• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 F/TR twist rate question

Jager247

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2011
VA
I ordered a savage 12 F/TR today. It has a 30 inch barrel with a twist rate of 12. I want to go ahead and pick up some bullets to have when it gets here. But when I look up the twist rate on the web I come up with different opinions on what I can shoot. I've seen where you can't go over 168 and others say you can't go over 180gr. Others say not to go over 155gr. I have a lot of SMK's 168gr that i use in my LR-308. I plan on shooting 500 yards max, but mostly out to only 300 yards for my local club matches. So I am guessing that to get to 100yards those guys are using 155gr to push the bullet over 3000 fps. So if any of you guys that have the gun or can point me in the right direction for bullet and powder for 500 yards and closer I would be thankful. I do have a bunch of 168 SMK's loaded up with 42.8 gr of IMR 8208 with a OAL of 2.79 that I use for my LR-308

Re: Savage 12 F/TR twist rate question

I have the Palma version with the 13 twist, and even though the stability factor is right on the edge, I've had very good results using the Berger 168 Hybrids and 2000MR going over 3000fps in the 30". With the 168 Hybrid you have to bump up to anything in 185's to exceed the G7 (at least in the Berger line-up).

44.5 grains of varget behind those 168's.

You can also shoot the 175 and 178's, though for your intended purpose, the 168 SMK rules (they were designed for 300 meter competition)

thanks, I'll give them a shot.

I wouldnt say that the twist rate/bullet weight ratio is written in stone. There are cases where a particular bullet just doesnt shoot well in a particular barrel. Barrels are individuals too and will have likes and dislikes. At 500yards you wont be giving up a bunch regardless of weight, it's when you start stretching things out farther the higher BC's will be your friend. Might suggest you pick several weights and styles and shoot them in your rifle. I have a 1:10 Savage F/TR and it shoots 168smk, 175smk and 185 berger equally well, havent tried any 155's yet. With the bergers they dont do anything than a smk will for me at 500yds other than than cost more.

I have been shooting 175 SMK in a 1-12 barrel for years all the way to 1000 yds, loaded with 45 gr of varget,switched to 155's SMK with 48 gr of varget and there is no accuracy difference, only recoil and less elevation at long distances.
shoot whatever you want in your savage.

You are good all the way to the Berger 190 VLD sans the 185 Hybrid which they recommend a 11 twist for, though I suspect if you run them hard with a 30" the hybrid will work too.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Products/Target%20Bullets.html

Note the twist rate column.

SMKs will work through the 190s.

Fast moving 155s are a hoot to shoot out of a 30" 308. Check out the SMK 2156, Berger Fullbore, and Berger Hybrid then run them about 3000 FPS.

I have the same rifle and also have had good luck with 168 hybrids, 185btlr and even 200 hybrids (it was hot and only tested them at 225yds) using 2000MR.

FWIW off the shelf FGMM 168's are flat out amazing for <600yds.