• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 110V Series J Scope Base Help

ssnfa

Sergeant
Minuteman
I have a Savage 110V Series J that is neither an expensive gun, nor a fancy gun, but has a huge amount of centimental value to me!

I am trying to figure out the correct scope bases for it but I am confused as hell with all the options Savage seems to have with LA, SA, IA, non-accutrigger, accu-trigger, etc... Most of the bases at Brownells don't even get specific on which Savage action the bases will fit, I have to go down to the Q&A.

My rifle is identical to this, but this one isn't mine.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/11322...odel-110-v-series-j-.22-250-bolt-action-rifle

Can someone help out? I am just looking for a resonable priced 0 MOA picatinny rail that will fit the first time.

It's actually a Model 112V series J. It's not a long action Savage. Those rifles had a shorter action than the standard Savage 110 at the time. Your best bet is to get a two piece scope bases for a standard Savage 110 non accutrigger type model. Good luck on finding a one piece rail type mount. I couldn't for the one I use for a shop test rifle here. So I made one from scratch.

Later,Frank
Bartlein Barrels

It's actually a Model 112V series J. It's not a long action Savage. Those rifles had a shorter action than the standard Savage 110 at the time. Your best bet is to get a two piece scope bases for a standard Savage 110 non accutrigger type model. Good luck on finding a one piece rail type mount. I couldn't for the one I use for a shop test rifle here. So I made one from scratch.

Later,Frank
Bartlein Barrels

So if it's a 112 why did they stamp them 110V?

I guess I should've asked this question. Is yours a repeater or a single shot. The original 112's where single shots, shorter action. I looked at the picture closer in the link you provided and that stock is different from the original 112's as well. That stock in your picture is the same type used on the 110S (S=silhouetter) rifle. I'll take a picture of mine and post it and I'll measure the ejection port opening for you to see if yours is the same.

My original take off barrel (still have it) is stamped 112 Series J.

Later, Frank

It's the second model varmint. The original 112V's like mine were single shot only and made from 1974 to 1979. Your repeater model came out in 1980 and was only around for a few years. I've never had one in my hand. One of the guys at work has a 110S silhouette rifle. Same stock as the one you pictured. The 110S was only available in 7mm-08 and .308win. His was a 7mm-08 and he had the original barrel rechambered years ago to 7x57imp or .284win. Can't remember which. He used it for Silhouette matches.

Attached below is my 112V below. You can see the stock's pistol grip is different. This gun has been my work horse. Original barrel is a .220 Swift but I've had 6mm rem. chambered barrels on it, .308win, .338 Lapua and custom .30cal. chambered barrels which it does currently wear one. Chambered in 8x57mm mauser necked down to .30cal.

P1040531_zpse154d20d.jpg

Don't laugh at it! The gun has always shot around 1/3moa or less with any barrel I've had on it. The current barrel has averaged under 1/4moa. The very first gouped fired thru it measured .187 at 114 yards.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I think I just found a better solution to our problem?!

The scope base that is laying on top of my long action 110 for a Win. Model 70. You cannot see it in the picture but if I push down on the back of the base the front end sits up about .050-.060". Quick measurement. Mill off approx. .050" and the base will sit about perfect. This Savage action 110 is a long action series J in .30-06.

P1040532_zpscd6e5135.jpg

In the next picture I'm holding it up against my 112V. The receiver ejection port opening is approx. 3.250". You can see if you mill the bottom back just a little it will fit the receiver opening perfect. The two front screw holes in the base are the same distance as the Savage action. If you look at the back of the base it's just a little longer. You would have to mill off the back end just a little. No big deal there. The only thing I didn't check but pretty sure you will have to do is drill a couple of back holes for the rear scope base screws. Would save a lot of time making a base from scratch. Think I will pick up another from Brownell's (p/n 080-000-397) and modify it next week.

P1040533_zpsa5ed73ad.jpg

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Well it turned out excellent. Got the base. Milled down the back end (how much you want to mill off will determine if you have some MOA built in or if you want none at all is up to you), machined in the two new rear screw mounting holes and milled back the radius for the ejection port opening as the Savage 112V is still about .325 longer than the Model 70. So getting this scope base mount and modifing it for your action will be about the easiest you could do. The scope base fit perfect length wise so nothing had to be milled off the back end like I thought at first. Front screw holes were spot on the money as well like I thought.

P1040538_zpseb9c0eb3.jpg

P1040539_zps81ecec84.jpg

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels