• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110BA 338 Lapua shooting 2500 yards!!

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
Hi guys, a few days ago I took out the Savage 110 BA 338 Lapua and attempted the 2500 yard shot. So I placed the target at 2530 yards or 1.43 miles away, at that distance the bullet flight time is almost 4.5 seconds! Made a short video that I think you guys will enjoy. Thanks for watching!

2500 yard shot! Savage 110BA 338 Lapau

I went out early in the morning to beat the mirage, luckly there was very little wind around 3-4 mph coming from the left, I dialed 2.6 mils Left. I had to dialed the maximum elevation my scope (Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MIL/MIL) had at 27.4 mils then held over 2.5 mils on the reticle to get me to 29.9 mils. The 300 gr Berger bullets with a MV of 2740 fps at 23.34 inHg start to go subsonic at 2400 yards, so I figured some weird stuff might happen.
My first shot was pretty even height wise but was way off to the right, the first 3 shots were sighters to get me on target and then on my 9th shot I hit the target, then had one more hit on my 12th shot. So total of 2 out of 12 shots at 2530 yards.
When I got to the target to my surprise was a sideways hit. My first thought was that it hit the ground and bounced up sideways, but after reviewing the video I can tell it was a direct hit because the bullet splash in the dirt is directed away from the steel and the impact energy on the steel was the same for both hits, I'm sure if it hit the ground first it would have lost most of it's energy. So now I ask has anyone ever seen a 300 gr berger bullet hit sideways??!! Probably due to the sonic wave passing the bullet at 2400 yards, very interesting. The next day I went out to find a couple missed shot bullets and after metal detecting for almost an hour ready to give up I found one!
This was my first time shooting past 2060 yards and 2 out of 12 isn't real great but satisfying, I bet with practice I could get those numbers looking a little better. I really hope you guys enjoy the video, please comment or ask any questions you may have.......and let me know what you think!

Last edited:
Very nicely done and great video! Its great you posted those numbers, I have a 338 Edge shooting the 300 Berger OTMs at 2770 and was thinking they would be going transonic around 2500 or so. That keyhole has me wondering why it didn't do better going transonic, but it got there

Thanks guys the main video cam is a panasonic hc-v100 and the target cam is some off brand hd cam that cost me $10 on ebay because it has a cracked lcd, works great as the target cam and I'm not out much if i hit it.

Video very nicely done and some very nice shooting too! Thanks for sharing.

Good shooting and as usual great video.
I really appreciate your written synopsis of the day as well.

Awesome...wait, I just read this post in the Beyond 1000 forum.

Thanks guys the main video cam is a panasonic hc-v100 and the target cam is some off brand hd cam that cost me $10 on ebay because it has a cracked lcd, works great as the target cam and I'm not out much if i hit it.

Grizzdude
The church bell rang twice! Awesome!
Noticing that you are stretching your 110 BA a bit farther every time, damn good for a $2000 factory savage and you are doing just as good as your rifle. You now have dope for 2530, congrats; that's a long shot, not easy by all means, even in perfect conditions. You also found a way to capture it on video without spending too many $$, even better ;)
About that 300 Berger hitting sideways and leaving a perfect print...and you managed to find the bullet...that's something. I have not seen this before but I will ask my buddy MDslammer to check out your video, as he shoots the same rifle and 300 Berger OTM, also at 2000 +, he may have a comment.
Thanks for sharing, great job and good shooting.

Nice shooting! Any pressure signs at 27xx fps?

Grizzdude
The church bell rang twice! Awesome!
Noticing that you are stretching your 110 BA a bit farther every time, damn good for a $2000 factory savage and you are doing just as good as your rifle. You now have dope for 2530, congrats; that's a long shot, not easy by all means, even in perfect conditions. You also found a way to capture it on video without spending too many $$, even better ;)
About that 300 Berger hitting sideways and leaving a perfect print...and you managed to find the bullet...that's something. I have not seen this before but I will ask my buddy MDslammer to check out your video, as he shoots the same rifle and 300 Berger OTM, also at 2000 +, he may have a comment.
Thanks for sharing, great job and good shooting.
lol Thanks Ombre!
Nice shooting! Any pressure signs at 27xx fps?
No pressure signs at 2740 fps or 90.0gr h-1000. i did start to feel heavy bolt lift around 91gr when doing my load development but I have shot the 90.0gr load in around 95 degree weather and they come out smooth as butter still.

Great video! Is OT normal for the bullet to tumble at those distances?
Thanks for sharing!!

lol Thanks Ombre!

No pressure signs at 2740 fps or 90.0gr h-1000. i did start to feel heavy bolt lift around 91gr when doing my load development but I have shot the 90.0gr load in around 95 degree weather and they come out smooth as butter still.

Weird. I am going to have to double check my magneto speed if you're getting 2740 out of h1000 on a 26" barrel. My rifle is very new, only 30 rounds through it, but i did run a couple rounds of 90gr retumbo charges under the 300 Bergers and only got like 2660, out of a 29" barrel.
Regardless. Very impressive shooting and i can't wait to stretch mine out!

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Weird. I am going to have to double check my magneto speed if you're getting 2740 out of h1000 on a 26" barrel. My rifle is very new, only 30 rounds through it, but i did run a couple rounds of 90gr retumbo charges under the 300 Bergers and only got like 2660, out of a 29" barrel.
Regardless. Very impressive shooting and i can't wait to stretch mine out!

PCR/XLR/TAC338 http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111453_255_zps1b498f0d.jpg http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz53/bodywerks/IMG_20130816_111325_951_zps290ebdd0.jpg

Thanks a lot man, that sounds about right for Retumbo. Don't quote me but I think around 93gr retumbo is equal to 90gr h1000. Not sure if those are the right numbers but that should be pretty close. Now that's a sweet rig man! I'm digging the digi camo job, very nice!