• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110FCP 338LM, almost done/first outing

dstewart51

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2011
Lake Hughes, CA
Only other think Im waiting for is a 110BA bolt handle and I would like to add an adjustable cheek piece (recommendations?).

_PAS0190.jpg

My B-Day is Saturday, so I took the liberty of ordering myself a present. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 MLR scope with ZeroStop and HS .1MIL turrets w/ the Ti-Alloy Nightforce rings to mount on the Ken Farrel 20MOA base. Got it mounted up this morning.

_PAS0185.jpg

_PAS0186.jpg

_PAS0183.jpg

Going out to Angeles Shooting Range Sunday to get it sighted in @200y (they wont allow paper out any further during the weekend).

Re: Savage 110FCP, Almost done (need cheek piece)

VERY nice rig. I'd recommend the XLR cheek piece. Easily the best add on cheek piece you can buy and it also happens to be the cheapest.

Good luck,
Merritt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">VERY nice rig. I'd recommend the XLR cheek piece. Easily the best add on cheek piece you can buy and it also happens to be the cheapest.

Good luck,
Merritt </div></div>

Its nice when both cheep and good meet! Ill take a look at it.

Thanks guys, this is my first long range rifle. I think Im going to have a lot of fun with it.

One very sweet looking rifle! happy birthday to you as well.

That is a nice looking rifle. I really do love those savages. Just curious, what caliber are you running?

Very nice rifle! Congrats! You should sell me that bolt handle when you get your new one!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anti-Materiel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle! Congrats! You should sell me that bolt handle when you get your new one!
smile.gif
</div></div>
Im sure we can work something out.

Im quickly adding lots of extra parts I may want to list. I ordered a SSS comp trigger a rifle basix SAV1 trigger and a Timney trigger to see which one I would like the best. So far I like the Savage Accutrigger the best (at least on the bench). Need to get some field time on all of them.

Just got off the phone with Karsten. Cheek Piece on its way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anti-Materiel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice rifle! Congrats! You should sell me that bolt handle when you get your new one!
smile.gif
</div></div>
Im sure we can work something out.

Im quickly adding lots of extra parts I may want to list. I ordered a SSS comp trigger a rifle basix SAV1 trigger and a Timney trigger to see which one I would like the best. So far I like the Savage Accutrigger the best (at least on the bench). Need to get some field time on all of them.

Just got off the phone with Karsten. Cheek Piece on its way. </div></div>

Cool! I'd be interested in any Savage parts you have left over. I'm building a 110 right now. So far I've got a scope, rings, a base & a bipod. PM me when you know what you're gonna have left over. Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

I'm waiting for my Manners stock for the last component of my Savage build.

I've read a lot of people like the XLR ambidextrous check rest.
http://www.xlrindustries.com/pricing.html

What DBM did you go with for your Savage? </div></div>

That is the factory DBM that comes on that rifle. It's made by Accurate Mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jay Park</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle.

I'm waiting for my Manners stock for the last component of my Savage build.

I've read a lot of people like the XLR ambidextrous check rest.
http://www.xlrindustries.com/pricing.html

What DBM did you go with for your Savage? </div></div>

I looked in to the XLR cheek rest and I like it. My concern is with the shape of the HS Precision stock vs the Manners. The Manners is squared off and will have a nice fit with the aluminum brackets of the XLR, but I dont think it would work quite as well on the curved sides of the HS Stock. So I ordered the Karsten. I think the Karsten will mold to the HS stock a bit better then the XLR.

Cool! I've got one of the HS stocks + bottom metal on order to replace that aluminum piece from the 110BA.

I'd definitely +1 the Karsten... I've had several, definitely worth the $$$. I've seen the XLR version on one of their stocks... nice enough, but a little small for my tastes.

Just got back from Angeles and IM IN LOVE!

I only had 30 rounds to take with me so I had to make them count. Took 2 rounds to get a hit on the paper at 100yards, 3rd round was close enough to dead center. Put the target out to 200 yards, took 2 more shots to get it zeroed at 200. I set the ZeroStop and zeroed the turrets on scope. Shot 2 more rounds to confirm the 200y zero did not move. I moved to a smaller target on my stand and ran a single 3 shot group with shots 8, 9, and 10 to finish off my first box.

0.827" 3 shot group @ 200 yards before I even put 10 rounds though the "out of the box" Savage, that comes out to just under 1/2 MOA,
IMG_2131.jpg

The recoil was vary manageable, not much more then a 308! Short video below,
Savage 110FCP 338 Lapua - YouTube

For the next 10 rounds I was having a blast making 1st rounds hits at the steels ranging form 300 yards out to 600. Used "Shooter" to get the proper dope and it worked great, every shot was a hit! Im in love with this thing! I wasn't all super anal about 1 shot then clean break in. I did clean it before and after the first shot, no cooper was indicated on the patches. So I cleaned it about every 5 or 6 shots, still no cooper on the patches (using Butches Bore Shine). Came home with 10 Factory rounds and a bunch of .338 reloading supplies (Retumbo, 300gr SMK's, 1K of Fed GM215M and some Redding Dies). Did I mention I love this thing!

Wow, great first day at the range, with what looks to be a great new rifle from Savage. I've been waiting for guys to start posting some feeback on this rifle. I might get one ordered up this week.

What's your load specs? I'm working on a load using 300 grainers and Retumbo and I think it's gonna be my keeper.

"0.827" 3 shot group @ 200 yards before I even put 10 rounds though the "out of the box" Savage, that comes out to just under 1/2 MOA,"

Don't tell that to the custom crowd!! LOL, Good shooting, I love my BA here are a couple of my groups at 300 yrds.
Col2fin.jpg

Diego

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"0.827" 3 shot group @ 200 yards before I even put 10 rounds though the "out of the box" Savage, that comes out to just under 1/2 MOA,"

Don't tell that to the custom crowd!! LOL, Good shooting, I love my BA here are a couple of my groups at 300 yrds.
Col2fin.jpg

Diego </div></div>

POST LOAD DATA!!!

lol I'm curious to see what everybody else's like. I've seen mainly Retumbo loads which is what I've been working on. Curious to see what charge and where you guys are hitting pressure signs since the chambers should be pretty close.

Are there after market magazines that hold more than 4 rounds available for the Savage FCP in 308?

Snipedog,

Today I shot 20 Factory Lapua 300gr Scenars. I ran 5 though my Chronograph, low 2704fps high 2710fps. They shoot great but there's the price thing.

I went back and forth with what powder to try first. In the end I decided on Retumbo, I got the sense it will perform well with 300gr and the 1 in 9 26" barrel. It will be a few weeks before start testing with my loads. Ill be sure to report what I find.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"0.827" 3 shot group @ 200 yards before I even put 10 rounds though the "out of the box" Savage, that comes out to just under 1/2 MOA,"

Diego </div></div>

With a bit more trigger time I think I could have done better and believe there is more in the rifle. Those where just factory loads (very good ones), my first outing with this rifle and with less then 11 rounds total down range. To say the vary least, I am impressed and see a lot of potential.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Snipedog,

Today I shot 20 Factory Lapua 300gr Scenars. I ran 5 though my Chronograph, low 2704fps high 2710fps. They shoot great but there's the price thing.

I went back and forth with what powder to try first. In the end I decided on Retumbo, I got the sense it will perform well with 300gr and the 1 in 9 26" barrel. It will be a few weeks before start testing with my loads. Ill be sure to report what I find. </div></div>

Thanks for verifying.

does Lapua disclose their load recipe? From everything I know they use VV powders. I worked up a decent load with 570 but they may use something else in their factory ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gewehrsmann</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there after market magazines that hold more than 4 rounds available for the Savage FCP in 308? </div></div>

yes. dan @ darkeagle customs and Z71rat both make a 10 round mag that will fit your factory DBM and there is also CDI that takes AICS mags

I am so in love with my 110-fcp in .308 that I think my next purchase will be the .338 lm

Those grps were 88gr H1000 pushing 300gr SMK, lapua brass trimed .714 Fed gold 215 primer set 20k off lands

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those grps were 88gr H1000 pushing 300gr SMK, lapua brass trimed .714 Fed gold 215 primer set 20k off lands </div></div>

Thanks Diego.

I was sitting here last night prepping some cases to do a little test with some H1000 I've had sitting on the shelf. Did you start with that or did you work a load and see pressure? I figure I could get to around 91-91.5 without killing my brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for verifying.

does Lapua disclose their load recipe? From everything I know they use VV powders. I worked up a decent load with 570 but they may use something else in their factory ammo. </div></div>

I have not seen anything. If Lapua is anything like US Manufactures, they will be using a proprietary powder that's just not available to the public. You can get close but never quite match the factory loads exactly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for verifying.

does Lapua disclose their load recipe? From everything I know they use VV powders. I worked up a decent load with 570 but they may use something else in their factory ammo. </div></div>

I have not seen anything. If Lapua is anything like US Manufactures, they will be using a proprietary powder that's just not available to the public. You can get close but never quite match the factory loads exactly. </div></div>

Thanks

I figured as much but wasn't sure if it's ever been disclosed somewhere. Hornady is probably the only manufacturer to disclose the load data

^ GMR, I'll try my best to remember and put it on a scale tonight when I get home.

I worked up. Hornady brass only worked to 87gr before huge pressure signs!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for verifying.

I have not seen anything. If Lapua is anything like US Manufactures, they will be using a proprietary powder that's just not available to the public. You can get close but never quite match the factory loads exactly. </div></div>

Thanks

I figured as much but wasn't sure if it's ever been disclosed somewhere. Hornady is probably the only manufacturer to disclose the load data </div></div>

From what I can find, looks like VV N570 is the closest thing to the factory load (at least the 300gr Scenar). I'm not curious enough at this point to take apart one of my 10 remaining factory loads to compare kernel size.

Edit, you know... Curiosity is getting to me. You say you have some N570? Maybe if I do pull one apart I can send you some of the powder and you can compare it, color, kernel size, shape, weight per x number of kernels, maybe video and compare burn color and flame size of each batch... etch. I would be willing to compare it as well if you where willing to send me a sample. Ill have to be careful when pulling it apart. I want to measure the factory charge as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GMR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you please put that rig on a scale for total weight?? </div></div>

With the bipod, scope and DBM but no ammo, 14.5 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dstewart51</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Thanks for verifying.

Thanks

I figured as much but wasn't sure if it's ever been disclosed somewhere. Hornady is probably the only manufacturer to disclose the load data </div></div>

From what I can find, looks like VV N570 is the closest thing to the factory load (at least the 300gr Scenar). I'm not curious enough at this point to take apart one of my 10 remaining factory loads to compare kernel size.

Edit, you know... Curiosity is getting to me. You say you have some N570? Maybe if I do pull one apart I can send you some of the powder and you can compare it, color, kernel size, shape, weight per x number of kernels, maybe video and compare burn color and flame size of each batch... etch. I would be willing to compare it as well if you where willing to send me a sample. Ill have to be careful when pulling it apart. I want to measure the factory charge as well. </div></div>

I'd be down to look at it at least PM me some pictures and I'll compare kerner sizes and color. Take a measurement of the powder in the case and that will tell quite a bit because of max charges and what not. Take one apart and PM me after.

Finally some other posts with the 338 LM with FCP HS stock.

(the crowd goes wild)

I've been watching this thread with great interest. They have one at the local store that is calling my name! I just want to make sure I really "need" it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CastleRocker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been watching this thread with great interest. They have one at the local store that is calling my name! I just want to make sure I really "need" it. </div></div>

Most things in life have nothing to do with "need".

Anyone having any pressure issues with any of the factory ammo? I remember hearing about the 110ba in .338 Lapua having really tight chambers.

How do you guys like the muzzle break?

For those that are reloading for this one:
How far can you seat the bullet until it hits the lands (300grn, and or 250grn SMK)?

Diego,

The outside is 3.850". Interior length is 3.70".

Frank,

The chamber on mine seems to be a little tight. I'm seeing pressure with Retumbo around 92gr and 91.5gr with H1000. Granted it is a little low, but it seems to be getting close to average velocity due to running right at max pressure. I'm going to try and chrono my final load to see what it looks like but when I put in the 2750fps in the Berger ballistic calculator just for an estimate for my dope out to a grand, it was petty damn close. That was with 92 gr retumbo and Berger OTM.

I seat my Bergers .010 off the lands and OAL is 3.916". I do the same with the Scenars and they end up at 3.710". Both 300gr.

I have some SMK's to test as well so once I put them in the chamber to measure OAL I can post if needed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone having any pressure issues with any of the factory ammo? I remember hearing about the 110ba in .338 Lapua having really tight chambers.

How do you guys like the muzzle break? ...
</div></div>

Frank, I had ZERO pressure signs with the Factory Lapua 300gr Scenar ammo. I ran 5 though my Chrono (Comp Electronics Pro Digital), low 2704 and high of 2710. The OAL of the Factory loads was 3.600" + or - several thousandths. Cant tell you how far off the lands they are yet, waiting on my 338 comparator tools.

As far as the muzzle break, well it seems to be effective?

Updated photos with the Karstan Cheek Rest installed. Its a cloudy overcast winter day so hue is a but dull. Still waiting on the 110BA bolt handle.

Savage_110FCP_knarwdf.jpg

Savage_110FCP_knap.jpg

Snipedogg,

I got around to pulling apart on of the Factory Lapua 300gn Scenar rounds.

I measured 2704-2710fps through my 110FCP.
Lapua says 92.4gn (MAX) of N570 should give 2746fps (Test barrel: 700 mm (27½”), 1 in 10” twist).
http://www.lapua.com/en/products/reloading/vihtavuori-reloading-data/relodata/5/86

OAL: 3.600"
Total cartridge weight: 727.7gn
Bullet weight: 299.7gn
Case with primer weight: 336.2gn
Charge weight: 91.8gn

299.7 + 336.2 + 91.8 = 727.7

_PAS0227.jpg

_PAS0228.jpg

If you send PM me your email I can send you very Hi-Res photos of the powder.

I just ordered one of these today!!! Can't wait to get my hands on it...also ordered a vortex PST 4-16x50 MOA to sit on it. Now to go drool on my reloading manual and decide what loads to start with while I wait for it to get here.....