• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110E 30-06 action build

bwp86

Private
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2018
Trenton, MO
I forgot I had this in the safe. It was my first rifle and hasn’t seen the sun in a lot of years. Is this an action I could rebarrel into something different or am I better off selling it and buying something new? What caliber would be an easy swap if I were to do this?

Attachments

• 2E69AB98-7E7D-4539-BB23-C3F292963260.jpeg
    2E69AB98-7E7D-4539-BB23-C3F292963260.jpeg
    252.2 KB · Views: 168
You could honestly build anything.

The Savage has a replaceable bolt head and different length bolt stop shrouds.
That action has been used to build everything from 223 up to 338 Win Mag and everything in-between.

If you want to stick with your current bolt head:
Anything that uses a .473 case.
BRs, Dasher, GTs, x47s, 22-250, Creedmores, 243, 260, 7-08, 308, 270 Win, 280, 280 AI, 30-06, 35 Whelan.

The list is damn near endless.

Here's my recommendation.
If you reload, buy some 210-215 projectiles like the Berger or even ELDM.
Load them up and try them at distance. You'll be shocked at how well that old assed cartridge does at long distance.
Yeah, it'll kick the snot out of you in that light weight setup, but you'll have a big smile on your face.

Last thing.
If you decide on a total rebuild, it'll cost more than it would if you just spent the money on a completeTikka or Bergara or something like that.
You'll still have a Savage in the end

I have a Tikka t3 that I’ve considered converting to 280ai. That one probably makes more sense. Then just leave this as is and have fun with it. I forgot I even had the rifle…it hasn’t been shot in quite a 15+ years.

The other day, I was shooting my Savage 11O and Kimber Hunter in an alternating manner (5 shots) to allow the barrels more time to cool.

It allowed me to notice how overbuilt the 110 action is. While not as smooth as the Kimber, it is built like a tank.

You can build anything you want.

Reactions: bwp86
How much $$ do you want to spend on it? Just as Mike Casselton says, the possibilities are almost endless.

How much $$ do you want to spend on it? Just as Mike Casselton says, the possibilities are almost endless.
I want to keep it as budget as possible since I don’t plan on shooting it much. My rifles are a 22lr, 223, 6CM, 270(going to 280ai most likely), and the 30-06.

I think leaving it in the current stock or finding a used one is my best bet. Then rebarrel with something I can shoot suppressed with my Omega 36m. A new 30-06 barrel may not be the worst idea.

A new, long throated barrel in .30-06 would be just fine. I’m just throwing this out there too, to complicate things. You could get a magnum bolt face as well and start buying magnum chambered barrels. The possibilities would then be more endlesser…

If it’s not going to be packed all over the backcountry hunting then a long, heavy barrel and a better stock/chassis will help accuracy a lot

A new, long throated barrel in .30-06 would be just fine. I’m just throwing this out there too, to complicate things. You could get a magnum bolt face as well and start buying magnum chambered barrels. The possibilities would then be more endlesser…

If it’s not going to be packed all over the backcountry hunting then a long, heavy barrel and a better stock/chassis will help accuracy a lot
Hmm…something to think about. I’ll have to start looking into different parts. I started down this rabbit hole with my Tikka, then remembered I had the savage. The 280ai on the Tikka action is going to be my all around lightweight hunter. The majority of my hunting is whitetail, but I would like to chase a few other things like elk/caribou. My bow will be my first choice for them though.

I pulled the action from the stock. Any guidance from these pictures? I’m just going to rebarrel in 30-06 to keep things simple. Suggestions for barrel, possibly a budget trigger, and stock.

5C68A035-8AD3-4F0C-981C-1D2B33BC2AE4.jpeg

Attachments

• AB9A62A0-0649-4608-B45B-2F1B5B503D52.jpeg
    AB9A62A0-0649-4608-B45B-2F1B5B503D52.jpeg
    804.2 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: The D
Additional barrels in 22br, 6x47L, 25 creedmoor, 260 Rem, 280ai. That’s all

I pulled the action from the stock. Any guidance from these pictures? I’m just going to rebarrel in 30-06 to keep things simple. Suggestions for barrel, possibly a budget trigger, and stock.

View attachment 7952119

Stock - What do you want to do with it (hunt/target/both)?
- If weight isn't a concern, the Oryx chassis's are affordable.
- If budget is a concern and hunting is the main use, Boyd's and Stocky's might have something.
- I have one of Savage's Accustocks (built in mini chassis) I like, but it is not a really lightweight stock. They are often available as pull offs on eBay and other places from people who move their rifles to full chassis's and use their Savages for precision shooting.

Barrel:
- you could buy a take off barrel if budget is a major concern. There are usually lots of '06 and 270's on Ebay.
- https://www.eabco.com/ will probably have the least expensive new barrels. But, they don't really customize.
- There are a lot companies that offer Savage prefit barrels with prices to match your imagination.

Criterion replacement barrel would be my choice.

Stocky's or the Oryx would both be good choices.
I guess it depends on whether you want a chassis or a stock.

EGW base and a new scope.

get these: