• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 12BVSS new Chassis

LDsIlls

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2024
Midwest
Playing in the Gun Room reloading and decided to one day try F class. I have a Savage 12BVSS in a 22-250 and I am considering putting the action and barrel in a MDT Chassis (which one yet to be determined.)
Later after many 22-250 rounds at 500 with a new chassis and getting used to it. Ill true up the action and replace the barrel with a 338.
Scope is a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50MM with 30MM tube.

I'm open for advice please.

Larry

Playing in the Gun Room reloading and decided to one day try F class. I have a Savage 12BVSS in a 22-250 and I am considering putting the action and barrel in a MDT Chassis (which one yet to be determined.)
Later after many 22-250 rounds at 500 with a new chassis and getting used to it. Ill true up the action and replace the barrel with a 338.
Scope is a Sightron S-TAC 4-20x50MM with 30MM tube.

Larry
Check to be sure but I believe a 22-250 is a short action with a small shank diameter of 1.055”.
The .338 (I’m assuming Lapua) is a long action with a large shank. It also has a 0.585” bolt face diameter versus .473” for 22-250

Reactions: Dirty D
Really depends on if you want to just have fun and test/improve your abilities...or be competitive.

You can compete right now if you want (although long strings of fire with a .22-250 is going to burn your barrel quickly). You won't be competitive, but that doesn't mean you can't have fun and improve yourself.

If you are serious about this and insist on using your savage action; the chassis will help fit the rifle to you (but may not mechanically improve accuracy), the barrel swap is a must, but .338 Laupa (assuming) isn't an F-Class cartridge and the swap is going to be impossible in your 12. Something of your typical 6 - 6.5mm caliber on a .473 bolt face is going to suit you more - perhaps even a straight .284 Win or variant if you are getting serious. Those smaller 6s and 6.5s can hold their own in midrange (600 yards) though.

You'll also definitely want more magnification on the top end of your scope and a thin reticle if you are trying to be competitive.

I did not know that of the .338 and F class Thank you very much!

Good advise as well so I pick a 6mm in something . I already shoot a 6MM Remington 660 and have played with 6MM Benchrest over the last 40 years. So I am not stranger .244 bullets. In fact a 6MM Benchrest Barrel would indeed fit the SA Savage action once its trued.

Heck Ill just show up and start using my little 660...Hahaha

Reactions: LDsIlls
Anon,

I AGREE do not get me wrong the following is just my thoughts. The 12BVSS stock is great for fit and balance, however I have often wondered how well it will be able to be modified to control barrel harmonics. Shooting the little Sierra 53 grain match at 3915 out of mine works very very precise and 500 and will continuoly hold a 6inch group with a 5 mph 90degree wind. Thats on a 70F day at 29.5 barometric pressure and at 700f above sea level.

However what will happen with a 6mmBR 105grain Berger low drag boat tail, sure it will buck the wind no problem, but what about controlling barrel harmonics with the larger round?

Perhaps you are right it will be just fine. And I can save $1500 on a chassis swap.

All that is why I am here to spark my old brain to things I have not considered. Thank you Anon and Thank you all! Please continue with your thoughts.

God Bless and Be Safe ...Larry

Last edited:
Well just like many who have thoughts as I posted, a person wonders...would it be better to just buy a new rig and get rid of the 12BVSS.
I mean its not like I'M in my mid 30's anymore. A new rig would get me into "fun" competitive shooting much faster and more than not for the same price if one considers reselling the 12BSS.
For instance a Bagara MigMicro in a 6.5 PRC is $3100 on their website.
So many options and life is getting shorter by the second.

