• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 ultralite action

Josebd

Private
Minuteman
Nov 7, 2020
Texas
I have a Douglas small shank barrel I had on a savage 10 action,that shot really well,no problems at all,then I put it on the Savage ultralite 110 action,still shoots good,bolt lift is good,but very hard to pull bolt back to extract brass,brass has some marks close to base.
I head spaced the barrel just like any other barrel,took barrel back off,redone the headspace,still the same??
i dont understand why its doing this,I looked in the chamber,looks clean,no burrs

Headspace has nothing to do with diameters or extraction.

Edit: headspace has nothing to do with extraction so long as it isn’t so egregiously out of spec that it lets the case slide forward ahead of the extractor.

The problem is savages have notoriously poor extraction.

IMG_0907.jpeg
IMG_0908.jpeg
IMG_0909.jpeg
IMG_0910.jpeg

Headspace has nothing to do with diameters or extraction.

Edit: headspace has nothing to do with extraction so long as it isn’t so egregiously out of spec that it lets the case slide forward ahead of the extractor.

The problem is savages have notoriously poor extraction.
Indeed, and to the OP, have you installed the commonly used extractor/ejector kit with the larger ball bearing in the extractor? I`ve personally not had the need for one but I got a spare anyway. That`s the best way to ensure that an original part will never go bad!

Indeed, and to the OP, have you installed the commonly used extractor/ejector kit with the larger ball bearing in the extractor? I`ve personally not had the need for one but I got a spare anyway. That`s the best way to ensure that an original part will never go bad!
I might need that sir

If you put the feeler gauges in front of that baffle, PE is really good.
I've often thought about adding a couple of set screws to the baffle that touch against the rear of the receiver. It would make for adjustable PE.

Some have been known to take a little off the back of the bolt body to fix PE.

Changing bolt handles will sometimes fix it, same as changing the baffle.

Lots of ways to skin that cat.

Reactions: Josebd
Another thing you might consider is to post your issue on Savageshooters.com. It`s a very helpful site with things involving Savage guns.

Reactions: Josebd
Which lift kit would be the best one to get?
Desh Industries for a lift kit. They have a web site. I did not need a lift kit for my 110, but I did put a larger bolt handle knob to give more leverage. A longer ( tactical ) bolt handle is also an option. Google is your friend! There are any number of them.

Desh Industries for a lift kit. They have a web site. I did not need a lift kit for my 110, but I did put a larger bolt handle knob to give more leverage. A longer ( tactical ) bolt handle is also an option. Google is your friend! There are any number of them.
I use google a lot, just seeing if anybody had better luck than someone else kit

So with the bolt lift kit it does what the feeler gauge basically does, helps engage it?

The lack of a lift kit is not causing the marks on your brass. Pull the barrel off, check carefully inside the chamber for a burr, or even a piece of grit.
I once had a bullet pull out as I was extracting an unfired round. A few granules of powder adhered to the chamber walls, nearest the bolt face. It caused heavy bolt lift and scratches on the brass.