• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110fcp @ 1802 yards

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
Took a buddy of mine from Phoenix out to Barstow yesterday. Set up my 3'x 3' steel at 1802 yards. Temp was in the mid 90's breezy winds 10-15mph.

Had a hell of a time getting on target at first. Where we had placed the steel we could not spot the misses. To much brush and there was as depression behind the target. High misses where going over and out of sight. Low right/left where in the brush. After throwing 20 rounds down rage we decided to move.

We found a nice little clearing on an inclined slope. That did the trick. Fist shot we could easily see the miss, ele was close, but the splash was about 2 mils right. I was on target by the third round with 19.3 mils of ele and 2.4 mils L wind dialed in. We had about a 50% hit ratio for the next 20 rounds connecting with the steel 9 times. All the misses where very close, some going through the wood frame.

The day proved to be well worth the sun burns sustained.

Ran three difernt loads, all with 300gr Scenar's
89gr VV-N570 @ 2680fps
91gr VV-N570 @ 2720fps
89gr Retumbo @ 2700fps
all @ .015 off the lands

All shot well, not one stuck case.

Freshly painted steel
IMG_2478.jpg

looking down range
IMG_2481.jpg

My spotter, also watching for any dirtbike's or ATV's.
IMG_2487.jpg

Target seen though 10x binos
IMG_2488.jpg

Confirmed distance at 1802 yards
IMG_2490.jpg

The aftermath
IMG_2491.jpg

Re: Savage 110fcp @ 1802 yards

Right on guys!

Any experiments with the Berger Hybrid 300 grainer?

Great post. Looks like you had a lot of fun out there. My only suggestion for next time: sunscreen (LOL).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 78steeler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have trouble finding your crosshair on that black target?</div></div>

No, not really. I do find the black target does stand out against the desert terrain and hits are easy to spot.

Which GPS/distance app are you using? I have a golf yardage one for Android that I'm not too fond of.

btw you could make the same sort of target stands out of rebar, much more portable, and more less likely to get hit and fall apart.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dang472</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Which GPS/distance app are you using? I have a golf yardage one for Android that I'm not too fond of.</div></div>

That one is "andmeasure"
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...W5kbWVhc3VyZSJd
I also use gps essentials, create way points to save the gps cords. Then when I get home I can use Google Earth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">btw you could make the same sort of target stands out of rebar, much more portable, and more less likely to get hit and fall apart.</div></div>

One day, but for now that wood frame has held up quite well. Total cost less then $20 and took me 15 min in the drive way to build. Replacement parts any hardware store. The one big draw back is the copper jacket shrapnel imbeds itself in to the wood. Must where gloved when handling.

Tag I would love to hear your results with hybrid ammo

What's up bro, I wish I wasn't so far from Barstow. I went shooting there during the calgun super secret zoombie meet and loved it. So much open space and was a lot of heat.

I just purchased a Savage 110 BA 338 and anxious to get out there to learn about my rifle. I'm not sure about my scope though, I have a Millet 25 power scope with 1/4 MOA. I've been thinking about getting a used Sightron S3 8-32x56 but it's also 1/4 MOA. I don't know if I should go for the 1/8 moa turrets. What is everyone using beyond 1000 yards?