• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Savage 110 Trail Hunter

rdramsey8

Private
Minuteman
Dec 14, 2017
I just ordered a Savage 110 Trail Hunter in 308 Win. I’ve never owned a Savage before, but am optimistic about this rifle. I was looking for a few things and I think this rifle hits the mark.

1. Cerakote finish

2. Heavy enough barrel to practice with at the range, but still be reasonable to carry in the field

3. Availability of aftermarket accessories barrel upgrades, stocks, etc…

4. AICS mag option

5. A caliber option that’s affordable to practice with

I realize that Savage is certainly not the top end in the world of precision rifles, but I was looking for a reliable hunting rifle that I could count on when the time comes and be affordable to practice with. Anyone have one of these or seen one in person? Think I can expect sub MOA performance out of this rifle? Any stock suggestions? I have a Magpul Hunter on my Kidd 10/22 and was thinking of getting the Magpul stock for this rifle to be consistent with my trainer. Any opinions would be appreciated!

Regarding sub-MOA performance - That'll be depedent on how well the whole system is assembled/torqued and the ammunition... and the answer is still "Maybe, over how many rounds, how consistently?" I'd start with Federal Gold Medal Match, try the 168 and the 175. If you have an inch-pound torque wrench, I'd pull/inspect/degrease/re-torque every single fastener on that thing before starting.

Regarding a stock replacement - I'd recommend the Grayboe Phoenix 2, which can be had in Savage 110 inlets for models that take AICS magazines, so ideally, you can re-use the magazine catch hardware ("Bottom metal", which is likely polymer in your case, but that's the industry term) and gain a whole ton of ergonomic and rigidity upgrades. They have at least this one in the "Ready to Ship" section: https://www.grayboe.com/collections...cs-mags-fits-any-barrel-painted-woodland-camo

Another great option is the KRG Bravo, which is now made for select Savage actions. The 110 Trail Hunter appears compatible. It's quite a bit heavier than the Grayboe Phoenix 2 but its a beloved option for the Remington 700/clones and is hundreds cheaper. Also comes with it's own magazine catch so there's one less possible incompatibility for you. https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

Regarding sub-MOA performance - That'll be depedent on how well the whole system is assembled/torqued and the ammunition... and the answer is still "Maybe, over how many rounds, how consistently?" I'd start with Federal Gold Medal Match, try the 168 and the 175. If you have an inch-pound torque wrench, I'd pull/inspect/degrease/re-torque every single fastener on that thing before starting.

Regarding a stock replacement - I'd recommend the Grayboe Phoenix 2, which can be had in Savage 110 inlets for models that take AICS magazines, so ideally, you can re-use the magazine catch hardware ("Bottom metal", which is likely polymer in your case, but that's the industry term) and gain a whole ton of ergonomic and rigidity upgrades. They have at least this one in the "Ready to Ship" section: https://www.grayboe.com/collections...cs-mags-fits-any-barrel-painted-woodland-camo

Another great option is the KRG Bravo, which is now made for select Savage actions. The 110 Trail Hunter appears compatible. It's quite a bit heavier than the Grayboe Phoenix 2 but its a beloved option for the Remington 700/clones and is hundreds cheaper. Also comes with it's own magazine catch so there's one less possible incompatibility for you. https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/
Thanks for the suggestion on the Grayboe stock, I wasn’t familiar with them but their products look great. Fortunately the bottom metal is in fact metal on this rifle.

With the medium heavy barrel profile I’m hoping it’ll stay more accurate/consistent than a lightweight barrel, while being a little more ccarryable than a heavy barrel.

We’ll see, the rifle should be here next week. I’ll throw a SWFA 10x42 that I already have on it and hit the range.

I got the rifle and mounted the SWFA 10x42. The hogue stock is garbage, rigidity is best compared to a partially cooked noodle, but I have a Magpul hunter stock in OD green on the way. I may eventually get a nicer stock, but the Magpul will suit my needs for summer range time/the upcoming hunting season. Other than the stock, it’s a pretty decent rifle for $513. The Cerakote finish is nice, I’m happy with the medium heavy barrel profile, and the threads look good on the barrel (still waiting on the suppressor, hopefully wait times are faster than they were the last time I bought one). I’m prepared to do the extractor kit and a timney trigger if needed after I shoot it and see how it performs. If it will consistently shoot sub MOA, I’ll feel good about the purchase and the few upgrades. I won’t shoot it until the Magpul stock shows up, the Hogue will just piss me off and make me feel like I’m just wasting ammo.

IMG_8789.jpeg

I got the rifle and mounted the SWFA 10x42. The hogue stock is garbage, rigidity is best compared to a partially cooked noodle, but I have a Magpul hunter stock in OD green on the way. I may eventually get a nicer stock, but the Magpul will suit my needs for summer range time/the upcoming hunting season. Other than the stock, it’s a pretty decent rifle for $513. The Cerakote finish is nice, I’m happy with the medium heavy barrel profile, and the threads look good on the barrel (still waiting on the suppressor, hopefully wait times are faster than they were the last time I bought one). I’m prepared to do the extractor kit and a timney trigger if needed after I shoot it and see how it performs. If it will consistently shoot sub MOA, I’ll feel good about the purchase and the few upgrades. I won’t shoot it until the Magpul stock shows up, the Hogue will just piss me off and make me feel like I’m just wasting ammo.