Larry here are a few thoughts I’ll share :
It may be worth going to an f class match with what you already have and get your feet wet in that discipline before building something else. A lot to be observed and learned from just participating even though your current BVSS in 22-250 is not the optimal tool for the job. I think something like that will guide you into a much better and more informed decision of what to do next. Making choices on what to buy and build without that experience is too much speculation and likely to lead to subpar results.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread about figuring out if you just want to have fun and improving your own abilities or being competitive - that decision will HUGELY change what you end up doing and the $ to go with it. There is a big reason why the competitive F class shooters have the rifle/cartridge/optic/front rest and bag setup/reloading capabilities/$$ that they do in order to be competitive.

Reactions: LDsIlls
Playing in the Gun Room reloading and decided to one day try F class. I have a Savage 12BVSS in a 22-250 and I am considering putting the action and barrel in a MDT Chassis...

Larry
I have a Savage Bravo chassis from KRG and it is very well designed, the toolless LOP kit makes it very adjustable. Worth a look.

Ryan...whats $ especially at my age...cant take it with me!
For guys that are at a serious competitive level I would estimate Around :
Action - 1200-1800
Barrel - 800’ish?
Optic - 1500-3000
Stock - 1000’ish ?
It can vary quite a bit but competitive F Class is not inexpensive. Reloading equipment and practices are also top notch.

HOWEVER, that kind of $ outlay isn’t required to participate so don’t let those figures stop you before you even begin. I would strongly recommend just entering an event or imitating a match on your own with what you have before buying or building more things. The experience gained is priceless and will lead you into what best to buy/build from there. (It’s not a Bergara Microlite 😉)
Some popular YouTube personalities you could take a look at are F Class John, Winning in the Wind, Erik Cortina and get a look at what competing F class might be.

For guys that are at a serious competitive level I would estimate Around :
Action - 1200-1800
Barrel - 800’ish?
Optic - 1500-3000
Stock - 1000’ish ?
It can vary quite a bit but competitive F Class is not inexpensive. Reloading equipment and practices are also top notch.

HOWEVER, that kind of $ outlay isn’t required to participate so don’t let those figures stop you before you even begin. I would strongly recommend just entering an event or imitating a match on your own with what you have before buying or building more things. The experience gained is priceless and will lead you into what best to buy/build from there. (It’s not a Bergara Microlite 😉)
Some popular YouTube personalities you could take a look at are F Class John, Winning in the Wind, Erik Cortina and get a look at what competing F class might be.
Okay Men a decision was made today thanks to every one of your inputs!

The story started this morning when I grabbed my coffee in The Gun room and put the 12BVSS in the vice. Then I said self " Somewhere.... you have the documents on this newly purchased toy you bought in long agao." Best part was "Indeed I did" along with several 500 yard test targets with 3-7 inch groups, wind at 235 degrees. Temp was 39f.

Guess what folks guns have doubled in 20 years and I have proof. Now a 12BVSS is the $1100- 1200 range on gunbroker. In Dec 2004 the 12BVSS cost me $565.87 at Scheels. A place I will never buy a gun from or shop again as the corporate folks then did respect wait periods...another story another time...Grrrrr.

Getting more forgetful as I also found out from the file I was looking at new "drop"in barrels back then as well. In fact that was one of the selling points Savages NSS Savage barrel nut and there change a caliber (barrel) in 15 minutes. So that whole smeal 20 years ago was my test to see what I could do with a poor mans bench rifle. The .22-250 was not my choice I feel it was the only caliber available without the wait. What happened to all of these grandeur dreams who knows?

Annon now your post is making more sense. In fact I am going to try a Criterion Barrel in a 6 Norma BR. Will order first of next month with options for around $100.

Hows this for realistic Numbers...
Whole Rifle $565.87
Optics- $689.00 Sightron SIII Long Range 4-20x50 30mm Tube mil reticle.
Rings - $200.00 X-Treme Duty™ – Ultralite™ Rings (Titanium/Alloy)
Barrel - $675.00
Total...$2129.87

Lets see how she works...I'll keep you updated. Thanks again for the help in re-focusing my brain!

Larry

Last edited:
Reactions: anon and Dirty D