• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 110BA Action question...

Capt Beach

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Virginia Beach Va
OK...so I am thinking of building a very stout Savage Long Range build...Savage does not offer a LA Target Action repeater....BUT IT APPEARS as if it uses a sort of hybrid on the 338LM 110 BA...it looks as if the action is a right port right bolt repeater of sorts...in Savage pics and ones I can find on the interweb (thanks Al Gore)it looks completely different than the LA in the 110BA 300WM and the SA 10BA .308...it also appears to be the same 110BA 338LM style on the 110 FCP HS series

So...does anyone have any close up pics of the 110BA 338LM action to support this (I cant find any) and what is the Savage designation of this action?

This is the closest one I can find although not the best you can see the rounded ends of the ejection port and what appears to be right bolt right port.
savage_model_110_ba-tfb.jpg

I'd love to score one without having to by a whole rifle...if the 110 FCP HS 338LM has the same action that would be the cheaper route than buying a 110BA simply to harvest the action...

My end goal would be to take one of these actions and have it trued and timed as well as having a very high end barrel with its threads trued along with the barrel nut to put an even more robust barreled action into long range service...rifle will be chambered for 300WM, utilize a McMillan Game Scout stock and a Jense Precision ABS carbon wrapped barrel. Suppressor capable.

Think of a quiet mile gun... Grin

Re: Savage 110BA Action question...

Savage uses the same action on their 110FCP-HS, and it comes with 300WM magazines.

99% sure the 110 FCP HS in 300WM is a standard Long Action with Small Shank...a LA repeater...the 110BA AND the 110FCP HS in 338LM have a common action AND IT IS NOT A STANDARD LA

110 FCP HS in 338LM, notice the slight differnece in action, rounded ejection port, this is a RIGHT PORT/RIGHT BOLT Target Style Action
338hs.png

110 FCP HS 300WM with a Standard LA vs the picture above...not the same animal...
30876-DEFAULT-L.jpg

My HS version looks identical to my BR's target action with the exception of length so I believe you are correct. To save more money the LRH in .338 is even cheaper but the fact is you could probably sell the HS Precision stock to someone that ends up not liking the LRH or BA stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CaptBeach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">99% sure the 110 FCP HS in 300WM is a standard Long Action with Small Shank...a LA repeater...the 110BA AND the 110FCP HS in 338LM have a common action AND IT IS NOT A STANDARD LA

110 FCP HS in 338LM, notice the slight differnece in action, rounded ejection port, this is a RIGHT PORT/RIGHT BOLT Target Style Action
338hs.png

110 FCP HS 300WM with a Standard LA vs the picture above...not the same animal...
30876-DEFAULT-L.jpg
</div></div>

I didn't trust the stock photos but I found a photo of the 300WM version on GunBroker and you are correct, it appears to be a run of the mill Savage long action while the pics I have seen of the 338LM version looks like a supersized version of my LRP action.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=285625253

if you're really looking to save a couple extra hundred bucks, the 111 (338LM) appears to have the same action- at least i can't tell a difference when i compare mine to my buddy's 110BA.

Yes, mine is a .338LM, it appears to be large shank as there is a step in diameter just ahead of the barrel nut as well as the threads in the receiver looking recessed as compared to the nominal bore diameter of the receiver. My known small shank Savages look to have the inner diameter of the threads equal to the inner diameter of the receiver.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Linkless</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes, mine is a .338LM, it appears to be large shank as there is a step in diameter just ahead of the barrel nut as well as the threads in the receiver looking recessed as compared to the nominal bore diameter of the receiver. My known small shank Savages look to have the inner diameter of the threads equal to the inner diameter of the receiver. </div></div>

Can you take your calipers and measure the outer diameter of the receiver pls.

Yes, if all goes well I will remember to get this done for you tonight. I'll measure my short action Target action for reference as well.