• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Savage 111 rebarrel

bdw0469

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2011
NY
A friend of mine bought a 111 in 30.06 and says its too much gun for him. Will a barrel for a short action round like 308 or 223 swap out with minimal work? He didn't listen to me when I told him what to buy. Thanks for the input.

Re: Savage 111 rebarrel

Any 110/10 barrel with the appropriate shank size will screw on easily. If you go to something like a 223 with the smaller bolt face you will also need a new bolt head. Also if you go with a 223 or similar cartridge you will probably need to change the magazine.

.308 would be his best bet, unless he is completely recoil shy, then perhaps a .243. the Magazine box and all would need replacing on for a .223 as well as bolt head.
All the old Savages were build on a long action despite caliber, so .308/.243 would be easy and inexpensive.

Thanks. He has no idea on how to handle it. I told him I would help him and I directed him to this site to no avail. He just asked me if I knew anybody who wanted to buy his new gun so I suggested a lighter recoiling round or managed recoil ammo.

He needs to fire a .308 to make sure hes not THAT recoil sensitive, if not then .308 would be the round to go to...magazine if blind or DBM would work for the 308 as the case width size is the same...95% sure its a small shank, lots of .308 barrels out there...or he could get a muzzle brake installed that would also reduce recoil probably to .308 levels...

If hes totally recoil adverse them have him try a .243...same parent case as the .308/30-06 and about .223 x 1.5 recoil levels...so if he cant handle 30-06 OR .308 try .243 as I am assuming he wanted to hunt with this gun and .223 is not legal in many states to hunt large game with while .243 IS...

Ditto on swapping out to a smaller than .308 like .223 being more intensive, bolts, magazines yadayada...

Capt Beach

260!!!

Built my first 260 on a long Savage 110 with 'staggerfeed' (attached to action) magazine which came originally as a 270. The 260 loaded and fed perfectly in the magazine. With the target gun having an accutrigger, I'd bet its a newer round back action with a 'centerfeed' (fixed in stock) magazine.

I too found the 30-06 to be "too much gun" for anything other than hunting, but can shoot my 260 all day long without so much as discomfort in my shoulder.

Get a Criterion barrel, Go/No-Go Gage, barrel nut wrench and rock on...

Of course, 243 is a good choice too...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">260!!!

Built my first 260 on a long Savage 110 with 'staggerfeed' (attached to action) magazine which came originally as a 270. The 260 loaded and fed perfectly in the magazine. With the target gun having an accutrigger, I'd bet its a newer round back action with a 'centerfeed' (fixed in stock) magazine.

I too found the 30-06 to be "too much gun" for anything other than hunting, but can shoot my 260 all day long without so much as discomfort in my shoulder.

Get a Criterion barrel, Go/No-Go Gage, barrel nut wrench and rock on...

Of course, 243 is a good choice too... </div></div>

I agree the 260 is an option too but I think standard calibers are more readily available...260 is a little more $$$ unless he reloads too which I'm starting to doubt...

Capt Beach

I am going to broach the subject and inform him of the cost and see what he wants to do.. It might end up in the PX.

Get a Criterion barrel, Go/No-Go Gage, barrel nut wrench and rock on.
kv.gif

If he is too recoil sensitive for a .30-06 he will not like a .308 either, there is too little difference.

A .243, .260, or 7mm-08 would be better, as would a 7x57.