• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 action loose in stock

tucansam

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2012
Hi gang.

I have a Savage 12 that came with a tupperware stock. A few years ago I upgraded to the wooden "BVSS" style stock, and bedded the action. At the time, the existing (old tupperware) action screws didn't fit, so I got some new ones from the hardware store (longer length).

I shot an OCW test a month ago, and groups were super tight. The last three times I've had the rifle out, groups opened up -- today's groups (same loads as OCW) were 1.5-2". I've been chasing this problem for a few sessions now, and lo-and-behold, today I realized the action was loose in the stock. If I press on the end of the barrel, the whole action tilts forward ever so slightly.

I tightened up the action screws -- no effect. I now have over 60lbs (30lbs is recommended) on each action screw, and the action is still just slightly loose in the stock. I don't want to go any tighter because I feel I am going to break something.

I may try to put a washer under the front action screw to basically decrease the length.... But I'm wondering what else I can/should be checking.

Thanks.

Well I put 20 in lbs on the rear action screw and 30 on the front, and the action seems pretty stable. I had it tight when I put the rifle back together months back, and believe that the action screws must have worked themselves a little loose over time and use.

I know that "locktite" and "firearm" don't generally go together, but how much of the devil would I be inviting into my life if I put a dab of blue locktite on the action screws to discourage them from walking out?

Try some Vibratite VC-3. Will prevent the screw from backing out without "locking" the threads.

Not an expert but sounds like the wood may have compressed where the action screws are? Have you tried the original screws yet? Sounds like the current screws may be bottoming out if they're that tight and the action is still loose.basically you're tightening the screws again the receiver itself not the threads of the receiver. If the original screws are too short I'd try a washer on each side, maybe 2 if it'll work.

The stock is pillar bedded, which makes it even more confusing.

if it is pillar bedded, i would check to see if the pillars are no longer solidly mounted in the stock, sorry for reviving this thread, but just in case you haven't found an answer yet.

Pillars are not loose as near as I can tell. I worked the action screws a bit and got them to where there was minimal flex in the action in the stock. They're well beyond the rated torque settings, and blue lock-tited, but I have gotten the flex minimized. There is still some... and I mean very, very minimal. Its a heavy 26" barrel in a wooden stock, with a generous free float channel. If I press down on the end of the barrel and the bottom of the stock, at the muzzle end of the rifle, the barrel visibly dips in the channel. *minimally* -- but still noticeable. I tried the same test on a Rem 700, Ruger 77/22, and a cheap Romanian Trainer -- all are solid in their stocks, as if welded.

When I bedded the action, I bedded from the recoil lug back to the rear action screw -- the area behind the rear action screw to the tang is not bedded. I'm not sure if this is making a difference or not.

I think I can live with this amount of minimal flex (you guys can educate me). Should I consider re-doing the bedding job?

All my rifles flex like that, and the actions are not loose. What your describing is normal, at least for me.

I should add, the rifles are 2-M700, both heavy barrels in HS Precision stocks, and a Savage M10, in a McRee Chassis W/Shilin varmint contour barrel.

Last edited: