• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 12 lrp vs bergara vs trued 700 remage 6.5 creedmoor

toxic

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2014
Mansfield, OH
I am currently looking for a new rifle. I can't decide on a savage 12 lrp or a trued 700 with a criterion remage barrel. Both would be in 6.5 creedmoor. Also would consider a bergara or other factory or low cost aftermarket option. Already have a vortex razor hd gen 2 4.5-27 to go on it. Buddy just got a savage 12 lrp and with factory 147 eldm is shooting sub .5. Hard to argue with that, but there isn't much available aftermarket for a savage that I've found, atleast nowhere near whats available for a 700. Already have a KRG bravo I can use for a 700.

Just got a 26" 1-10 308 criterion remage barrel, but its on a factory sps varmint action. So far 1" with handloads has been about the best I can get. Tried 155 eldm, 178 eldm, 208 eldm and 185 berger juggernaut target all with varget at 2.80, except for the 208s at 2.845". Velocity has been excellent, but groups have sucked. Even factory gold medal bergers only were 1.25" at 100yds. So needless to say I'm not sure about going with another remage setup.

The trued 700 action and remage barrel would come from northland shooters supply. I would prefer a 700 type action over a savage. Would like to keep it under 1500, but If needed can go more.

Bighorn Origin action for $800 and a PVA shouldered barrel for $525.
What he said^^

Or a Nucleus barreled action. Combo price at 1475 for a complete B/A in a 3 lug CRF mechanical eject action.

I just recently handed a quote to a gent to start from a 700 and do a truing package with some minor lipstick on the sow and a barrel install. The price point was higher when starting with the factory action than it was to get a custom. I tried to explain that as well but there were some mitigating factors that the action was sentimental.

I totally understand that then, but for a build with no emotional attachment to the rifle thus far that's an expensive way to go.

Reactions: toxic
What he said^^

Or a Nucleus barreled action. Combo price at 1475 for a complete B/A in a 3 lug CRF mechanical eject action.

I just recently handed a quote to a gent to start from a 700 and do a truing package with some minor lipstick on the sow and a barrel install. The price point was higher when starting with the factory action than it was to get a custom. I tried to explain that as well but there were some mitigating factors that the action was sentimental.

I totally understand that then, but for a build with no emotional attachment to the rifle thus far that's an expensive way to go.
Would you recommend button or cut rifling? Not set on this yet, but think I will order soon, if i can decide if I can afford the extra.

Any experience with northland shooters supply? Trued 700 actions are only 445-480.

I don't have any experience in the NSS, but their discription says "The receiver face has been squared and the lugs have been lapped." So they're not doing much to them. The Origin or Nucleus actions are going to have several more features over a NSS trued Remington.

Any experience with northland shooters supply? Trued 700 actions are only 445-480.
Both the Origin and Nucleus will have interchangeable bolt heads, mechanical ejection, CRF, and a host of other features that a trued R700 just won't have. About 3 years ago I had my first custom built on a trued R700 action and I really wish I hadn't. That barreled action now sits in my gunsafe and I don't know what to do with it. If it comes down to it, save for just a little while longer to get the Nucleus or Origin.

What he said^^

Just put a deposit on a complete Hancock rifle. Decided on the complete rifle since it would have only been about $150 more than a barreled action(cut rifling) and trigger. Amazing value for what you get. Assuming you will need a copy of an FFL to ship it to?

They'll all work, my LRP in 6.5 CM still shoots that well with over 2k through the barrel. Action isn't as nice and smooth as my custom but it works just fine. There are plenty of chassis/stock options, mine has been in a mcree and now in a manners T5. The trigger on the LRP is nice, mine is about 18 oz and I haven't had an issue with it. Drawback is that it has a large shank so pre-fit barrels aren't as plentiful.

Last edited:
my 12 lrp has a 26 in criterion barrel. shoots great so far im happy with it. i bought my barrel and action wrench through nss.

Would you recommend button or cut rifling? Not set on this yet, but think I will order soon, if i can decide if I can afford the extra.

The button barrels are excellent. We're getting groups and velocity consistency from them that is indistinguishable against other cut rifled barrels. Some guys go to the cut for the extra piece of mind, my match rifle is wearing button rifled barrels right now and it's been hammering in the sub 1/4MOA range.

Reactions: toxic