• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 12 varmint conversion

dwhunts

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2010
Oklahoma
Hey; I'm new to "the hide", and I've got something I'd like you guys to help me with. I've got a Savage Model 12FVSS 22-250, that has been setting around for five years doing nothing. My plan is to make a sniper rifle out of it. I've been out of the tactical business for five or six years and haven't kept up on the new gear. I'm thinking I'm going to go with a 6.5 of some sort, with a shilen barrel swap. I'm leaning toward the 6.5-284, but would like any thoughts you have on the matter. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have on how I can build this rifle. It has a Choate Ultimate Sniper stock on it now, and I hate it. The only things I'll be sniping with it is deer, hogs, and paper, but I,d like to keep the weight down. Thanks for the help.

Re: Savage 12 varmint conversion

since no one else will I will help

manners/mcmillan stock of choice
cdi precision dbm w/aics mags
benchmark barrel of choice (all of their barrels are good but especially their 3groove 6mm 8twists,3g 9tw 7mm, 11tw 30cal) I would personally choose a 260 over the 6.5x284 or even better a 243,243ai, 6x47 with 115 dtacs.
Maybe a stockade supply bolt lift kit and bolt knob.

with this combo I can pretty much promise the rifle will be able to shoot under 1/2moa

only problem is this will be fairly expensive but also very badass.

I personally love the 6.5-284, but it is a barrel burner vs many of the tactical calibers (not any worse than the 243's really though).
The .260 is a pretty fine choice as well, IMO. All of the ones that Diggler suggested are solid choices too. That Savage probably is already capable of 1/2 MOA, at least most of the ones that I have experience with are incredible shooters stock.
As far as barrels go I have never shot a Benchmark, but it is my next barrel purchase from everyone that I know that has been shooting them and what I have read on the different forums. Nothing wrong with Shilen either as that is a barrel that I have used most often with my Savage builds. Then there is Brux, Kreiger, Bartlein, etc that all make superb barrels.

I am a Manner's fan myself and hope to have one for my next build (MCS-T5) w/Stiller TAC300 action. I too am seriously thinking about the 6.5-284 or a .260. It is really hard to go wrong with the majority of the better options available today.

Stick with your action, add a Manner's/McMillan, a great barrel and optics. It will be a damn fine gun, especially when you factor in that you can do most of your own smith work with the Savage, if you get a pre-fit barrel. If you really want to go all out, buy a custom action. There is no reason at all to throw the Savage action out unless you are willing to go with a custom action. Good luck!

6.5 creedmore. Many people say that the mcmillan is the best, you could go bell and carlson a2, or hs precision m24, Many people make replacement barrels er shaw, shilen, pacnor, lothar walther, sharp shooter supply carries either brux, or douglass, I have a douglass that shoots lights out. Many parts are availabe through sharp shootersupply. I hope this helps

Thanks guys. That is some great information, a lot of stuff I didn't know about. I have considered all the 6.5s you mentioned, but I thought 6.5-284 had the best track record. However, now that I know I have a dbm option, I'm wondering how the 284s case would work in that magazine. That creedmore is interesting, considering the shortness of the case, and the fact I'll most likely be loading 140 gr bullets. I was considering Shilen, due to the fact, they offer the 1-8" 4 groove ratchet rifling in 6.5. Have you heard any thing about it. Everything I hear is good.

Nothing wrong with Shilen barrels IMO. The pre-fits for the Savage's make it easy to replace the factory tubes and with Go Gauge and a few tools, you are off to the races. Go for it. The worst that could happen is it that she shoots lights out and you decide to to do a full custom in the future for an all out tactical rifle. Another nice thing about pre-fits is that you can buy a couple of different calibers for what you would spend to have a smith chamber, thread and install one barrel. Get bored with one, swap out barrels in less than 20 minutes and your back at it again!

if going with dbm short action don't bother with the 6.5x284 you will do just as well with any of the other 6.5's due to mag length issues of the284.

by the way benchmark will also sell prefit savage barrels, in fact they are about the same price as a shilen only you will be able to choose whatever options you would like.

The quote that I got for the pre-fit Benchmark barrels was about $100 more than I can buy pre-fit Shilen's from Northland on the Savage Shooters forums. Guess I need to find a new source for Benchmark Barrels! I would try them on one of my Savage's right now, if they were closer in price for similar build to the Shilen's.
I do intend to try one on the next build with a Stiller TAC300 action though.

are you comparing apples to apples because shilen has 2 different grade barrels. are you using select match shilen prices or just match? if you want it cheaper tell the guys at benchmark you only want it hand lapped once that should cut some cost since they normally do it twice.

I only use Select Match Shilens, so yes I am comparing apples to apples
smile.gif

I also know that Benchmark offers either cut rifling or button rifled barrels too.

