• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12 LRP

Hairball

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jan 31, 2013
    SoCal
    Hello All,

I am in the market for my next moderately priced project and I came across a Savage 12 LRP in .243 with a 26” heavy barrel. I like my .308’s but I am looking for a good rifle for 500-1000 yards for stationary targets in a smaller caliber. About the closet thing I have to compare it with is my 5.56 bolt action and while I prefer larger calibers, I thought I would try out something new. As I have exactly zero experience with a .243, would this make a decent build project for my intended use? Seeing if there are a few of you out there that own/have owned this model to give me idea if the project is worth pursuing. Thanks for your time.....

I just looked it up and it looks like that comes with a 9.25 twist. Personally I would want a 8 twist. Might look at 260 or 6.5 creed

I thought about something in a 260 as well. Not sure with my limited experience with these calibers if I would notice a 1.25 inch diff in twist rates until I had plenty of time to play with it. I have tried to find basic info on barrel life and I have found numbers from 1000-3000 depending upon who is answering the question and what specific barrel they are using. Just looking for a good addition to my collection in a caliber that I don't already have.

It's a heavy rifle at 11 lbs. from the factory compared to a remy 5r at 8.25 lbs., very heavy bbl but mine shoots great haven't heard many negative reports. The 260 and 6.5cm have 1:8 twist which works great w/ 140 amax for me.

Go with the LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.

Its a bull contour barrel vs. Sav Varmint, hence the weight.

Thanks for the info. I figured it would come in around 14 lbs when it was finished. I have been looking at this rifle for awhile and my wife tells me today I can buy it if I want to make one last purchase for the year but I don't want to buy it just to have it without hearing from a few others that have good or bad things to say about it. I have a few 700P's and they are not bad walking around but this will be one of those safe to truck to bench type of setups

I just purchased an LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. After today, I now have 100 rounds down the tube. Seriously one of the most consistent/accurate rifles I have owned.....and I have had a few custom rifles built by some of the best gusmiths out there......just saying ;)

BTW....we shot out to 1442 yards today.

That's reassuring to know. Seems like many out here are in their last ditch efforts to purchase before required long gun registration that starts in one month so the pickings are becoming rather slim for certain models. I am looking at every shop within a hundred miles or so from my house and so far .243's are all that I can find.

The 12 LRP is an excellent rifle at a good price point. If your intended usage is from 500-1000 yards I'd lean towards one of the 6.5mm cartridges over the 6mm (.243Win). It's a great cartridge, but to REALLY maximize it's effectiveness at longer range you're going to want to shoot the heavier bullets, which subsequently are longer in length. This extra bullet length generates the need of a faster twist barrel (1 in 8" vs 1 in 9.25") to better stabilize those bullets. If you don't reload I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmoor as good factory match quality ammo is available from Hornady at a very reasonable price. If you do reload well it's a toss up between the Creedy and a .260 REM. I happen to shoot both and am equally happy with them. Here is a good article comparing and contrasting the three most popular 6.5 cartridges for competition:

6.5mm Shootout: .260 Remington vs. 6.5x47 Lapua vs. 6.5 Creedmoor

The best place I know of to pick up a 12 LRP is Grab-a-Gun for $900 + $5 shipping:

Savage 12LRP 19137 6.5CREEDMORE 26-inch 4rd Matte Black Barrel Online Gun Store

If you need more than a four round magazine contact Dan at Dark Eagle Customs for a 10 round mag and one of his extended mag releases. Hands down these beat any other "high capacity" magazine on the market that uses the Savage DBM system. Plus Dan is a super nice guy! :

Darkeagle Custom, Inc.

I've run the snot out of my 12LRP this season in competitions and it's undergone a few changes along the way, but even bone stock it was VERY competative. Long story short, I pulled the factory barrel due to a manufacturing issue with the chamber (reamers wear out eventually). I replaced it with a Shilen Select Match pre-fit barrel which is an absolute hammer! The target accu-trigger was swapped out for a Rifle Basix. I picked up an action from Jim at Northland Shooter Supply and had the original factory barrel rechambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I also later swapped out the HS Precision stock for a Manner's T2. I essentially built a backup rifle from the take off parts and now have two Savage "LRP's". Buy it and you won't be regretting the purchase down the road.

Obligatory photos of my 12LRP's "metamorphosis" :

original config other than muzzle break and threading for suppressor:

Shilen barrel Manner's T2 stock added:

Backup rifle with original barrel and stock, now with fresh paint and Cerakote:

Bunsen27, lots of good info and thanks for the links. I resorted to on-line searches tonight as only 243's seem to be available in my local. I did find some good prices but as usual, they don't ship to California. Will give grab a gun a look.

David, I am also looking at 105's is if I go with the 243 option with the slower twist. I need to decide here soon before the wife renigs on the offer and uses the cash for x-mas "accessories" around the house. I already figured I am going to break down one of my 700P's that I don't use too much for scope, rings, and bipod

I shoot my lrp in 260 out to 1200-1400 yards with no problem. I will say it is the most accurate gun I own. Little recoil and puts 140gr amax's in a ragged one hole

yes got a new 260 last month, just waiting for scope,great looking rifle.could not build up a remmy for that price (here in New Zealand)

I shoot the 130 Norma's (Golden Targets) out of my LRP .260. She loves'em and I've engaged targets out past +1200 with great success. Lots of fun to shoot and sub-MOA all day. (Stock rifle w/ no mods). As mentioned, she is a heavy PIG though.

Leaning toward a 6.5 creedmoor, will make decision tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

Backup rifle with original barrel and stock, now with fresh paint and Cerakote:

Nice paint.

Thanks!! Branden aka Shortbus does awesome paint work. His attention to detail is outstanding. Please check out some close up detail work photos and send him your business if possible. Great work and super nice guy.:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-coatings-camo-pics-thread-5.html#post2813800

Hairball, I had the backup rifle to the range today to re-zero it after Cerakoting. This is the Savage factory barrel with "equivalent" Hornady Factory ammo (new Hornady brass, 140gr AMax over 41.5 gr H4350) at 315yds:

Not too shabby for a factory rifle with ~factory ammo off a bipod and sand sock. ;) It actually beat out my Shilen barreled Manners T2 stocked .260Rem today. That only shot 0.700 MOA at 315yds. :rolleyes:

JUMP on one of these LRP's before the wife revokes the permission slip!! You won't be disappointed, though shooting anything inside 500yds MAY become a little monotonous. ;)

My savage with a 1 in 9.25 puts the 105 Bergers, AMAX and BTHP into little bitty groups. I've had 3 savage barrels in 243 and they all shoot 105s well.

...My LRP is a 260, however, I have a model 10 predator hunter max1 in 243 that shoots the 105 amax and 105 Bergers just as you describe. This stock hunting rifle will tick off folks at the 1000 yard range.

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor today.

Excellent rifle...I have a 10FP I rebarreled...I got a new unfired 12 LRP barrel in .243 from a guy that bought the rifle and rebarreled it to 6.5CM its since been rechambered in 243AI, the shank turned down from large shank to small at the same time it was rechambered...I've gotten 107SMK at 3050 and and 115 DTACs to 3150 and I'm not worried as much about barrel erosion with the AI chambering either...nice little ragged holes too...barrel is a heavy SOB though even fluted its still heavy...

Last edited:
    I just purchased an LRP 6.5 Creedmoor. After today, I now have 100 rounds down the tube. Seriously one of the most consistent/accurate rifles I have owned.....and I have had a few custom rifles built by some of the best gusmiths out there......just saying ;)

BTW....we shot out to 1442 yards today.

This makes me laugh... and want to say I told you so... haha!!!!

Kinda funny how many times I hear this exact same thing... over and over and over again.

DK

Looking forward to setting this up and will get to the range in Jan. once the folks depart after Xmas. Unfortunately, its going to take over a week to get here then I have to wait another 10 days until I can pick it up and by then its Christmas. Plan on going with the factory 140 loads for the first hundred or so then I will start on load development and see what I can do.

Congrats on the new toy, though the waiting game SUCKS! I don't believe the rifle ships with a picatiny rail anymore. EGW is a good choice along with Weaver, Warne, ect. You will want a rail for a round-top reciever. Also, you may get the newer style stock just as a heads up.

H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Vertical Grip Varmint Tactical Savage 10FP 110 DM 12 BBC Stocks - PST 101 114 129

Honestly, I would be surprised if you needed to tweak the load recipe much from the factory ammo. Granted your powder weight may vary from the listed 41.5gr due to the lot to lot variences of powder.

Look forward to the range report!

I ordered the one from the link to grab a gun. The one thing that I don't quite understand is that this morning they had two in stock for 903 and now that I purchased one, they now show one in stock at 850. Not too impressed with paying the extra 50, tried to call back and bitch but they are already closed.

12LRP/6.5 CM. Mine likes 140 gr Amax and 39.8 gr IMR4350. Target is at 600 yards on a not so calm day. The vertical is about 1.65" outside to outside. The horizontal is on me.

Attachments

• 20130509_153946.jpg
      20130509_153946.jpg
      87.9 KB · Views: 29
    Nice setup.

I am interested in the Darkeagle magazines. My Amax140 is loaded to 2.88". Could you please tell me the maximum cartridge overall length that fits in it?

Thanks
    Kevin

Nice setup.

I am interested in the Darkeagle magazines. My Amax140 is loaded to 2.88". Could you please tell me the maximum cartridge overall length that fits in it?

Thanks
    Kevin

To the best of my recollection it is over 2.90" OAL. The Savage Darke Eagle mags are pretty roomy.