• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 11lrh- 1200m?

jeffl838

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2013
The range I shoot at is extending from 800ish to 1200, and I won't be able to take an AR out that far. I see this as a good excuse to get an awesome bolt gun. Does anyone have any experience with the Savage 11 Long Range Hunter? I want to get 308 because of ammo prices, but if 308 won't cut it, I could do 338 or 300 wm. All I care is about is being able to bang an ipsc steel target though, I'm not going for groups or anything. I'd be willing to spend about 2 grand total on the set up, including optics, rings, if I should get it bedded, etc. Maybe a little bit more, but not too much.

Thanks.

A Savage rifle is certainly a good choice if you don't want to spend a lot of money but I would recomend you pick something other than the LRH model. It is excedingly over priced for what you get. It is basically a hunting rifle they put an adjustable cheekpiece on. For the kind of range you are trying for, I would recomend something in the Varmint, Law Enforcement, or Target line of rifles and you will probable want something a little hotter than a 308 for that range. If you a just shooting paper and steel, a .260 Remington or similar is going to be your best bet. Good ammo for a .260 shouldn't be much more expensive than .308 Winchester.

Do you have a specific model in mind? I'm looking at the 10 fcp-k, but maybe the one with the HS precision stock is worth it? I like that it has a 1/10 twist instead of the 1/12 in the target series. If I get the FCP-k I'll have enough to get a nice Vortex scope 6-24x scope, but I don't really like that stock. Doesn't look like I can get a good cheek weld.

So 308 won't do it at 1200? I'd like to eventually find somewhere to shoot out to a mile (I'd be happy with like 1 hit in 5 shots at that distance...) with the same rifle so being capable at 1200 is a must.

The 10 FCP-K is a good, solid gun to start out on if you are new to long range precision shooting and can be fairly easily upgraded later if you so desire. If you are worried about cheekweld, there are several solutions that can affordably help with that. The cheapest is duct tape and foam. You can also get something like the TacOps cheekpiece from Brownells for about $50. You can also order the cheekpiece on the LRH model straight from the guy makes them and use that if you like the looks of it. Search around and you will find that fixing cheekweld issues are not difficult at all so don't be too worried about that. If getting the FCP-K helps you get into good optics and you like, then by all means go for it.

A 308 could probably make hits out to 1200, and maybe even a mile, but it is going to take an extreme amount of skill to really keep on target at that distance with that round. Like a world class shooter doing it just to prove it's possible type of deal. You will definitely have to pick a different cartridge to get the kind of distance you are trying to achieve.

If you don't handload, aren't ready for a cutsom rifle and are dead set on a Savage, then I am going to recomend either the Model 12 Long Range Precision in .260( which might be pushing it a bit) or the Model 110 FCP H-S Precision in .300 WM. If you do handload, are ready for a custom rifle and aren't deadset on a Savage, then the possiblities are pretty much endless.

My local range has reloading equipment but I won't be able to use it until I take their reloading class. I do plan on eventually hand loading though. I'm not dead set on a Savage either. Are there custom options that would keep the rifle at around $1000?

Last edited:
Also, what would be a good scope to get? This wouldn't be a 100% bench rest gun, but I like the price of the nightforce bench rest scopes. Just over a grand but it's a nightforce and you get 32x magnification. I just don't like that it's moa adjustments with mil reticle.

Custom options around a $1000 are going to be limited to calling Savage about a special order rifle. You probably should stick to factory rifles and common calibers if you have a limited budget and don't reload at this point. You can always upgrade later if you want to. As for a good scope, The Bushnell Tactical series and HDMR rifle scopes are pretty good scopes for the money. One of the Vortex vipers would also be a great idea. Although some people don't like them, the Leupold Mark 4 scopes aren't bad for the money and are available with Mil/Mil adjustments. If you are not dead set on a Savage and want something like a .300 WM, then the Remington M700 Sendero is a good option, though you may have to save up some more money and search around to get a good deal.

Guess 308 isn't enough for 1200 then, dang.

300wm it is... I like the Viper PST 6-24 but it is a little bit pricy. Is there anything with just a little lesser quality but like 200 bucks cheaper?

I can't really help you with scopes below the price line of a Vortex Viper due to the fact that I have never really looked at scopes in that price range. I would recomend posting that question in the rifle scopes section. I will say that if you really like the Viper than it might be a good idea to hold off for awhile and save the extra money you need for the scope you like. Buy once, cry once.

Go over to Savageshooters. Paid membership will get you into the classifieds. There's some nice guns for sale in your price range that'll leave money for optics. I don't have anything for sale there, but it's where I'd start looking.

With your budget the savage may be the best option for you. The best advice would be to do your research and then do more research. Their long range platform is appealing but I remember the 6br had a long throat issue and the shooters were not getting the expected results so once again do your research on the caliber you want. The good news about savage is that the barrel swap is easy, can be done at home and excellent barrels can be had at about 60-70% the price of say a Remington.

To get out to your yardage hand loading should be something you want to get started with. It will save a bit on ammo but more importantly it will squeez the acurcary out of the rifle that you want at those ranges. And since you mentioned you may start hand loading that could be a factor on which caliber choose. Look at availability of components, price and quality.

Your glass should be as important as you rifle and I would go with all I could spend. If you want to stay within your budget I would look at the Sightron SIII series. Good glass, target turrets and plenty of elevation. I have sightrons on both my 100 yard and 400 yard bench rest rifles. The glass is on par with my night force optics but they are not as robust as a nightforce. If you don't plan on doing any HALO jumps or throwing you rifle off a rocky cliff the Sightron will serve you well. I have not run one on a hard recoiling rifle so once again do your research.

Last edited:
300wm is a good round, but I'd seriously consider the model 12lrp in 260 Remington or 6.5 creed. If it'll be a while before you start reloading then I'd go for the creed, as hornady makes excellent, excellent match ammo for it for about $30/box, Where'd the 260 stuff I've found is more in the $40-50 range.
The 300wm match ammo is about $35, not bad, but also consider the extra punch that it provides to your shoulder over time.
I bought a 10fcp in 308. I shot about 200 rounds through it, and am now spending over a grand to have it r barreled in 260. To do it all over again, i would have probably just gone with that model 12...

Will 6.5 cm be noticeably more accurate at 1200? Can't argue with 25 bucks a box.

Over 300wm? Well, i haven't done the ballistics, but the BC tends to be very good with the 6.5, and it is a flatter flying round. The 300wm will carry more energy to the target at 1200, but it's it worth it for the extra kick?

All I care about is performance (accuracy, not too worried about terminal) honestly. Not that I'm a super bad ass or anything, I realize fatigue affects everyone, but I'll only be shooting 20 rounds a week max, so it's not too big of a deal as long as I'm not shooting something like 50bmg. I feel like 300wm is a more common round, so if 6.5cm and 300wm have similar performance, I'll take 300wm. If 6.5 is more accurate though, 12lrp it is.

I guess terminal ballistics will matter a little bit... I want the steel to make an audible noise when I hit it?

Last edited:
Excuse me if I'm taking a step backwards but I'm reading a lot about this 6.5 grendel... It has a higher bc than 308? Any hope with taking 6.5g to 1200?

Right I understand that. With everyone suggesting the 6.5cm, I'm wondering if 6.5g would be enough to shoot out to 1200. I'm reading that you can get 2760 fps with moly jlk 130's and a 28 inch barrel with the right load. 18 inches, about 2500 with 123 a max. Won't shoot as fast as a 6.5cm, but it's not that far off.

6.5 grendel is a great round.....if u are limited to an ar15 platform. In a bolt gun it is useless,the grendel really only has enough ass to push a 123 gr bullet. That has a .511 bc, just barely better then a 175 smk 308. U are only going to see 2450-2600fps in a 20" or less ar barrel, so it is about 308 performance, basically solid rd under 800-900, but gets dicey way out there. I have a 12 lrp in creedmoor, excellent rifle. Factory barrel and factory ammo sub .5 moa ave, with handloads shot sub .4s. Managed several sub 1/2 moa groups at 1 k with handloads.

I have saw lrp's new for around 800ish, get a warne rail, can't use a rail with a recoil lug built in, about 100. Tps or seekins rings, 80-120.00 and viper pst mrad sfp 6-24. If u are planning on some type of tac matches u might spring for a ffp model. The Bushnell6-24 ffp mrad g2dmr is a great sub 1000.00 scope, but it would blow ur 2k limit if the rifle set u back more then 800.

Get the 300WM. Way more common with the best selection of bullets out there. I believe the army officially adopted it a few years ago for the XM2010. They claim it's good to 1500m with their new 220gr OTM loading. Once fired brass is all over the place for reloading; reload costs gotta be close to any of the 6.5 stuff. My 300WM is due for it's 3rd barrel (average 3500 rnds/barrel) which is getting moved up to a 1:10 twist, the current 1:12 won't shoot anything bigger than 190. It kicks a little more but you can fix that with a muzzle brake or PAST pad.

As for the Lapua, got one last summer, great caliber but usually way more than needed inside 1000m. If you don't reload it, the attached pic says it all.

Attachments

• 338LapuaMag.jpg
    338LapuaMag.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 21