• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 111 conversion from 30-06 to 7 prc

Joey6

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2022
Oregon
I have a pre accu-rigger 30-06 that my son wants to convert it to 7 prc. It's my understanding that to make the conversation I would need a new barrel and bolt face. The issue I'm having is tracking down the bolt face that's needed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is this all that's needed or did I miss something/miss understand?

You’ll want a .540 magnum bolt face for the prc chamberings. No idea on savage bolt head availabilities.
You’ll also need a mag in addition to the bolt head and the barrel.

Have him look up a 280ai which is just a necked down modified 30-06 case and should be a straight barrel only swap with the same .473 bolt face. It’s not going to match the prc for pure volume but it is no slouch either.

As mentioned, you’ll probably need a mag follower or mag, the barrel, and bolt head. Here is a link to a bolt head in stock.

Reactions: Joey6
Greatly appreciate the responses. Both 30-06 and 7 prc have 3.34 overall length. Why would I need a different mag or follower? Just to maintain capacity? Am I missing something here?

Greatly appreciate the responses. Both 30-06 and 7 prc have 3.34 overall length. Why would I need a different mag or follower? Just to maintain capacity? Am I missing something here?
Follower would be to help feeding if the cartridge is a different diameter. I have not followed the 7 PRC, so I am not 100% sure.

7 PRC is a magnum cartridge and may not stack/feed properly in a .30-06 magazine.

Reactions: NewsShooter