for a lot of people ~

I’d look at the ashberry or tons of other proven affordable systems.. why start with a future cap

Reactions: Theblakester03
I started on Savage rifles a long time ago.

The other posters are correct. They shoot.

They’re also correct about there being better rifles that’ll shoot.

In 2019, I’d go for a Tikka in a heartbeat and not think twice about it. Slickest factory action I’ve ever felt, they shoot well, and there’s an aftermarket support for them that the Savage still doesn’t have.

Caveat: I don’t own a Tikka. Right now I’m using custom actions. My Savage sits unused and will likely never get shot again. It has sentimental value.

Savage rifles tend to shoot small. They’re just rough, and have limited aftermarket support. You can get stuff, but there’s not much point spending the money on a nice stock or chassis, good barrel, etc and still have that action. That’s where I wound up.

I have a Savage. I bought an Axis 243 off the internet for $180 new and used it for our clubs intro long range class. I did better than some others that were shooting RPRs. I was hooked. I’ve since replaced everything except the action and used it out to 1,500. As others have said, I put more money into it then it would re-sell for, but it’s exactly the way I want it and I wouldn’t change a think if I could. I you like to tinker and customize them you should try it.

Mike

The question to ask, in my mind, is where you might go in the long-range rifle space. I started playing with a DMR-variant AR-15 about three years ago. It was good to 400-500 yards. Then I got a Tikka T3X TAC A1 in 6.5CM, then a CZ-455 , then a Tikka T3X Varmint... chassis for the last two... then a custom 6.5CM... then a Vudoo... fortunately, I bought rifles with good resale value. If you are CERTAIN you'll never want to compete and won't shoot a lot and won't upgrade, the Savage will probably do you fine. But if you are prone to get drawn into new disciplines... heed the above. Go with Tikka for factory (imho, others will say otherwise) or the semi-custom that Lowlight has arranged for Hide members.

Savage will shoot but your better off with a different platform. Coming from a guy with a model 10 and model 12 LRP I wish I had 700 actions.

There aren't any good trigger options for Savage. All the replacements really aren't safe, hence why the factory ones have the saftey on the trigger.

You can anything and everything for a 700 action/footprint.

If you want a really good beginner long range rifle look into the Bergara B14 HMR. It is a Rem 700 footprint rifle. Comes with a good stock that needs nothing else, has QD slings attachments, adjustable cheek riser, and doesn't need to be bedded. Guaranteed sub moa. If you hunt around they can be had brand new for $850. Throw a Vortex Viper Pst gen 2 on there and you have a very capable rifle.

1......... (@armorpl8chikn )

I don't try to educate any more brother. At my age with my ailments my time is too valuable.
However.

To the OP:
Savage and Precision are two words that should never be used together. That said it doesn't take a precision rifle to make "hits" at 700yds. Consistency in deference to Target size is where the real storytelling is born.
If you buy it and shoot it you will come out ok. If you dump a bunch of money in it, you will have a mediocre rifle that no one wants to buy.

As the Gump says, "That's all I've got to say about that."

I would be taking a good look at something like the Tikka tac 308 in the classifieds for $1275 right now.

I’m not affiliated with the seller. I just know if I was in your position and wanted to do what you want to do I’d be looking for a platform like that. Not saying 308 is the almighty choice for you either but it is certainly capable of anything at the ranges you want and then some

I had one Savage... I wanted to get a "compact" .223 for my kids, and I could get an Axis for cheap.

Definitely wasn't a bad rifle, it shot well, I just wasn't feeling the fit & finish, and the weird Savage idiosyncrasies like pulling the trigger to remove the bolt. I started reading up on them looking to get myself a rifle, and learning about more idiosyncrasies, like heavy bolt lift, the different action hole spacings and bolt releases and all... and decided to pass.

I ended up with a Tikka, and ended up selling the Axis (luckily I bought very well and got my money back out of it) and getting the kids a T/C Venture when Cabela's was clearing them out for about the same price. Both weren't much more $ than an equivalent Savage, and both are IMO much nicer rifles. Like, to the point that by the time you fixed a few Savage deficiencies, you've already got more into them. They're like buying a beat up old little trailer to me, by the time you fix them up into what you want, you could've just as well bought that new.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
I don't try to educate any more brother. At my age with my ailments my time is too valuable.
However.

To the OP:
Savage and Precision are two words that should never be used together. That said it doesn't take a precision rifle to make "hits" at 700yds. Consistency in deference to Target size is where the real storytelling is born.
If you buy it and shoot it you will come out ok. If you dump a bunch of money in it, you will have a mediocre rifle that no one wants to buy.