Just thought i'd drop an update, if anyone cares. My Savage is at the gunsmith. I went with a 6.5-284, in a Shilen 4 groove 1-8. However I decided to have a gunsmith re-barrel the gun for me. I'm not using one of the Savage drop in's, I'm having the barrel nut deleted. The only reason is the looks really. The chamber portion of the barrel will be a little beefier, but in reality it's only for the looks. I can live with the barrel nut, but not if I don't have to. I still haven't decided on a stock, but I have decided to stay with the blind box mag. I will be doing some deer hunting with this gun, and I prefer a blind box for hunting. I put the rifle in the shop in December, but my gunsmith said it would be February or March before Shilen got the barrel to him. I'll post pictures when I get it back. Oh, yeah, and from the "it's a small world section" when I took my rifle to the gunsmith he informed me he had another one to do just like mine. I said, I guess great minds think alike. What a coincidence, same caliber and everything. The only difference he didn't want the ratcheted rifling, like mine.

good deal man. that nut bothered you that bad huh? i only notice mine when im taking the barrel off. they do have a smooth one now ive heard. sounds like a nice set up. what stock or are you going with?

Hmmm, removing the barrel nut for appearances? Huh? I wish I could add one to my rifle. The idea of readily swapping barrels is more intriguing than having another complete build performed. At least that's what my wallet tells me.

almost to 100. you can get a remage conversion that adds a barrel nut to a 700 system. good post though. better than most

To be honest the barrel nut didn't bother me in the least, but the gunsmith talked me into it. I have another 12 series in 243 win. that will be staying in stock condition. I'll keep my 22-250 barrel and swap it back and forth if I want. I haven't decided on a stock yet. I'm leaning toward the Manners, if I can keep the blind box mag. I need to call them. I just got transfered in my job, and had to move, so I've been busy. I'm settled in now though, I'll call'em next week.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwhunts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just thought i'd drop an update, if anyone cares. My Savage is at the gunsmith. I went with a 6.5-284, in a Shilen 4 groove 1-8. However I decided to have a gunsmith re-barrel the gun for me. I'm not using one of the Savage drop in's, I'm having the barrel nut deleted. The only reason is the looks really. The chamber portion of the barrel will be a little beefier, but in reality it's only for the looks. I can live with the barrel nut, but not if I don't have to. I still haven't decided on a stock, but I have decided to stay with the blind box mag. I will be doing some deer hunting with this gun, and I prefer a blind box for hunting. I put the rifle in the shop in December, but my gunsmith said it would be February or March before Shilen got the barrel to him. I'll post pictures when I get it back. Oh, yeah, and from the "it's a small world section" when I took my rifle to the gunsmith he informed me he had another one to do just like mine. I said, I guess great minds think alike. What a coincidence, same caliber and everything. The only difference he didn't want the ratcheted rifling, like mine.</div></div>

Please post some pics when this is complete. It is turning on a light in my brain to do something like that to mine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwhunts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest the barrel nut didn't bother me in the least, but the gunsmith talked me into it. I have another 12 series in 243 win. that will be staying in stock condition</div></div>

so you let your smith talk you out of the ability to change your own barrel without paying a smith (him) to do that work? the work that the barrel nut eliminated a trip to the smith (him) to have done.

Yea, dude, keep the barrel nut. Unless looks are worth a couple hundred extra dollars plus cost of blank every time you burn a barrel up or want to change calibers.

Well, I guess you could say that. But, as I stated, I have another 12 series to play with. My idea for this rifle is a dedicated long range tack driver. For that, precision & strength are key. IMO getting rid of the nut gives me a beefier chamber section of the barrel, and a stronger mating of barrel to action. With that said, don't get me wrong; I think Savage does a great job of engineering accuracy into their rifles. That's why I bought them in the first place. I'll put my 243 up against just about any varmint rifle in the world. I've done some amazing things in the field with it. For this build though, I wanted to give my gunsmith the freedom to make the rifle as accurate as he felt he could make it. I hope it works out for me. As with most things in life, you role the dice and see what happens. Besides you don't need a barrel nut to do your own barrel swaps. I know a guy who has a Ruger 77 Mk II, with 7-08 and a .50 muzzle loader barrels, all he uses is a strap wrench and go, no-go gauges. Thanks for the input, I love kicking this stuff around. It helps me think stuff through, and gives me knew ideas.

I've decided on a stock. I ordered a Bell & Carlson Medalist tactical. I like it, I think it's going to be a good one. I must also give props to Midway. I ordered it on a Wednesday and had in my hands Friday.

its so nice they are in missouri huh? im in Ks and stuff gets here quick

Hey, what's your DPMS there? I've been thinking about one in 6.5 Creedmoor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwhunts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To be honest the barrel nut didn't bother me in the least, but the gunsmith talked me into it.</div></div>

Steve Baldwin at Mechanical Accuracy?

No, Bruce Brumer in Davis, Oklahoma. Why, did you get the same advise?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dwhunts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, what's your DPMS there? I've been thinking about one in 6.5 Creedmoor. </div></div>

mine? its a 308 built on a mega MA-10 upper/lower. good stuff, high quality

65x284NormaSavage1.jpg

Here it is, at long last. 6.5x.284 Norma, 26" Shilen 8 twist ratchet rifled 4 groove, B&C medalist stock, and that's a Burris 2.5 to 10x42mm 30mm tube on it for now.

65x284NormaSavage2.jpg

I still have a paint job to do on the stock, but I'll do it after the barrel break-in.