• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing savage 338 chamber

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
I am reading info all over the place. Have any of you rechambered 338 lapua barrels for issues with sticking cases. I have one that shoots well but sticks cases even with lighter loads. I am going to reset head space first when the go gauge gets here. It seems a few guys did this and then ended up rechambering anyway.
Just wanted to see if anyone has hands on with these.
PS running lapua brass. I saw people had issues with other brands.
When I shoot 300smk past. 2400 it will stick cases after 5 rounds or so. If I slow fire I can shoot up to 2850 without sticking one. But as soon as the barrel warms up some like shooting a 5 shot group out comes the brass weight to get the case out.
Primer is not flat, no extractor mark except on the hottest load and I am not trying to run it that hard.

I had a customer bring one in that was sticking cases and the fix was to polish the chamber. It looked like they just reamed it and slapped it together.

I had a customer bring one in that was sticking cases and the fix was to polish the chamber. It looked like they just reamed it and slapped it together.

Did the chamber leave marks on the brass? I had a barrel that exhibited the same symptoms as maccrazy2 and never did find out why. It did not leave any marks on the cases.

No marks on my brass either. I called savage and was told I had to use black hills 250gr ammo. To be fair I did not try it as the 250 is not what I want to shoot. However I did try hsm and lapua and had issues with both.
There are a few people who played a game of hot potato with savage over this exact issue so I am going to take care of it myself. Hopefully I can just ream it .050 - .100 and set it back and cure the issue.

No marks on the brass from this one savage blamed it on the hornady brass being to soft, but the funny thing was when i polished the chamber correctly hornady brass worked perfectly.

I have set back a couple and rebarreled a couple. Some copper fouled horrible and it was best to replace the barrel.