As the Gump says, "That's all I've got to say about that."
Your just a savage hater. Go spread that shit elsewhere if you have no admiration for a fine action.
Oh, sorry you are old and oughtta time.

You sir, are a knave and an upstart!
I have suspicion you are a whippersnapper as well.
?
Oh indeed sir, I have been known to snap the whip. Damn, this would be more fun if you were some cherry ass spewing unkown truths. But alas, maybe next time.?

You have the right answer(s) in this thread. They shoot, they may not be the best ejection, aftermarket is limited, the cycling the bolt is rough, and buyers remorse after you upgrade the chassis is possible.

What I like: 1) you can order factory replacement barrels from Northland in Shilen or Criterion and put them on in about 20 minutes, all while setting the headspace to what you want (can run it anywhere in the go/no-go that you choose), 2) you don't have to hunt for your brass assuming the ejector works - will only be about 18" from the action, 3) they shoot.

What I don't like: 1) the bolt is always going to be sloppy, and 2) triggers are utility, where I am picky.

Other: the accutrigger is decent supplement for a 2 stage - you know where to stop before it is going to break but it takes some getting use to. The open trigger design is good in that you can clean it out easy, but bad because it is exposed to every frigging piece of flying dust. The bolts are a pain to strip the pin from.

We have 5 Savage's in the house. All shoot, 1 has some reasonable upgrades, the other is is a full build except the action and trigger. The second one hurts a bit since the action (from a 10 BA Stealth) will never be worthy of everything that surrounds it. I have as much in that 10 BA as my Deviant build (Deviant is about the same price as a new 10 BA Stealth).

Savage isn't the only Prefit setup. You can do the same thing with Remington, Tikka, and any of the custom actions. Some even start with Savage threads.

Weak ejection isn't a perk. It flat sucks at the beginning and gets worse as the rifle gets used.

All Savage triggers are shit. It's a terrible design, and an Accutrigger does not supplement a 2 stage in any way. They wear out, and constantly change pull weight as well.

Yes, Savage rifles shoot (most of the time), but there are far more downsides to them that outweigh accuracy. Besides what was already mentioned, scope bases constantly come loose no matter who's base or screws you use, and heavy bolt lift are also huge reasons not to own Savage.

A Remington is better in every way than a Savage.

What's a knave?

Oh.. wait... the only one I understood was neer-do-well. That's that Fairfax Co. VA education vs. the Coalfields.....

knave
/nāv/
noun
archaic
noun: knave; plural noun: knaves
  1. a dishonest or unscrupulous man.
    synonyms:scoundrel, rogue, villain, rascal, good-for-nothing, wretch, ne'er-do-well, unprincipled person, reprobate, scapegrace, wrongdoer, evil-doer, charlatan, cheat, swindler, fraudster; More
    informalswine, louse, hound, cur, rat, scumbag, wrong'un, bastard, beast, son of a bitch, SOB, skunk, nasty piece of work, ratbag;
    i
    • another term for jack1 in cards.

• Haha
Reactions: armorpl8chikn
wow Thanks for all the replies. That’s a wealth of information to digest. I know a good amount about hunting, night vision, thermal and guns in general, but this long range precision stuff is in a class of its own. Thanks for all the responses.
I originally was leaning towards the savage bc it seems to work well and shoot accurately out of the box. However, I am the type that will likely start upgrading as I learn and time goes on.
I’ll start trying to dumb down these replies more to my level and any other tips/suggestions that come in for something else that does well out of the box and is more customizable/upgradable.

wow Thanks for all the replies. That’s a wealth of information to digest. I know a good amount about hunting, night vision, thermal and guns in general, but this long range precision stuff is in a class of its own. Thanks for all the responses.
I originally was leaning towards the savage bc it seems to work well and shoot accurately out of the box. However, I am the type that will likely start upgrading as I learn and time goes on.
I’ll start trying to dumb down these replies more to my level and any other tips/suggestions that come in for something else that does well out of the box and is more customizable/upgradable.
Yes, the long-range stuff is indeed a rabbit hole that, if it pulls you in, will give you immense pleasure - or pain - and leave a red-hot smoking hole where your wallet used to to be.

Like you, I'm the type that upgrades and tinkers as I learn more. I've been shooting for 59 of my 66 years. I reached AAA classification in all four "guns" of American skeet 20+ years ago, and bought/sold three expensive over/under shotguns before I finally spent the big bucks on the tournament gun I would have bought the first time around had I kown where the competition bug would lead.