View attachment 8430453
It would be a good test to sight the rifle in at 100 yards and see if the rifle POI shifts or accuracy actually improves with the stock swap.
I like that cerakote color.

Reactions: Rocketvapor
I just ordered a Savage 110 Trail Hunter in 308 Win. I’ve never owned a Savage before, but am optimistic about this rifle. I was looking for a few things and I think this rifle hits the mark.

1. Cerakote finish

2. Heavy enough barrel to practice with at the range, but still be reasonable to carry in the field

3. Availability of aftermarket accessories barrel upgrades, stocks, etc…

4. AICS mag option

5. A caliber option that’s affordable to practice with

I realize that Savage is certainly not the top end in the world of precision rifles, but I was looking for a reliable hunting rifle that I could count on when the time comes and be affordable to practice with. Anyone have one of these or seen one in person? Think I can expect sub MOA performance out of this rifle? Any stock suggestions? I have a Magpul Hunter on my Kidd 10/22 and was thinking of getting the Magpul stock for this rifle to be consistent with my trainer. Any opinions would be appreciated!
I still own a Savage 110 Tactical in .308. No complaints. As far as the sub MOA performance, a lot of that will be up to you. Most Savage 110's I've seen were tack drivers with the right ammo.

Reactions: 2c1fr
It would be a good test to sight the rifle in at 100 yards and see if the rifle POI shifts or accuracy actually improves with the stock swap.
I like that cerakote color.
Honestly this stock sucks so hard, it makes me upset just holding it. I’ll have it swapped the minute the Magpul stock shows up. It’s so flexible the stock makes contact with the barrels just handling it.

The tungsten Cerakote on the barrel and action is awesome and was one of the top reasons I bout the rifle!

I still own a Savage 110 Tactical in .308. No complaints. As far as the sub MOA performance, a lot of that will be up to you. Most Savage 110's I've seen were tack drivers with the right ammo.
This is why I went with the Savage, they have a reputation for being decent shooters out of the box. I went with 308 Win because of the affordability and availability of ammo. I’ve been shooting my Kidd barreled 10/22 a couple times a week hoping to develop my skills as a shooter. I used to shoot a ton, but fell out of it 7/8 years ago. I’ll probably stick with shooting rimfire twice a week and shooting this rifle once a week. If it groups well, I think I might pick up the same rifle in 300 Win Mag for longer distances/bigger animals. I’ve had a lot of fun getting range time in again and really looking forward to getting this rifle out.

Most Salvages tend to shoot pretty well for what they are. I do not think youd have too much difficulty shooting MOA with the right ammo.

The majority of the issues are in feeding and extraction. Savage has a well-earned reputation on reliable cycling (or lack thereof).

I still have a 110 Timberland that I got for my F-I-L to use hunting. It is exceptionally accurate, but does have a .2mil cold bore shift (it is zeroed for the CBS). It also hangs up about 20% of the time when you're trying to cycle the bolt with any authority.

Most Salvages tend to shoot pretty well for what they are. I do not think youd have too much difficulty shooting MOA with the right ammo.

The majority of the issues are in feeding and extraction. Savage has a well-earned reputation on reliable cycling (or lack thereof).

I still have a 110 Timberland that I got for my F-I-L to use hunting. It is exceptionally accurate, but does have a .2mil cold bore shift (it is zeroed for the CBS). It also hangs up about 20% of the time when you're trying to cycle the bolt with any authority.
Have you tried an aftermarket extractor kit? I was planning to run it as is and see if issues arise with extraction, if so I’ve heard the extractor kits available will fix it. Considering they’re less than $30, that was my failsafe.

Cycle the bolt with any authority?
The hang up is likely the sear falling to the safety blade.
SHIM THE TRIGGER.
Extraction is usually problems with short calibers, 308 should be OK.

Once you see how it shoots, you might consider getting the small parts (GunShack?) to convert to the old style adjustable firing pin.

Have you tried an aftermarket extractor kit? I was planning to run it as is and see if issues arise with extraction, if so I’ve heard the extractor kits available will fix it. Considering they’re less than $30, that was my failsafe.

Extraction on mine is actually good. Mine sucks on both seating the magazine, and then the feed lips need adjusted because the rounds want to nose dive. I'll worry about it when my F-I-L is done using it. Right now it sees about 10 rounds a year.

Cycle the bolt with any authority?
The hang up is likely the sear falling to the safety blade.
SHIM THE TRIGGER.
Extraction is usually problems with short calibers, 308 should be OK.

Once you see how it shoots, you might consider getting the small parts (GunShack?) to convert to the old style adjustable firing pin.

Sorry, should have said I get a missfeed. no trigger issue.

Definitely don't want to sidetrack this thread. That rifle is way down there on my list of long guns to shoot at the moment. It's accurate though, just has some irritating quirks.

Reactions: Rocketvapor