• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Savage 260 Remington Build

TwentyFiveTwenty

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2006
WA
This is my most recent build, which I'm putting together specifically for the upcoming HERT class at Thunder Ranch, and because I wanted something that could go out to 1000 yards + but that I can carry around more easily than my 300 WSM. It's nearly done:

4386023343_b590d11ab4.jpg

I built and installed the comb, bedded the stock, lapped the rings, built custom stock screws (why are the stock screws nearly a 1/4 inch too short?) lapped and bedded the scope mounts, and with a friend of mine we did the barrel and built the brake out of a hunk of 6061-T6. (He did most of the brake work!)

4346762408_726b02e764.jpg

I will get new glass for it (thinking of either the Vortex HD or the IOR 3-18. I will probably do one more bedding on it for some gaps I don't like the looks of, although really they are cosmetic.

I may do something on the bottom of the stock (to make it flat) and might put a rail on the front grip.

I'm dorking around with modding G3 mags to fit into the bottom metal. They'll be cut down to be 12 rounders with new stainless-steel lips. It might yet work, we shall see. At less than a buck a mag, it's the cheapest option by far to get the parts.

I don't think I'll lap the bolt face, etc.. I didn't do that on my last Savage and that thing routine shoots well under 1/2 MOA, so I'm going to see how this one shoots first.

And I will, at some point, duracoat it.

Building ammo now. Only one day at the range so far, looks like I'll be getting between 2700-2800 FPS with Remington brass, CCI BR Primers, Berger 140s and either H4350 or H4831SC.

++++

Re: Savage 260 Remington Build

if you get the G3 mags to fit, that will be a popular mod. nice brake

Hey! She's a little, erm, muscular in the middle. But she's not fat!

Mcgowen SS Premium Match, Bull, 1x8, 20 inches long.

Looks good. I wish HS would make that stock with a smaller contour, Id order one tomorrow.

I just popped for a Vortex HD to go on this rifle (thank you Scott).

Most expensive glass I've ever bought by, well, a whole lot, but I want to shoot Smallish Things, Quite Far Away. So I'm sure it's worth it! (right? RIGHT?)

smile.gif

Great thought on the Mags. If someone could come up with an inexpensive bottom metal, mag option they would have a big seller.

my Savage 260 Remington

100_1678.jpg

I just bought the 9rd mags from Sharp Shooter Supply for my Savage .260 they work great

Re: my Savage 260 Remington

After a few (very) frustrating days at the range (why do I forget that new load development can be a PITA?), I finally seem to be getting somewhere:
4396400105_c4864562fc_m.jpg

Hey Hank - Good to hear about those mags. I may try them as well. Are you going to leave the barrel on there, or put on something else?

Took the rifle to the Thunder Ranch HART class. Worked super well, excepting the fact that my rounds seem to be pushing the hairy edge of too hot - I blew my ejector on day two and after that about every 75 shots or so I'd blow a primer.

I used the mil std 300 Win Mag dope chart pushing a 190gr bullet as a baseline for my dope - generally I cut about a half mil off that as a starting point.

The Razor HD is great glass, I was really really happy with it as well.

I'm going to switch to the AI chassis as soon as it comes out for Savage. It's an amazing platform.

Here are some pics! The full set is here.

4493644295_a4c41d1ff7.jpg

4492616162_56ee7d3af9.jpg

4491979065_22942174b3.jpg

Hey Hank - Good to hear about those mags. I may try them as well. Are you going to leave the barrel on there, or put on something else?
[/quote]

I'm waiting on a broughton barrel
grin.gif
but I'm just going to use the stock one for now for fun.