But I didn't learn. I went through the same thing with rifles - and optics. I bought three different scopes just for the AR-15 I started with. I bought a second-focal-plane scope for my CZ-455 .22 that I convinced myself would work for competition (and it was $100 cheaper than the very popular first-focal-plane variant) - and discovered in my first out-to-300-yards match that I screwed up, and now I have a very nice scope that isn't worth half what I paid for it.

Learning more and buying more equipment is part and parcel of the pain/pleasure cycle. Even if you spend $5000-6000 or even more for a top-rung rifle, at this point in your visit to wonderland you don't know what's out there and what you'll like as you gain experience. My first precision bolt gun, as I said earlier, was a Tikka T3X TAC A1. The rifle was superbly accurate with factory ammo, and I liked the factory 2-stage trigger and chassis. But then I shot a buddy's MPA-chassis'ed rifle with a very light single-stage trigger and heavier-profile barrel. I loved it, and within a month I had bought essentially that same rifle slightly used from a friend who was similarly moving to something new. I sold my Tikka for $500 less than I paid for it. Taking into account the barrel was half-used-up, I spent about $200-300 to use that rifle for almost a year and a half.

About barrels. You'll get into "what caliber." You're looking at a .308, which has a tremendous amount going for it, not the least of which is a long (5000+ rounds) barrel life. But it's ballistically inferior to the 6mm and 6.5mm rounds out at 700 yards and beyond at the expense of barrel life.

Optics. Whatever you do with the rifle, the scope is portable. Do Not skimp on glass like I did early on. All the $1200-2500 and up scopes are pretty doggone good (these words might get me flamed), so it's a reasonable approach to buy a scope based on the reticle reticle you like, not on a specific vendor. The major players - read about them! - all have lifetime warranties even on used scopes, so buying used is a good way to save $$. In this game, first-focal-plane is king for good reason. Also, if you check out the vendors section of the forum home page, you'll learn about sales and such. Please Note: It is to your financial benefit to CALL - on the telephone - the Hide's sponsoring vendors for best price!

Anyway. If yu buy good equipment, you should be able to sell it without too much loss - especially if you buy used to start with. There's a mountain of great info here on the Hide, and lots of strongly-worded opinion. You're here to learn for YOUR benefit. Try not to get swayed by what the cool kids use or the loud kids squall about.

Welcome to wonderland.

In my savage experience... you will really enjoy your savage for a time, but then it will leave you wanting in one way or another. For me it was the stock options, and starting to look at upgrading action parts. As soon as I thought about spending on these parts I decided an aftermarket action was a better choice. That's where I find myself now...

Out of 5 savages I've been around, that's a very small "s" for a reason BTW, only one shot above average for a factory rifle. It fed and ejected well too, count me impressed because it was the only one.

The trap is it's very likely that one you buy will need some kind of attention, that means spending more $ on it.

Lesson #1 is don't dump $ into a savage unless you absolutely will keep it.

That $ is better spent on other action platforms from the start. The action is the foundation every thing is attached to and once you have a good action you are set.

I would be taking a good look at something like the Tikka tac 308 in the classifieds for $1275 right now.

I’m not affiliated with the seller. I just know if I was in your position and wanted to do what you want to do I’d be looking for a platform like that. Not saying 308 is the almighty choice for you either but it is certainly capable of anything at the ranges you want and then some

Agreed....I just purchased the exact same rifle new for $1700. It still comes with 3 magazines as well, which go for nearly $100 each.

The 308 will keep pace past 700 if the wind is not blowing too hard. Shot next to several the last few days that did just fine against the 6.5's out to 1425.

Even a boxed rem 700 will eventually have you wanting a different action at some point. The difference being pretty much everything you surround the factory action with will work with a clone action.

I used to think that to get to 1,000 yards a 308 would really struggle. But with the right combo they do good. Lots of the FTR guys in fclass smoke the open category with 308’s.

I used a 308 for many years. Since went to the 260 pictured above. Have shot that rifle to 1,792 yards with decent results

I started with a Savage. I still shoot it. I spent around $1100 to build a $250 Cabela's special into a comp gun. I did a bunch of stuff to it to fix the bolt lift and added dual ejectors to fix the shit ejection. It is now reliable, but still weak. The scope base came loose one time. After that I glued it to the gun with Devon. I learned the trick from an old boy that glued a scope base to a 16 gauge Ithica with no holes drilled in the receiver. He used it for a slug gun and the bases have remained solid for 30+ years. I figure if it can withstand the recoil from a 16 gauge slug it with easily hold up on a 6mm comp gun. I now do this to all of my actions. It might be a bitch to remove later, but I haven't had one move yet.

