• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 Timberline Bolt Inspection

G1Grandeur

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2023
USA
Just purchased first bolt action rifle, during inspection bolt look fairy dirty and metal surface is slightly pitted? was expecting smooth finish.

I know it's not a high end rifle, but I just want to make sure it's normal for savage.
20230819_002125.jpg
20230819_002053.jpg
20230819_002031.jpg

Savage shoots their rifles prior to sale and does not clean them prior to boxing. That bolt looks very much like the one that came with my new Model 12 LRPV. Bet the barrel`s dirty too. Bet it shoots, though.

I see, I was more worried about metal surface finish on the bolt being look like pitted.
I don't see any pitting, just not a finely finished bolt.
I have many Savages that look similar and shoot really well.

That...is a Savage bolt, fresh from the factory.

I bought a 110 Timberline in 6.5CM off Gunbroker for $750 because that's what they started the bidding at and nobody else bid on it.

Trying to save quality components (2020 crunch), I broke it in with an arbitrary 20 rounds of 120gr Nosler BT over mid-weight charges of IMR-4895.

2nd fastest load development ever for me. Shots 7-9 went in under a half minute. Verification groups were in the .4s, and then I finished with a 1.5" group at 300. The 129gr SST over H100V isn't far behind either...and they share the same zero.

It feeds like crap, but otherwise is a hard one to beat.

Clean it, lube it, shoot it.

I bought a 110 Timberline in 6.5CM off Gunbroker for $750 because that's what they started the bidding at and nobody else bid on it.

Trying to save quality components (2020 crunch), I broke it in with an arbitrary 20 rounds of 120gr Nosler BT over mid-weight charges of IMR-4895.

2nd fastest load development ever for me. Shots 7-9 went in under a half minute. Verification groups were in the .4s, and then I finished with a 1.5" group at 300. The 129gr SST over H100V isn't far behind either...and they share the same zero.

I started out having some occasional failure to feed from the magazine when I first got my 110 in .223. Bolt wouldn`t catch the round at times when I shoved it forward. Issue solved when I began firmly seating the mag into the well with the bolt open. Also found that things improved (smoother) by moving the bolt forward with the bolt handle at the top of its throw. No failures in many moons with multiple mags.

I started out having some occasional failure to feed from the magazine when I first got my 110 in .223. Bolt wouldn`t catch the round at times when I shoved it forward. Issue solved when I began firmly seating the mag into the well with the bolt open. Also found that things improved (smoother) by moving the bolt forward with the bolt handle at the top of its throw. No failures in many moons with multiple mags.

I started having the occasional failure to feed when I bought a Savage.

Yeah, the mag occasionally doesn't want to seat fully either...at least I don't have the extraction issues.

I started having the occasional failure to feed when I bought a Savage.

Yeah, the mag occasionally doesn't want to seat fully either...at least I don't have the extraction issues.
I`ve never had a single extraction/ejection issue with any of my 3 Savage rifles.

I agree, that bolt doesn't look like a bolt from a rifle that was just test fired at the factory.
I also agree that Savage factory magazines need to be adjusted like AICS magazines and also need to be firmly seated to function correctly.
That's why I jumped on the Impulse Predator model that uses AICS magazines.

SJC

Reactions: diggler1833
If you are going to use a Savage rifle from the bench the best modification is to replace the bolt handle with the longer tactical handle.
They are around $30 from MidwayUSA.
Every one of mine has the tactical handle.
Here are a couple.

I agree, that bolt doesn't look like a bolt from a rifle that was just test fired at the factory.

SJC

it matches the # on rifle, but barrel was clean. after cleaning it look bit better. but that slight pitted area was what bothering me.

yes, I will upgrade handle for sure, it's tiny.

If you are going to use a Savage rifle from the bench the best modification is to replace the bolt handle with the longer tactical handle.
They are around $30 from MidwayUSA.
Every one of mine has the tactical handle.
Here are a couple.

Agree. Even a larger bolt handle knob can help by providing more leverage.