• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110

Devanzo

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2022
Ohio
I found a savage 110 in 300 win mag that I can get for cheap an I wondered if that’s an easy gun to rebarrel an build off in general or should I get a rem 700 blueprint rifle

I found a savage 110 in 300 win mag that I can get for cheap an I wondered if that’s an easy gun to rebarrel an build off in general or should I get a rem 700 blueprint rifle
I was taking a muzzle brake off a savage that had been out on with Rocksett and when I smacked the wrench with a hammer, it broke the barrel loose from the action

Get the Remington. Unlimited choice in aftermarket parts.

We must have a lot of cavemen on this site then........

Once again there are sub forums for these kind of threads.

You and this new guy must not know how to use technology to find them "you modern human you"

Doc

yes, Savage 110s are easy to rebarrel
so easy in fact there are now barrels for Remington 700's made in the style of Savage barrels so most anyone with a few tools can do it. These barrels for a Rem700 are commonly referred to as "Rem-age" (REMington+savAGE).
these guys carry all you'll need - tools, barrels, and etc to swap

basically you hold the barrel in a vise, loosen the lock nut, then remove the barrel from the action. to swap you'll start the new barrel, put the headpsace guage in place, then tighten the lock nut

Every time I hear the word "Savage" my mind pictures Freddy Mercury saying "You silly savage".
Is it any wonder that I don't even know a person that owns a Savage of any sort ?

Get a criterion barrel, spare extractor, ejector, springs, roll pins, and balls from midway or Brownells.

One of the best shooting rifles I've owned is a factory savage 112 in 22-250 (old one, when the 112 was the bull barrel target variant). It has printed .25" groups at 200 with several hand loads.

However, Savage is the only action where I've had to replace the ejector and extractor because they decided to fly out of the bolt on a prairie dog excursion.

They need a little more care and maintenance than a 700, and unless you delete the safety the trigger will always have some squish before the wall, but they're not horrible guns.

They're not worth buying new when so many other choices are cheaper though.

I can now on my new bench, in my house….. like a modern human.

My garage has 2 key things.

2 fridges...

No wife.

It also has a furnace to keep it exactly the temp I want, my tools and toys, and nobody to touch anything I feel like leaving setup.

Nothing like your wife putting the powder jar back on the shelf before you emptied the thrower, and you can't remember which one it was 3 weeks later. Or even better, throwing the jar away because it was "empty" while your thrower has 1/4lb left in it...

Reactions: Doc68
Get a criterion barrel, spare extractor, ejector, springs, roll pins, and balls from midway or Brownells.

One of the best shooting rifles I've owned is a factory savage 112 in 22-250 (old one, when the 112 was the bull barrel target variant). It has printed .25" groups at 200 with several hand loads.

However, Savage is the only action where I've had to replace the ejector and extractor because they decided to fly out of the bolt on a prairie dog excursion.

They need a little more care and maintenance than a 700, and unless you delete the safety the trigger will always have some squish before the wall, but they're not horrible guns.

They're not worth buying new when so many other choices are cheaper though.
Thanks for the help

yes, Savage 110s are easy to rebarrel
so easy in fact there are now barrels for Remington 700's made in the style of Savage barrels so most anyone with a few tools can do it. These barrels for a Rem700 are commonly referred to as "Rem-age" (REMington+savAGE).
these guys carry all you'll need - tools, barrels, and etc to swap

basically you hold the barrel in a vise, loosen the lock nut, then remove the barrel from the action. to swap you'll start the new barrel, put the headpsace guage in place, then tighten the lock nut
Thanks

Savage 110 actions are provided with generally identical threads; there are exceptions and they relate to actions that are/were originally barreled in WSM chamberings or are the "Target" actions. Those are based on a larger thread diameter.

Just make sure the action and barrel are agreeable according to the barrel maker, and you'll find the process easier than most other brands. It's a phone call that it pays to have.

Doing the rebarreling yourself can save money, but don't cheap out and skip the headspace gauges. Read up and clearly understand the relationship between the various sized gauges, and make sure you're doing that part right, too.

I list the link for EABCO barrel makers. They are not the very best, nor a bad one; but someone in the middle that works and is affordable. There's a lot of info on their site that will help you thread your way through the self-rebarreling process.

I own exactly one aftermarket barrel, it's a 28" Lothar-Walther .260 Rem barrel made to custom specs, and I consider it to be a premium one. It shoots to the best of my marksmanship and handloading ability.

Greg

Reactions: Slash0311
My garage has 2 key things.

2 fridges...

No wife.

It also has a furnace to keep it exactly the temp I want, my tools and toys, and nobody to touch anything I feel like leaving setup.

Nothing like your wife putting the powder jar back on the shelf before you emptied the thrower, and you can't remember which one it was 3 weeks later. Or even better, throwing the jar away because it was "empty" while your thrower has 1/4lb left in it...
Why does your wife touch your stuff?

Why is this thread in the bearpit when there is a whole thread on bolt action rifles. Plus he didn't post nudes of w/gf.

Why does your wife touch your stuff?

You ever try and tell a woman she can't clean something inside the house? She'll do it just to spite you and teach you a lesson.

Hence, heated shop is mine, and she stays out. She's not even allowed to park in there until it's -20* or colder.

• Haha
Reactions: Sniperwannabee
A savage 110 is the Amish hausfrau of the gun world.
She may be ugly, hairy, and smells bad, but if your end goal is to have 15 kids and don't care what they look like, then she's a better choice than the supermodel.