• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 Long Range Precision?

LeviSS

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2010
IL
What do you guys think of this rifle? With the HS Precision stock and target action, it looks to be a great out of the box rifle. I'm looking for .260Rem, and this model seems to be kinda hard to come by.

Looking for opinions of people who have shot or own one.

Re: Savage 12 Long Range Precision?

I shot a good friend's 12LRP in 6.5CM. If you have the cash, get it, you will not be disappointed. Damn fine rifle right out of the box...that "target" accutrigger was very nice...very light and clean break to it.

I have 5 Savage Target actions, 2 of the older to screw and 3 of the 3 screw. They are as accurate as the barrel the come with. Occasionally you will get a barrel or chamber out of spec, but generally they are GTG. If not, send it back. I love that I can really play with them to tweak by screw tension, or taking the middle screw out, and always freeing up the tang area at the back of the action, switching barrels and bolt heads to change caliber. The right combo will consistently bughole.

I have one in .260 and must say it is a fantastic out of the box rifle.. ready to shoot. I did swap out the factory HS stock for a McMillan A5 and put a XLR adjustable cheek piece on it. Now it's perfect. I would recommend getting a cheek piece from Kyle at XLR even if you stick to the HS Precision stock it comes with. For $25 you can't beat it.

What is the screw spacing on the LRP, Is it 4.41?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the screw spacing on the LRP, Is it 4.41? </div></div>

Yes.

I've got one I dropped in an XLR chassis, sometimes I wish I would have just gone with an AI but I'm really happy with mine and I think it's a really good accurate option to get started with especially if you're not used to ultra slick actions.

edit: it is a really heavy rifle I forgot how much mine weighed stock but I'm pretty sure it was over ten pounds,

12 LRP is a fine rifle.

Unless you're shooting against me, in which case I recommend a Remington SPS in 223 or 308.

I love mine in 6.5 CM. Shoots under 1/2" with Hornady 140 AMAX factory ammo.
One of my top three favorite rifles

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turbo54</div><div class="ubbcode-body">12 LRP is a fine rifle.

Unless you're shooting against me, in which case I recommend a Remington SPS in 223 or 308. </div></div>

I had one in .243Win...that's why I'm now looking at Savage. Remington is done getting my money.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's gonna be a little bit before I'm able to pick one up, but I like to have my decision settled, so when I see a good opportunity I'll be ready.