• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 flv or rem 700vs in .223

rgvt4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 9, 2012
Colorado
Witch one and why? Both in 26" barrel rem has a 1/12 and savage is a 1/9 twist.

Re: Savage 12 flv or rem 700vs in .223

get the Savage. With the faster twist barrel, you'll be able to shoot the heavier 69grn bullets...the 12" twist is more for the 55grn bullets.

what type of shooting are you planning on doing with the rifle? What rounds are you planning to shoot? Do you want to "upgrade" the rifle down the road?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sonic Crack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what type of shooting are you planning on doing with the rifle? What rounds are you planning to shoot? Do you want to "upgrade" the rifle down the road? </div></div>
All this..... is a good starting point.

Most of the hunting will be for yotes and prairie dogs. not looking for long rang shooting

You won't go wrong, either way. The only real difference are the factory triggers...that XMark Pro trigger is shit, IMHO. Timney improves that rather substantially for 110.00.

I also like the faster twist on the Savage, I shoot 75gr Amax out of my 24" 9 twist Model 10.

Both should be shooters the Savage IMO would be better for longer range with heavier bullets. Either should fit the bill for short range(500 or less). The load I use for yotes in 223 is a 40gr V-max some N120 and rem 7 1/2. Deadly on yotes and makes Pdogs fly.

rgvt4, you'd better answer Sonic Crack's question. There are 100 times more upgrades available for the Remmys than the Savages. I just got a Savage a while back and you have to search around more to find what you need. I do prefer my savage 12 LRP to my Rem 700 and in your case, as others have pointed out, the faster twist would be nice so you aren't limited to 55 grain pills

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwsenoj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rgvt4, you'd better answer Sonic Crack's question. There are 100 times more upgrades available for the Remmys than the Savages. I just got a Savage a while back and you have to search around more to find what you need. I do prefer my savage 12 LRP to my Rem 700 and in your case, as others have pointed out, the faster twist would be nice so you aren't limited to 55 grain pills </div></div>

You don't really need to search around any more than you do for a Remington at all. Nearly everyone makes pre-fits, I am notsure of many stock makers anymore that exclude Savage. There is a good amount of aftermarket triggers that are carried by all of the big distributors.