• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110 upgrade issues

Dad28993

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2021
Clayton, NJ
Help please! First post. I’m trying to upgrade this to a modern version. This savage 110 long action in 30-06 is basic older model with the ejector mounted on the internal magazine. And the bolt face goes part way into the chamber. Flat rear rounded front receiver, It was my late father in-laws hunting rifle. The guys at the range tell me I’ll need a new barrel and possibly a bolt for this. So I found a barrel with go and no go gauges and barrel nut wrench and a bolt- the face. Bought the face and internals. Found a archangel stock and extra magazines for it. And a scope 12-60X60 35mm tube now the question is am I going about this the right way? Am I missing anything? Or should I just go buy a new rifle from cabalas? And skip the trouble?
Thank you all
Russ

Is there something wrong with it now?
Well not really. When I went to install it in the new stock, I noticed how the bolt face and the ejector were totally different from what I’m used to seeing. That’s when I had a brain fart. Went on the buying spree first was the new bolt face and internals, realized the cartridge would expand and most likely get stuck in the chamber. Went looking for a newer barrel. Found this site and looking for advice before I dig myself deeper than I need to. Your thoughts would be appreciated, put this one back together and go buy another savage I mean some are under 900.00 and put in the new stock.

So your bolt has the bolt nose like a Rem. 700 does.

1620670585121.png

If so that Savage 110 was made prior to 1966. If I remember correctly 1966 is when they made the change to the flat bolt nose.

I'd put it back together and leave it. If you want a new barrel on it...your going to have to have one made for it and installed by a gun smith.

Trying to rework/make the one you got fit.....might work and it might not. Might ending up costing you more money and time to make it try and work.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

So your bolt has the bolt nose like a Rem. 700 does.

View attachment 7622190

If so that Savage 110 was made prior to 1966. If I remember correctly 1966 is when they made the change to the flat bolt nose.

I'd put it back together and leave it. If you want a new barrel on it...your going to have to have one made for it and installed by a gun smith.

Trying to rework/make the one you got fit.....might work and it might not. Might ending up costing you more money and time to make it try and work.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Thank you all. Y’all saved me money and trouble in the long run. Now my daughter can’t scold me for buying a new rifle!! (Again) Besides they all go to her when it’s my time to checkout and go home😇.
Thank y’all again!
Russ