All that to say it is possible to build a comp gun on a Savage action. The year after I built that gun the rpr came out and then a bunch of other budget guns. Prefit barrels became all the rage and now you can get them for most of the popular factory actions. If I were going to do it again, and I was building on a factory action to keep, I would put a Criterion prefit on a Howa or Tikka. If I wanted to build for cheap now and knew I would upgrade the action later I would build on a Remington 700. Every chassis, trigger, etc that you purchase is then likely to be compatible with a 700 clone custom action.

When I upgrade, I'm going to use a 700 clone that accepts Savage prefit barrels, so at least I can use the barrels I have laying around. Beyond that, none of the Savage stuff I have will work with any of the custom actions, and it's hard to sell. My plan is to keep it as a back up.

Reactions: demolitionman
The OP's intended uses for the rifle will not be held back by a Savage. There will be a number of factory match ammo that will get you below an inch at 100. There aren't many rifles that come with aics mags a scope rail and some form of an adjustable stock for the $700ish they ask for the savage tac. Also the accutrigger is completely serviceable.

I don’t think anyone is denying the Savage wouldn’t serve its purpose. OP did say he was open to suggestions so that is what we’re giving him.

As I stated I’m a savage fan. I think they shoot good for what they are priced at. They do incorporate some nice upgrades. They do have flaws tho. I’ve replaced detent balls in my Bolt Head to make the rifle extract rounds, I’ve got barrels from Savage that would throw the first round or two then group. But would be still within their specs.

I was in the introduction to long range boat years ago as I’m sure many on here can say the same. So we’re suggesting getting a platform that starts off better than the Savage to plan for future needs/wants. There’s HMR’s/Tikka etc that I think would give a better platform to start with.

Again tho, the Savage isn’t bad and if you enjoy tinkering with rifles it will serve you fine

This is coming from a guy that at one point owned nothing but Savages and still owns and shoots several of them

I totally agree with what you're saying, and can't argue that a Tikka is among the best factory rifles out there. I just don't see anything wrong with the savage if the only intended purpose will be as stated and there will never be anything spent on the rifle besides ammo and barrels.

I totally agree with what you're saying, and can't argue that a Tikka is among the best factory rifles out there. I just don't see anything wrong with the savage if the only intended purpose will be as stated and there will never be anything spent on the rifle besides ammo and barrels.

The bolt is the problem for his intended purpose. When hunting hogs, any follow-up shots need to be immediate (I would rather use an AR-10 then a bolt gun). That hog is going to be out of site or require significant scope adjustment if the bolt causes any issues, which he should assume it will since throwing the bolt under pressure is when people mess up and put outward pressure on them.

I have a few and they all shoot very good once the barrel was replaced. But Savage killed me with that cheap ass plastic bottom bolt release. That is unforgivable and tells me they are not interested in our market niche. If somebody could please machine an aluminum part.

So you're saying that you would be embarrassed of a Savage or is the truth more like you were embarrassed by a Savage at the last comp you shot. It's gotta suck when you have $3,000-$6,000 in your rig and a guy with a $400 Savage beats your ass.
Its the shooter not the arrow. A good shooter is gonna kick a lot of people asses with inferior gear. We can agree on that. I’ve only shot 3 prs style matches. I’ve shot seasons of long range steel matches that are mostly prone shooting. I’ve got a 65x47 savage, 65 creed savage, 22/250 savage .308 savage.... I built them up years before I realized there were other systems setup similar but much more refined. They all wear matching 750$ chassis. If i knew then what I know now, I’d have put my money towards a bighorn or two and have a few extra bolt heads and barrels in the safe. I m a middle of the pack shooter....with my savages. Savage served me Well but I have learned to really baby the actions when feeding them. Seems to always be one or two times a match these actions will skip right over magazine loaded rounds, or strip them only to jam the bullet into the top of the barre lug etc etc. like I said. I’ve learned to work with their quirks and I know they can be insanely accurate. But just wish I had s mentour in my beginnings to warn me of savage. I could have buily one hella nice bighorn and been done.

