• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
Would like some input on the durability of my older Savage 110E action currently chambered in 30-06 with blind mag. I am curious if this is a rifle that can be a good, durable "all purpose" rifle. I plan to swap to a bull barrel in same caliber with a M40 B&C stock. It will be used for anything from hunting, some local matches, training, truck gun etc. I want to know, is the action solid? Can it take both a physical beating and handle a large round count? Any worries of receiver cracking? Barrel weight restrictions? Can it handle hot hand loads? Basically, I want to know if this thing could be thrown off a cliff (so do speak) and still be reliable without a doubt. I am more versed in Remington rifles. Savage is new to me.

Attachments

• 20200911_123547.jpg
    20200911_123547.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 116
I think it will handle what you are proposing. I have a model 10 with about 3000 rounds on the action and have had no issues. I just use it for local matches but it has treated me well. You could re-barrel it to a smaller caliber if you are concerned at all about the action strength.

I think it will handle what you are proposing. I have a model 10 with about 3000 rounds on the action and have had no issues. I just use it for local matches but it has treated me well. You could re-barrel it to a smaller caliber if you are concerned at all about the action strength.

Thank you, and just to make it easier, When I say action strength I mean from all aspects of abuse, whether it be pessures from a hot load, or just dropping the gun on a rock accidentally. I just want it to always work no matter what I do to it. I like the 30/06, it is a good punching round that is readily available. I just want to make sure no matter what I do to this thing, it will work.

Well, I was going through the rifle, just cleaning, no adjustments of anykind, and realised the sear was rattling inside the receiver, took it out of the stock, popped the trigger hinge pin out and the sear fell out in 2 pieces....

Attachments

• 20200911_220459.jpg
    20200911_220459.jpg
    385.8 KB · Views: 103
Well, I was going through the rifle, just cleaning, no adjustments of anykind, and realised the sear was rattling inside the receiver, took it out of the stock, popped the trigger hinge pin out and the sear fell out in 2 pieces....
Something about that just doesn't seem good. Better call Savage that piece may be hard to get.

The problem with a Savage is the extraction and ejection. A hot handload will most likely wipe out the ejector, possibly the bolt head. I’ve experienced both. There are kits to help the issue but they are bandaids. I own 2 extremely accurate savages but the are not my go to guns. You would be more well served to go with a 700 Remington or a clone action in the same footprint.

Reactions: MakeSawdust
I ran a Savage in matches for 2 years through about 5000 rounds and maybe 100k dryfire cycles. I finally got it to extract and eject well and run smoothly. That took a lot of messing around. Then stuff started breaking. The parts for simple fixes were impossible to get because Savage was so lawyered up. I believe the company has changed hands, so this might not still be the case.

I got sick of dealing with the bullshit and put together a rifle on a Bighorn TL3. I still dryfire enough to break some of the small parts, but the customer service is amazing and I just carry extra small parts in case they break. I have had no issues getting parts to fix the action and it runs like a sewing machine. No drama.

As inexpensive as custom actions have become, I would not build out a savage unless they have fixed the customer service aspect. It is too hard to service routine things that break when they require you to have an ffl to purchase parts. Everything will wear out or break at some point if you shoot enough. Being able to service what you shoot is paramount if you are going to keep things running for matches.