• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

savage 12lrp or ruger m77 mark2

Kevin 53

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2011
mississippi
I'm interested in the savage 12lrp or the ruger m77 mark 2 in the 6.5 creedmoor. I want it for the range only. I want yalls opinions pros and cons of each. Thanks and merry Christmas

Kevin

Re: savage 12lrp or ruger m77 mark2

I seem to recall this thread somewhere... LOL.

Anyways, to answer that question... for me and my dime, it's only for Savage. I just don't have a liking for Ruger bolts.

The LRP is an awesome rifle, but a bit overkill for me though. However, since you stated it is for the range only... it's an awesome piece of equipment!! Good weight, great stock, solid receiver to work from, really nicely done trigger.

DK

Checkout 65creedmoor they have reviews on both rifles. I have a lrp on the way going to do a review first of the year.

If you want a quality rifle that will shoot tiny groups, buy the savage.

If you want a handsome rifle that shoots like shit, buy the ruger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you want a quality rifle that will shoot tiny groups, buy the savage.

If you want a handsome rifle that shoots like shit, buy the ruger. </div></div> ha ha a man of few words and to the point. Thanks fdkay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OBXLongRange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No pics but heres a review. http://www.65creedmoor.com/index.php?topic=459.0

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-65Creedmoor.htm </div></div> thank you for the info I have found a lot of info on the savage but not on the ruger. I'm going with the 6.5 creedmoor but not sure yet on the rifle. I'm not a gun builder or reloader yet but I want a rifle that is great shooter out of the box and one I can improve later. I want a 600-1000 yard rifle. I read somewhere its 1/3 rifle 1/3 ammo 1/3 shooter to make a good long shot. I will in time. I hope

that Savage is a great rifle out of the box, sure hard to bet against it.

OK, so if you are reading what everyone is saying... your choice is a done deal, for both the caliber and manufacturer.

Pretty easy choice to begin with if you ask me...

DK

Yep its a done deal. I hope I'm not to late to tell Santa. Thanks guys for the info and help on my first post dk. Yall have a merry Christmas

Savage had a demo day at our range. We got to shoot the LRP in 6.5 CM. My roommate thought it was boring cause he couldn't miss any shot? My LRP CM is on it's way.
You will be able to shoot right out of the box for some time to come. It comes with a good stock, trigger and barrel. Then when you think your out shooting it? Upgrade.
Good luck, hope Santa gets it right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: uncledog57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage had a demo day at our range. We got to shoot the LRP in 6.5 CM. My roommate thought it was boring cause he couldn't miss any shot? My LRP CM is on it's way.
You will be able to shoot right out of the box for some time to come. It comes with a good stock, trigger and barrel. Then when you think your out shooting it? Upgrade.
Good luck, hope Santa gets it right? </div></div> she will get it right I just gave her the number and gun shop number and who to ask for and he also knows will be here within 5 days

***Flame Alert***

I just wanted to say, I am a huge fan of Savage rifles, I own and shoot them and are some of my favorites. <span style="color: #FF6600">BUT</span>,

At the risk of getting flamed, I have to stand up for Ruger, at least mine.The first "real" rifle I ever bought, was the rifle in question by the OP. Mine was chambered in 25-06 however. After learning how to reload (on my own) and having spent a thousand or so rounds doing it, I finally found out what my gun liked. Two loads, 53.5gr of I4831 under a 75 Vmax, and the second was a 100SMK riding 49gr of H4831SC. Both of these loads would shoot far better than me consistently. And by that I mean .5 to .75 inches @ 100yds regularly, and on a special day when the planets aligned I managed to shoot a 4 shot 3/8 of an inch group at 200 yds. I am well aware that this is not common for Ruger's, or even alot of factory rifles. The first time I walked into a gunsmith's shop to order my first custom, he showed me several "winning" groups fired by his rifles. I know now that they were fine groups, but at the time I wasn't that impressed. I thought to myself; why should I spend 2 grand on a rifle that shoots the same as my 400 dollar Ruger? After the smith showed me a couple examples, I quickly understood why I needed to spend my coins, and I walked out having placed an order.

I still have that 25-06, still one of my old favorites. It still shoots good, but the ballistics dont fair well against my other rifles, and the more "traditional" setup doesn't appeal to me like my others, so it has sadly found its way to the dusty end of the rifle rack. I've been tempted to pull it out for old times sake and take it deer hunting, maybe next year.

Anyways, I just had to get that off my chest, I too would probably buy the Savage right now. I just think that I lucked out with that old Ruger.

Let the <span style="color: #FF6600">Flames</span> pour down upon me
cry.gif

Here is pic of the old stick, with my first custom, and a couple HUGE deer that were shot by each rifle.
doubledeer.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">***Flame Alert***

I just wanted to say, I am a huge fan of Savage rifles, I own and shoot them and are some of my favorites. <span style="color: #FF6600">BUT</span>,

At the risk of getting flamed, I have to stand up for Ruger, at least mine.The first "real" rifle I ever bought, was the rifle in question by the OP. Mine was chambered in 25-06 however. After learning how to reload (on my own) and having spent a thousand or so rounds doing it, I finally found out what my gun liked. Two loads, 53.5gr of I4831 under a 75 Vmax, and the second was a 100SMK riding 49gr of H4831SC. Both of these loads would shoot far better than me consistently. And by that I mean .5 to .75 inches @ 100yds regularly, and on a special day when the planets aligned I managed to shoot a 4 shot 3/8 of an inch group at 200 yds. I am well aware that this is not common for Ruger's, or even alot of factory rifles. The first time I walked into a gunsmith's shop to order my first custom, he showed me several "winning" groups fired by his rifles. I know now that they were fine groups, but at the time I wasn't that impressed. I thought to myself; why should I spend 2 grand on a rifle that shoots the same as my 400 dollar Ruger? After the smith showed me a couple examples, I quickly understood why I needed to spend my coins, and I walked out having placed an order.

I still have that 25-06, still one of my old favorites. It still shoots good, but the ballistics dont fair well against my other rifles, and the more "traditional" setup doesn't appeal to me like my others, so it has sadly found its way to the dusty end of the rifle rack. I've been tempted to pull it out for old times sake and take it deer hunting, maybe next year.

Anyways, I just had to get that off my chest, I too would probably buy the Savage right now. I just think that I lucked out with that old Ruger.

Let the <span style="color: #FF6600">Flames</span> pour down upon me
cry.gif

Here is pic of the old stick, with my first custom, and a couple HUGE deer that were shot by each rifle.
doubledeer.jpg
</div></div> no flames here thank you for the info nice pic did not mean to start flames out of all the rifles out there I got it down to the ruger and savage. My dad drives a Ford me I drive Chevy. When we get to talking trucks now that's a wild fire out of control. Merry Christmas