• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Savage 257 roberts

tehweej

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Montana
So I have to opportunity to trade my old 522 viper (POS) and around $50 or so for a Savage 110 in 257 roberts. I have heard two stories of the Bob, one that it is a maiming-no-good-fer-nuthing-better-off-to-use-a-22 caliber, and the other that it is more versatile than a 243 due to higher bullets weights. I personally have had great luck with a 243 as a deer gun, and this is what this will be. That and maybe pdogs and yotes. From what I read on teh intarwebs, 100gr pills at ~3000 seem to be the favorite loadings. I dont see why this would be so much different than a 243, only with the ability to go up to 120 gr pills. I reload, so ammo availability is not a concern. Input?

Re: Savage 257 roberts

The quarter bores (other than the 25-06 and 257 WM) really don't get much love. Inside 300Y you should be able to drop deer and speed goats with no prob. The thing is you already have the 243, so if you are just hankerin for a new cartridge then go for it.

I have a 250/3000 and it shoots pretty darn flat, low recoil etc, but I also have other rifles that I like much better.

I shoot 7x57 for medium game, and there is always a similar argument that the 7mm-08 is better and ammo is readily available. Since I also reload, the ammo thing is not a prob.

The one advantage I see to the trade, is if you decide the Bob is not a good fit, you can switch barrel that Sav 110 into pretty much anything you want; 260.270.280. 30-06 etc.

The quarter bores (other than the 25-06 and 257 WM) really don't get much love. Inside 300Y you should be able to drop deer and speed goats with no prob. The thing is you already have the 243, so if you are just hankerin for a new cartridge then go for it.

I have a 250/3000 and it shoots pretty darn flat, low recoil etc, but I also have other rifles that I like much better.

I shoot 7x57 for medium game, and there is always a similar argument that the 7mm-08 is better and ammo is readily available. Since I also reload, the ammo thing is not a prob.

The one advantage I see to the trade, is if you decide the Bob is not a good fit, you can switch barrel that Sav 110 into pretty much anything you want; 260.270.280. 30-06 etc.

My Dad purchased a Savage in .257 Roberts with a blued steel 2.5-7 Weaver scope for me when I was a young boy. I'll never forget, he had me practice till I could hit a beer can with every shot at a 100yds before we ever stepped foot into the woods. I've since hunted with 25 06, 30 06, 257wby, 270wby, 7mmwby and 300um. But the most one shot dead in their tracks kills, I would have to say was the 257 Roberts. I'm not saying it's better than the others listed because it's not. But I do know that it is a very effective deer cartridge.

I don't have a Savage, but I do have and use a 257 Rbts. in a Winchester M-70 Featherweight.

It's my main hunting rifle for deer/antelope. It's never failed me. Its accurate and does you use heavier bullets then the 243 though they arn't needed for deer size animals. I stick with the 87 gr weight.

The problem of many (earlier) 257s is they had a short throat. Not do with the Model 70.

I started my kids and grandkids hunting with my 257 Rbts.

Not many match bullets made for the 257, but its a hunting round, and a dern good one.

What I can't understand is people saying the 243 is a good deer round but the 257 isn't. In the 87-90 weight bullets the 257 is 200 fps faster.

I have nothing against the 243, I built one on a Model 70 for my wife, it works great and is super accurate but if I use SST's (my favorite deer bullet) in both, my 257 is just as accurate.

Now using 87 Bergers in the 243 is a different matter.

I would "wind burn" your buddy with this deal. "The Bob" has a pretty loyal following. It is a fine round for deer.