Last edited:
I've got a variant of what he's asking about, the 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 Creedmoor. The action is smooth, though the bolt is a bit wobbly when racking it (not while racking it, but at extension, out of battery, I guess). I think that's due to the design, but I'm not schooled up enough to say. I was really impressed with the Barret Fieldcraft and the Tikka actions. It took a few hundred rounds to really settle the Savage in but a lot of that was me learning to shoot, as well. I've got about 1300 rounds through this gun now, and a couple hundred in one before it, so take this for what it's worth. The AICS mag compatibility is nice. I had extraction issues with the first gen of this gun, and sent it back with some other stuff I wasn't thrilled with. Some of it turned out to be nothing or my fault. They swapped me for this gun and I haven't had any issues. Feeding is good. Ejection is great. I've added an arca rail to the stock using the two sling swivel stud mounting holes and drilling and tapping a third hole. Accuracy is about 3/4" 5 shot groups with Hornady American Gunner, and I've shot 1/2 moa with American Eagle 120's at 300 yards. Handloads are down to 3/8" 5 shot groups. I'd like to get a chassis but that's really just gear lust. I don't have a need for one right now, except to maybe have a sling qd a little more easily located on the fore end. I can hit 1340 pretty much on demand, the 1560 target is surrounded by granite and I've not been able to self spot the splash to see where I'm missing. Same with the mile. The one shot I did catch was about a foot off the steel, so, should get it next time. I can keep up with the AI's and MPA's and stuff in classes, but I also know we're in a class, and the other guys aren't exactly surgeons with scalpels. Nor am I obviously, but knowing that I'm capable of performing where I'm at so far, I'm happy with the savage, and for the $700 I paid for it, and another $75 or whatever I paid for the Arca rail, I'm good. It came with a pic rail, though I did replace that with a 30moa variant. I'll probably put another barrel on when I shoot this out, spend a few hundred, five hundred, get something nice. I want to do a semi custom build for my next rifle, but since I've got a 6.5CM that shoots so well, do I want to bother getting another 6.5? Go 7SAUM? 300PRC? so many choices....so for now I'll just keep investing in reloading components and get trained up and have fun with what I'm shooting.

"I hear and acknowledge your concerns" lol but I think this current gen, the 110 Tactical Desert and Desert, among other models I'm sure, addresses a lot of the complaints I've read here. The action is smooth, they use AICS mags (other current models do not), The top/side bolt release is metal, the Accutrigger is smooth and crisp, the aluminum spined and pillared stock is decent, and it shoots groups.

I DO see something like the SH APO rifle being a good buy. If I price out what I'd like to do as a semi custom with a Triggertech, a chassis, even "just" an APR G2 or something trued, and a decent barrel, it's a fabulous bargain. But it's also 3x what the 110 Tactical will run someone. Different applications and different budgets, right?

Reactions: reloaderron
"I hear and acknowledge your concerns" lol but I think this current gen, the 110 Tactical Desert and Desert, among other models I'm sure, addresses a lot of the complaints I've read here. The action is smooth, they use AICS mags (other current models do not), The top/side bolt release is metal, the Accutrigger is smooth and crisp, the aluminum spined and pillared stock is decent, and it shoots groups.

Give it another 3000-4000 rounds and that action will start to go down hill as the groove (lower RT) for the front baffle and the baffle itself wear ever so slightly. It will still run well when clean or are taking your time with the bolt, but it will change enough. I agree on the trigger they put in the newer class of rifle - trigger is still consistent, just don't back the pull all the way down or you end up tripping the built-in safety if you bump the shoe before getting the release back.

There really isn't anything wrong with a savage for hunting. That said rapid bolt manipulation is really the downfall of this and a number of other actions. That said you own it so run it until YOU notice its holding you back. At that point sell it for the $400 or so you can get for it and you will also be more ready to know what you do and do not want in your next rifle.

Give it another 3000-4000 rounds and that action will start to go down hill as the groove (lower RT) for the front baffle and the baffle itself wear ever so slightly. It will still run well when clean or are taking your time with the bolt, but it will change enough. I agree on the trigger they put in the newer class of rifle - trigger is still consistent, just don't back the pull all the way down or you end up tripping the built-in safety if you bump the shoe before getting the release back.
RIght on, great to know now, thanks!

Well once again I appreciate all of the input. And after doing some more reading, researching and coming across this deal, I went with the 20” Ashbury Precision Ordnance Saber M700 Precision Bolt-Action Rifle .308.
$899 plus tax, but doesn’t come with the built in 20 MOA scope rail. I will be adding a muzzle break that will fit one of my suppressors as well.
Smart purchase or no??

Well once again I appreciate all of the input. And after doing some more reading, researching and coming across this deal, I went with the 20” Ashbury Precision Ordnance Saber M700 Precision Bolt-Action Rifle .308.
$899 plus tax, but doesn’t come with the built in 20 MOA scope rail. I will be adding a muzzle break that will fit one of my suppressors as well.
Smart purchase or no??
I think you did well.

Savage actions are pretty capable but have limitations and weaknesses which is the reason I finally left the savage realm.

Good deal. Get a Nightforce 20MOA base and a scope of your choice and you're set. I also have a Razor 2 3-18, it's a great optic.

Oh been a while since i been on this forum. Glad to see the tactical elites are still holding strong. LoL Cant wait to recieve my 110 and get to learning how it shoots.

Reactions: wbm